Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: late 30s Stetson Special Homburg midnightblue Size 7 1/4

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Up for sale is a late 1930s/ earliest 1940s Stetson Special Homburg midnight blue Size US 7 1/4" (snug, fits in-between 7 1/8 and 7 1/4 or a regular 7 1/4 once broken in)

This is one occasion where I'm asking more than what might be customary for a Homburg of whatever vintage. The condition of this hat is simply incredibly good. If you have the hat in hand, you'll see what I mean.
Most Homburgs sell for around $150 or even less, since the market for Homburgs is much smaller than the market for Fedoras.
For the record, I listed this hat once in the Classifieds, but removed it later.

$235.- shipped worldwide (from Germany)

Dimensions 5.5" x about 2 1/2" curled, on a rather straight block - not quite #52, but nearly there.

This specimen is absolutely mint, inside and out. It's like walking into a store back in the late 30s and buying a new hat. The felt has a very dense finish and is very malleable. The hatband and binding appear to be an extremely dark shade of midnight blue. At first I thought it was black, but now that I've seen many more black and near-black ribbons, I see it as midnight blue. The felt itself is true midnight blue; it looks nearly black in low light, and it has a subtle blue shade when viewed in full sunlight - quite unlike navy felt, which pops in the sunlight, revealing a stronger blue shade.
The sweatband is stamped with the coveted deep embossing that fell out of use by the 1940s.
The liner material is rather special; it has a very dry feel. It could be a fine, "dry" silk or an early rayon.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Dropped considerably to $80 including worldwide shipping because of need elsewhere (you know how it is) and because in the meantime, a few stitches at the front have popped. Note that these older sweats are double stitched; the outer stitch line is popped at a 1 1/2" section, but the inner/lower stitch line is intact, so the sweat is still holding its position very well.

Immediate dispatch on this one.

Axqx2U6.jpg

4a48oeH.jpg

ItjOWsL.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I just realized that the sizing info is too vague.

This hat will ideally fit a 57.3cm head circumference, or slightly smaller. Due to the popped stitches I would advise against stretching the hat, unless you're prepared to replace the sweat.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Bump.

$80 including worldwide shipping

Ideally fits 57.3cm head circumference (22 9/16")

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
This hat is available again.

Without going into details, it looks like there won't be any payment nor communication from the fellow who received the invoice two days ago. Anyone interested in the hat, just contact me to get in line.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Right, the hat is yours as far as I'm concerned, Rogera. The old invoice is cancelled; I see no reason for further delay on account of someone who didn't respond to invoicing once before - for 1-2 weeks.

Edit: Sold.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff