Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS VTG 1940s Doniger/McGregor Sportswear M422 (size 44)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I am selling my McGregor Sportswear/David D Doniger M-422.

[/url[URL=http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Sly--Sly/media/doniger%20m422a/DSCN1933_zpse1142cca.jpg.html]
[/quote]

The shell is a thick, soft capeskin - the grain is incredibly subtle and very similar to my former McGregor AN-J-3. This example retains more of its original tan surface finish (with pale stitching).

The pockets are wide with a pen slot in the left one (unlike the M-422A both pockets are identical in width) with pale brown horn buttons on the pockets and the underside of the collar.

The sleeves are rotated and inset with underarm expansion (each with three underarm grommets).

The collar has a typical Doniger profile with narrow points, but has a mouton facing in common with the contemporaneous M-422 naval jackets. There are three horizontal lines of stitching across the underside of the rear of the collar. It has the same folded hanger loop as the Doniger A-2 and a 'V' shaped throat flap; all other details appear to be the same as the AN-J-3 pattern.

Doniger had one wartime contract for 5,000 A-2 jackets (W535 AC 29971 42-21539P) and Gary Eastman cites the cost per jacket as $8.15. This is widely acknowledged as being among the most elegant of A-2 patterns and tailored to a high level of finish. One assumes that Doniger ran up and put forward AN-J-3 and M-422 patterns for consideration, but these were not taken forward, perhaps on the basis of cost.

The hide has some minor grazes and cuts commensurate with its age (ca. 1943), there is some flaking to the shoulders (common in capeskin jackets), but I have carefully using a leather adhesive and these perfectly stable. The waist knit (a single ply rib rack) is in excellent, unholed condition; the wrist knits have some holes, but minor darning only is needed. The knit has a subtle red/brown two tone thread.

The bronze/green lining has opened up along the vertical seams, but is an easy fix - it is unstained and has no smells (simply tanned cape skin).

The mouton has some wear along the edge, but is otherwise tight and clean.

The jacket retains is label - a red/green McGregor Sportswear design with an integral '44' size, dating it to the early 1940s.

The double marked bell shaped Talon (on a pale brown tape) is in excellent condition and works very smoothly.

Dimensions (measured flat with flexible tape)

Pit to pit
Front length 24.5"
Back length 25.5"
Shoulders 19"
Sleeves (around edge) 23.5"
Sleeves (pit to knitted cuff) 21"

This is a robust jacket for regular wear in a rare larger size.

I am asking £450 plus any shipping (at cost) - I will post worldwide.

Reactions: MET

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner