Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable's Tuxedo

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Hello to all,

Can anyone tell me what type of tuxedo Gable is wearing in this photo?

Thank you,

Cgab

normal_3169689_10.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Looks like a peak lapel single breasted with an awesome vest and some really high waisted trousers with forward pleats. I could go into more detail, though the main thin that makes it look so good is the fit and the cut of pretty much a standard tuxedo.

Shawl lapelled three button vest with that amazing cut and tight row of buttons. I think that's the kicker on the outfit.

DerMann

Practically Family
Is it still possible to acquire a (modern) waistcoat in that style without having it made bespoke?

In the process of putting together a black tie set and the waistcoat seems to be the hardest thing to find.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Some companies do make it... Brooks Brothers in fact has one in their thick chunky catalog I received that shows everything they make for the season. Difference is that Clark did have his custom made and the cut to the vest is impeccable.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Looks like a peak lapel single breasted with an awesome vest and some really high waisted trousers with forward pleats. I could go into more detail, though the main thin that makes it look so good is the fit and the cut of pretty much a standard tuxedo.

Shawl lapelled three button vest with that amazing cut and tight row of buttons. I think that's the kicker on the outfit.

Thanks, Matt. Do you think that it would be possible to find a replica of this tuxedo or somthing close to it?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It would have to be custom for the fit, look at the pleats on those trousers and the hight of the waist, no maker I've seen makes trousers like that off the rack. Looks like a nice hard finish material the pleats and the height of the waistband are just perfect.

Watch the movie Dancing Lady ith Gable and you'll see the same impeccable fit of his clothes that you see here.

Off the rack you could put a similar outfit together yes, though it won't have the same character as the tailor has given Gable. It's what I'm working on with my own company, It's the little details in fit and cut that make the difference.

It's about how the vest hits the hips and the flow of the trousers, I wish I could see a pic of that jacket buttoned.

Anywho, see Dancing Lady.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
It would have to be custom for the fit, look at the pleats on those trousers and the hight of the waist, no maker I've seen makes trousers like that off the rack. Looks like a nice hard finish material the pleats and the height of the waistband are just perfect.

Watch the movie Dancing Lady ith Gable and you'll see the same impeccable fit of his clothes that you see here.

Off the rack you could put a similar outfit together yes, though it won't have the same character as the tailor has given Gable. It's what I'm working on with my own company, It's the little details in fit and cut that make the difference.

It's about how the vest hits the hips and the flow of the trousers, I wish I could see a pic of that jacket buttoned.

Anywho, see Dancing Lady.

Thanks again. One more question. Are there many tailors today who could replicate this look and fit?

Cgab

That is a truly lovely waistcoat. As Matt says, the tuxedo is pretty standard.

You will not get that fit outside of bespoke. Never could unless you were very lucky and fit the standard off-the-peg sizes perfectly. And you will likely struggle with your tailor to get them to follow your instructions re: fit. They (mistakenly) often think they know best.

bk

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
That is a truly lovely waistcoat. As Matt says, the tuxedo is pretty standard.

You will not get that fit outside of bespoke. Never could unless you were very lucky and fit the standard off-the-peg sizes perfectly. And you will likely struggle with your tailor to get them to follow your instructions re: fit. They (mistakenly) often think they know best.

bk

That's what I figured.

Thanks

Cgab

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy