Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS Bill Kelso Type A-1 (older style) Victory Capeskin (Size 44)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Recently, I have been downsizing my jacket collection as I find that I am simply not wearing them as often as I'd like and it irks me that some excellent jackets are sitting on hangers.

Reluctantly, I am offering my Bill Kelso Type A-1 for sale. This is an example of the A.C. Order No 31-800P Type A-1 in the seal brown, vegetable tanned Victory Capeskin, with a dull orange cotton lining and brown wool knits. The buttons have since been very carefully replaced with the honey vegetable Ivory buttons (which are less of a contrast and can be seen here (http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15707&p=146939&hilit=kelso#p146939). It labelled as a 44 and fits as such.

The hide is soft and pliable with a great smell and terrific grain. The pattern is first class and has been modelled very closely on the images in Suit Up for the standard Type A-1 from Bill Kelso. Notable exceptions to the other commercial offerings are the depth of the waistband - proportionately a little deeper than the A-2 (and best seen in the images of Gary Eastman's A-1). The sleeve is inset and rotated and the positioning of the grommets under the arm differs from the Eastman and Good Wear Type A-1 jackets. The collar knit is the one that you see rarely in some of the early images of Type A-1 jackets (with a single button/button loop, more pronounced turn down and a rebated stitched line). The knits are high quality - taut and with a close weave.
The tailoring is exceptional (straight and regular) and the button holes (keyhole) are very well executed and the stitching is tight and even with a well finished edge.

The current retail price for the Victory Capeskin is £700 plus postage, I am asking £600 plus postage/fees. I will post worldwide.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
More images of the Bill Kelso Type A-1.

You can really see this on the pocket with the double seams around the edges of pocket body and flap.

[/quote]

My oversight, the dimensions (with the jacket, buttoned laying flat) are:

Chest (pit to pit) 24.5"
Back length (leather panel below neck knit to base of woollen waist knit) (26").
Front length (leather panel below neck knit to base of woollen waist knit) (23").
Sleeves (25")
Shoulders (19")

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR