Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fusing modern/vintage styling

freddyboy

New in Town
You know, it's funny. This discussion reminded me of a conversation I had last night with my fiancee about bread. She just returned from a trip to Europe, and she commented that every single corner store had amazing croissants, but, in the US, we have to travel far and wide to find decent bread. The difference, we concluded, is that here in the states, our bread is imported from a factory hundreds of miles away, filled with preservatives and chemicals, whereas in europe, most bread is still baked locally.

It's the same with clothing, I think: The more mass-produced clothing is, the more ill-fitting it is. Off the rack doesn't substitute for the days when every guy (and gal) owned a couple of suits that were custom made by a tailor -- by a craftsman -- and tailored for his body. Of course everything looked better.

I've never had a suit custom made, but I'm coming around to the idea.

Renee

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
I
I'd like to see more femenine contenet in the magazine and wearabout ladies may obtain clothes that hark back to the romanc of th golden era ...

As a female, I would love that. Right now, women's magazines are all concerned with current fashion, and there's virtually nothing available (at least that I know of) that will help women who want beautiful classics with that touch of "romance" create a wardrobe.

I don't want cheap feeling Stop Staring dresses or cut-down-to-there Rockabilly styles. I want beautiful, classic and timeless. :)

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Greetings, 6StringShooter,

As a newbie myself, I can tell you that my own preference is for modern but classically-styled (not necessarily vintage-looking, but not the sort of thing you'd find in GQ) suits, vintage or vintage-styled ties (the fabric is just too thick on modern ties to tie a proper knot, at least for me), a good pair of wingtips, and a great hat. Much as I'd perfer otherwise, I need to function in the modern business world, but am for some reason drawn to the 30s and 40s. So, I've struck a compromise that works for me and that I'm comfortable with. I find that this applies to other aspects of my life besides clothing as well. I love vintage cars, but find it more practical to drive a new one. As you can probably tell, I also like old airplanes and do own and fly vintage aircraft - with modern GPS navigation systems. Thanks to this group, I've recently rediscovered the fountain pen, but still carry a PDA. And, as much as some of us, myself included, would like to live in a truly "vintage" world, we're all typing on computers! Just do what feels right. In my short time here I've learned a lot, even though I thought I knew a lot already. I'm sure my preferences will change over time through exposure to the fine folks here, and that's ok too. So far, it seems like we've got a pretty well-mannered group here, another attribute of bygone days!

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
I too hope to see Classic Style continue blending modern and vintage to create the classic look that never goes out of style. There are some things that are just timeless.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
I think the key here is "timeless"...the styles that will always look gender-specific and never go out of style. These styles will always look elegant, classy, and will always complement the male or female phisique respectively. I'm right there with you, staggerwing...I also find myself sifting through modern clothing racks finding classic elements hidden amongst the more modern stuff.

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Renee said:
*snip*

I don't want cheap feeling Stop Staring dresses or cut-down-to-there Rockabilly styles. I want beautiful, classic and timeless. :)

Understandable. But if one wants those qualities, one must be prepared to pay for them, which most are unwilling to do.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I feel much the same way as Staggerwing. I try to dress with a "classic" style, but not necessarily vintage. In fact, the only vintage items I own are hats and wristwatches. The rest of my wardrobe is all modern.

I love the Golden Era and try to dress in a way that reflects more of a Classic style: tucked in shirt, overcoat over my nicer clothing, polished shoes, well-fitting clothes (no baggy or ripped clothing), occasional cuff links, etc. I top it off with a fedora. I wear the hat for practical reasons, but I must admit that it was the look of the fedora that led me to purchase my first one. It has such class and style. But more importantly, it keeps me warm and dry when the weather is cold and wet.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
SinatraStyle said:
I feel much the same way as Staggerwing. I try to dress with a "classic" style, but not necessarily vintage.

that's EXACTLY what I do...not because I am against vintage stuff...I just don't have any yet! I've always worn a pocket square (you don't see that much anymore) but I am definitely drawn to the look of a fedora.

SinatraStyle said:
I top it off with a fedora. I wear the hat for practical reasons, but I must admit that it was the look of the fedora that led me to purchase my first one. It has such class and style. But more importantly, it keeps me warm and dry when the weather is cold and wet.

That very same "look" is what is leading me to purchase my first fedora in earnest. It is classy and stylish, but still has a practical application. My kinda stuff!!!

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I forgot to mention the pocket square...I'm the only person in my company that I have seen wear one. It's a shame, it really completes the suit.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Renee said:
I don't want cheap feeling Stop Staring dresses or cut-down-to-there Rockabilly styles. I want beautiful, classic and timeless.

Tough Cookie said:
Understandable. But if one wants those qualities, one must be prepared to pay for them, which most are unwilling to do.

True and true. I talked to a friend who wanted me to make her a dress. Now this would be a hand made dress to fit them, and I quoted $230 (not including fabric and the like) and they just about flipped out! I didnt tell them I was giving them a deal, but she expected it to cost about $50 :eek: (she didnt even factor in fabric).

The USA imports over 95% of all clothing sold here. Its no wonder people dont know how a garment made to them would cost. *sigh*

That quality and individuality of a custom garment is all but lost. It shouldn't be a knitch market, it should be common place, no matter vintage, or modern. I think that is what Classic Style may communicate. Or at least I hope.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR