Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G & B Raider Anybody?

ron521

One of the Regulars
I'm 5' 10", and weigh about 160. Most of my other jackets are 40 R, and fit well, including my Schott 184 SM.
What attracts me to the Raider is the particular mix of features....G1 style back and gussets under the sleeves for freedom of movement, internal storm flap, with A2 collar, NO epaulets,and the zipper pockets, which clean up the look considerably.
I see it as a contemporary blend of the best features of classic flight jackets.

Windward

Practically Family
I'm 5' 10", and weigh about 160. Most of my other jackets are 40 R, and fit well, including my Schott 184 SM.
What attracts me to the Raider is the particular mix of features....G1 style back and gussets under the sleeves for freedom of movement, internal storm flap, with A2 collar, NO epaulets,and the zipper pockets, which clean up the look considerably.
I see it as a contemporary blend of the best features of classic flight jackets.

Agree! Could be an alternative to my much-loved Windward style.

kb777

New in Town
I just ordered the G&B AN-J-3 seal brown goatskin...I was going back and forth on the size. In a suit I alternate between a 42 and 44, and i gave them my measurments and told them I like a looser fit, so I can layer a thin sweater if need be...they recommended I go with a 44...how have you found the fit of your AN-J-3? Is it pretty true? Thanks.

rolando_ol

Familiar Face
HI, I'm bumping this old thread to see if anyone has pics in any way - fit, the brown goatskin and how it ages, etc, that'd be great! based on the thread where you all helped last week, I've decided to buy this but I really want to see something. Thanks!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The chrome tanned goat does't wear. It will look new for many years. I have several G&B's. The Raider is a nice jacket.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have two G&B jackets, an 11-year-old Civil A-2 and an 8-year-old M-422A. I have to concur that their goatskin hardly changes at all with wear. Even the black goatskin A-2, which is my most-worn jacket, only shows slight fading to the undercoat on the windflap and epaulet edges. And the seal brown goat on the M-422A still looks nearly new.

G&B jackets are great, nicely made and very tough. But you shouldn't expect their goatskin to age interestingly unless you put them through some really rigorous conditions. The way it's tanned and dyed, it's meant to last as it starts out, not to develop character with wear.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Part of the character of the chrome tanned G&B goatskin is that it is incredibly durable and shows virtually no signs of wear. Even the lining is very durable.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
They also make the Raider in a vintaged cowhide that looks very nice. There used to be a picture on like page 10 on google images, but I'm too lazy to dig it up. There are also a few raider eBay listings that ended last week. Just type it up on eBay and filter the search to "sold items".
You might consider the black goatskin as well. I've tried one on before. Barely any of the premium makers offer a black goat option.

rolando_ol

Familiar Face
Actually the knits attract me about the jacket! I have to say its really impossible to see a photo of a person wearing one, why is G&B's site so frustratingly old-school?

schitzo

Suspended
When I was in San Diego visiting the G&B factory a year or two ago, the AN-J-3 was my favorite, although I picked up an Expedition (Indy) instead that is the perfect light weight jacket for casual use, especially if you want a jacket without knits.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293985/Expedition.html

Say Fanch, while you were there did you happen to try on a raider? Looks quite a good jacket it makes me wonder about their long sizes

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
They also make the Raider in a vintaged cowhide that looks very nice. There used to be a picture on like page 10 on google images, but I'm too lazy to dig it up. There are also a few raider eBay listings that ended last week. Just type it up on eBay and filter the search to "sold items".
You might consider the black goatskin as well. I've tried one on before. Barely any of the premium makers offer a black goat option.

I have a second Expedition (Indy) that was a special order in black goatskin that has an over sized nickle zipper from someone who flaked; so G&B sold it to me at half price. The production manager told me at the time that G&B no longer does special orders since they lose money when their jackets are sold at half price. I will say that the black goatskin is very nice.

Say Fanch, while you were there did you happen to try on a raider? Looks quite a good jacket it makes me wonder about their long sizes

Schitz, I think that I recall looking at the Raider but was much more impressed with their AN-J-3 jacket in seal brown goatskin. Their seal brown is much lighter in color (colour :D) than the dark brown goatskin, and I preferred the seal over dark brown. I'm not saying that the AN-J-3 is better than the Raider but just my preference when I compared the two together. However, the Raider is listed at $408 whereas the AN-J-3 is listed at $588. ;) I would still pick the AN-J-3 even if the pricing were reversed; it just seemed to be a nicer jacket than the Raider.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Gibson Barnes jackets were my introduction to premium leather jackets. I will say that my experience with them was extremely pleasant. Great people at the Barnes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy