Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Unique AERO 1930s Half Belt Slim Fit - Fits Like Size 42XLong

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Here‘s your chance to grab a unique, one of a kind leather jacket from one of the world‘s premier leather jacket makers. There is not a single jacket in the world like this and there never will be. AERO cannot replicate this even if they wanted to.

The 1930s Half Belt is a timeless, classic design. The belt accentuates your waist and gives your back that manly V-shape appearance.

It is made from AERO‘s famous brown heavy front quarter horsehide. This hide is renowned for the beautiful patina it develops. In my opinion it is the most beautiful jacket leather you will ever see. As you can see from the pictures, the leather has quite some character and changes its appearance depending on the light.

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

A size 40 with lengthened sleeves and slightly longer back, this jacket is heavily customized. It fits like a 42.

IMG_0953.jpg

The most obvious deviation from the standard design are the pockets. Instead of one slanted breast pocket it has two horizontal pockets. But the real special thing are the lower flap pockets that button with a horn button. Together they serve to reminisce of the civilian cyclist jackets used both by German Luftwaffe fighter pilots like Erich Hartmann and French Résistance fighters during WWII. The throat latch with snap is also typical for this style.

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

Another design feature not as obvious as the pockets is the sleeve design. As AERO‘s sleeves tend to be very baggy I had them slim down the sleeves. If you are a weight lifter this jacket is probably not for you. But if you go for a trim, fitted look this jacket is the real deal. The sleeves are made from two pieces instead of the standard three. Instead of buttoned cuffs they have a strap and buckle.

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

Continued in the next post...

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Contrary to the standard design both front and back have the same length.

The jacket is completely lined with olive drab gabardine. This fabric was used by AERO as an outer shell for their B-10 jackets. Talk about sturdy, abrasion resistant lining! AERO does not have this OD gabardine anymore. So if you want a jacket with this incredible lining, you‘ll have to buy a used one. In the sleeves the gabardine is overlaid with burgundy rayon for ease of wear.

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

At the cuffs and at the bottom hem is a two inch leather strip to prevent the lining from sagging. AERO do all their custom work at no extra charge, except this. This feature will cost an extra £50.00 if you order from AERO.

IMG_0954.JPG

On the left there is an inside pocket with snap stud (pistol pocket). All pockets are lined with sturdy brown corduroy. It is fitted with a sturdy AERO zipper. All hardware is nickel colored.

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0964.JPG

Last, but not least, the collar is pointier and a tad longer than AERO‘s standard collar. A thread is starting to come loose at the back of the collar. This is invisible when worn. If you choose you can have it repaired by AERO. AERO give a lifetime warranty on all seams.

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

Apart from this small issue the jacket is in pristine condition.

I have worn this jacket for about a year and it has already developed a wonderful patina. With wear it will only get better. It is not completely broken in yet. When zipped up it can still stand on its own. But the leather has softened considerably and developed creases in all the right places. There are some light scuffs and marks, adding to the character of the jacket. These jackets aren‘t supposed to be babied. Back in the day they were considered work wear. AERO jackets are tough and can take a beating. AERO actually recommend not to use any conditioner or wax for the first several years, as the leather is stuffed with waxes.

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

...continued...

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0952.jpg

Outside measurements are as follows:

Back width (top of shoulder seam to seam): 49 cm/19.25 in
Back length (from collar seam to hem): 63.5 cm/25 in
Front zipper length: 51 cm/20 in
Pit to pit: 59 cm/23.25 in
Sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff): 71 cm/28 in
Sleeves (pit to cuff): 50 cm/19.75 in

I paid £565.00 for this jacket. AERO have raised their prices considerably since then. If you were to buy this jacket new now, it would set you back
£675.00/US $1,055.00/€865,00, plus customs if you live outside the EU. Except that you can‘t get a jacket like this, as the olive gabardine lining is not available anymore.

I am asking £400.00/US $625.00/€515,00. Shipping to Germany is €5,90, to the EU €15,00/£12.00, and to the US €52.00/US $63.00. Yes, it is expensive to the US, but it is the cheapest way to send it with insurance.

Spare yourself the hassle of waiting 3-4 months for the jacket to be made and then having to break it in. You will get a truly unique jacket. Buy it now before somebody else snatches it up!

Payment by PayPal. Please PM for any questions.

Thanks,
Rudie

Last edited:

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Why are you selling this jacket? It seems like the perfect jacket for your needs. Are you tired of horsehide? I've seen another of your jackets in goat.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
It doesn't fit properly. The shoulders are fine, but it's too wide in the chest and waist for me. I could wear a watermelon underneath it. That's why I had the other jacket made. Now I don't need this one anymore. Yes, I know - you can't have too many leather jackets in this part of the internet. ;) If it was a better fit for me I would never let it go.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
True. The sleeves go only down to my wrist, though. A lot of people prefer their leather jackets with longer sleeves that go down to the pinch between thumb and index finger. That would be two inches more. So if you have 26 in arms and like your sleeves to go down to the pinch it should be just right. Or have them shortened by AERO. It's an easy fix for them.

Oh, and AERO do tend to err on the large side when it comes to sizing. Wade from Insurrection routinely recommends one size smaller than AERO do for the same person. So the size 40 is actually good for someone with a 42 chest. A 1930s Slim Fit Half Belt isn't supposed to wear as boxy as a mall jacket.

Thanks to your post I realized I had a typo in the pit-to-pit measurement. It's 23.25 in and not 21.25!

Last edited:

cornish1970

New in Town
It doesn't fit properly. The shoulders are fine, but it's too wide in the chest and waist for me. I could wear a watermelon underneath it. That's why I had the other jacket made. Now I don't need this one anymore. Yes, I know - you can't have too many leather jackets in this part of the internet. ;) If it was a better fit for me I would never let it go.

What size chest/waist are you?

Love the jacket but a little worried about the size.

I am 6ft tall with a 40" chest and a 32" waist so would probably need the longer arms.

Used to be much bigger and just getting to grips with buying clothes that fit! Shirt size is 15.5" due to larger shoulders.

I want a good fitting jacket but don't want it too baggy round the middle.

cheers

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
cornish, I guess it depends what fit you are after. If you want a really snug fit it's not for you. I have the same chest and waist size as you. For my taste it's too baggy, that's why I am selling. I was going after the very snug fit the Luftwaffe guys used to have.

jps79

New in Town
Dear Rudie,

I connot send a PM due to my member status.
I`m a member for one year now, but I never posted before.
Would you please send me a PM so I can get in contact with you?

Thanks
Jörn

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Jörn,

I tried to contact you, but sending you messages is blocked by the system. I think you have to get 15 posts first. Just post in some threads and show your appreciation about some jackets or hats. You'll have 15 posts in ten minutes this way. ;)

Thanks
Rudie

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I hoped it would sell pre-Christmas, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. :)

Now I need to sell my Avirex/Cockpit Irvin. Since getting my Swedish M1909 shearling lined parka I don't wear it anymore. When I have sold the Irvin I'll probably buy a Barnstormer and then I won't ever buy me another leather jacket again.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Rudi, have you been posting Pictures of the Swedish parka coat here on FL ?
would like to see how it looks like. Would you care to post some pics if not, please.
Grüss
Allan

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
I currently own this jacket, and it's GORGEOUS.... and a perfect fit for my rather odd frame! I'm looking to have an Aero made later this year, and would love to secure the measurements of this one. Rudie, if possible, could you please be so kind as to PM them to me, if you still have them--or will Aero have them on file?

Many thanks!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
tweedydon, I am happy to hear that my jacket has finally found its way to someone who really appreciates it. So I guess the Swedish guy I sold it to gave up breaking it in? He told me that it was a perfect fit but he found it too stiff and was thinking about reselling it.

I think I sent them my body measurements. Sleeves were 69 or 70 cm and length was 24.5" (sorry, too lazy to do the math). The jacket was very heavily customized, with slimmed down two-piece sleeves (I asked for Japanese configuration). I don't think Aero still do this kind of customization. Even though I gave them my exact measurements it was a very bad fit for me. They basically took a standard size 40 (which was great in the shoulders but way too large for me in the chest and waist/hips) and fitted the slimmer sleeves. I would never have let it go if it had fit me better. Looking at the pics again I envy you for your great jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner