Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-8 shearling USAF jacket?

jj

New in Town
Hello folks, you seem to be the enthusiasts and experts on this subject, so I brought a question to you:

The other day I decided I wanted to find a good looking shearling jacket. Looking around, most are really ugly, but I found this jacket on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:42&item=8387153275&id=&sasel=

And I like the style of this one. It claims to be a USAF issue item, but I can't find anything online to support that. The only G-8 jacket I can find looks nothing like this. I don't particularly care if it is an official anything, but I wonder if anyone has seen one of these and/or knows anything about it. If it is a fake issue jacket, my guess is it's not worth more than $160 retail (probably a lot less), which would mean it is pretty much junk. If it were surplus of some kind it might be better quality.

Anyone seen one of these before?

Thanks.

P.s. Looks like someone made a smiley of me. :beer:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Not even a repro, just a modern ?¢‚Ǩ?ìin the vague style of?¢‚Ǩ? thing. The USAF doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t issue a fur lined leather jacket, and if it did it wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t make them from lambskin or in Turkey. It will indeed be junk.

There used to be a USN synthetic jacket called a G-8 - Vietnam era - might still exist. Others will know more about it than me. i do know it doesn't look anything like that thing!

Averix do a 1930s style goatskin jacket they call a G-8. It was their own design based on the WW2 USN M445/ANj4 family and rather nice. But they tried to pass it off as a repro of an original USN model, which allowed other companies to do even better copies of it without infringing any copyright! Hubris. Anyway, that also is nothing remotely like this thing.

Don't buy it!

jj

New in Town
nightandthecity said:
Not even a repro, just a modern ?¢‚Ǩ?ìin the vague style of?¢‚Ǩ? thing. The USAF doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t issue a fur lined leather jacket, and if it did it wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t make them from lambskin or in Turkey. It will indeed be junk.

There used to be a USN synthetic jacket called a G-8 - Vietnam era - might still exist. Others will know more about it than me. i do know it doesn't look anything like that thing!

Averix do a 1930s style goatskin jacket they call a G-8. It was their own design based on the WW2 USN M445/ANj4 family and rather nice. But they tried to pass it off as a repro of an original USN model, which allowed other companies to do even better copies of it without infringing any copyright! Hubris. Anyway, that also is nothing remotely like this thing.

Don't buy it!

Thanks, that's what I figured. Now another question: is there another jacket out there that is similar in design to this one? Shearling, dark brown or black sheep/lambskin with brown or black wool, a bit longer than usual bomber length, standup but not huge collar, possibly a zipoff hood?

Thanks again.

:beer:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
G8..? Do they sing?

G8..sounds like one of these boy bands rather than a flying jacket. I'd give it a wide berth if I were you. Sound advice from the rest of the boys here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21