Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Vintage Stetson Sovereign Suede Finish 7 1/4 (Similar to Dobbs Gay Prince)

Landman

One Too Many
I recently purchased this hat and the Seller said it didn't have a size tag but he bought several hats from the same estate and the others were 7 3/8. Once I received it I found a size tag in it and it is a 7 1/4. It does feel like it has been stretched slightly because I can almost wear it but not quite. So I would describe it as a large 7 1/4 or very small 7 3/8. It is a Stetson "The Sovereign" with a suede finish. The brim and ribbon treatment reminds me of a Dobbs Gay Prince. The color is a mid brown and best represented in the 5th photo. It has no moth bites, the sweatband is supple and the liner is in nice shape. It is certainly not pristine and does show normal use. The only real issues are some thread on the brim is loose and a whiteish stain on the back underside of the brim. That stain might come off but I haven't tried it because it is really not that noticeable. The liner is not sewed in but is held in place nicely by the sweatband. It has the initials "RLN" punched in the sweatband by the back bow. I believe the hat is from the 1950's. I don't know for sure about that but maybe another lounger can help with the date. The sweatband looks 40's to 50's to me though. If you don't like the brim and ribbon treatment this would be a good candidate to put on a new ribbon and a brim binding. The felt is very nice and soft on it. I'm asking $75.00 shipped anywhere in the US. I'm just trying to get my money back and thought I'd offer it here before I put it back on eBay.

Stetson_Sovereign_714100.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714101.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714102.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714103.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714104.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714105.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714106.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714107.jpg

Stetson_Sovereign_714108.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Very very nice hat. Very similar to a Dobbs Gay Prince. I think people would recognize it as a Gay Prince look alike, so to speak. I think it would be a shame to change the ribbon, as that is a distinctive characteristic of the hat. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find a buyer. Nice hat.

Landman

One Too Many
I agree. If it fit me I would leave it like it is. I just thought I'd mention that option though. After looking it over closely I thought to myself that with a brim binding and new ribbon it would look like a Stratoliner or Open Road. The sweatband feels very soft to the touch and should be very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy