Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gallery - Borsalino Alessandria

Silver Belly, 2 1/2 inch brim
Borso4.jpg

Borso2.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
I've read that "Alessandria" is not really a Borsalino model name but rather the name of the town where the business is/was located.

I've got a different take on that one, Gene. ;)

Alessandria is the town in Italy where Borsalino was founded. Accordingly, the word "Alessandria" appears in a variety of Borsalino hats -- just as if Stetson included "Philadelphia" in a similar fashion.

That being said, though -- "Alessandria" has been used to denote a particular model, as well: namely, Borsalino's thin-ribbon OR-style lid, like the one posted by gtd to start off this thread. I have specific recollections of this particular style of hat being marketed as the "Alessandria" at least as far back as the early 80's (since I didn't have the money to buy a Borsalino, but drooled over them in the Worth & Worth catalogue...). I don't know when Borsalino first started using "Alessandria" as a model name, and it would be interesting to track that down.

Regardless of when the practice actually started, I think it's fair to say that "Alessandria", when used as a model name, refers to Borsalino's thin-ribbon OR-style lid. Here's one...

LightGrayBorso.jpg

There's more discussion on this topic here.

Cheers,
JtL

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I think if it says "Alessandria" on the sweatband, it's the model name. Otherwise its just the factory. Here's mine. The color is ivory, a kind of greenish grey:
DSCN0742.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
kaosharper1 said:
I think if it says "Alessandria" on the sweatband, it's the model name. Otherwise its just the factory.

I didn't know that part as I don't own one of Borsalino's OR 'tributes'. Thanks, Jimmy and others for filling me in. I deleted my earlier shots as they really don't apply among the Borso' thin ribbons.

mineral

One of the Regulars
Just for "academic" reference, am I right to say that this model is always of the "Qualita Superiore" rank (as marked in the lining)? Can anyone gainsay me on this with a picture of a (vintage) example?

Am I also right to say that the model has been made to be sold here in the US? Does anyone have a (vintage) example of this model where not a single English word can be found, and if so, would you mind sharing?

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Mine has that ranking and its probably from the late 1950s. However, it is marked 7 1/4 though it fits like a 7 3/8 so I wondered whether it was for the UK though I bought it from a family in Texas who said their father bought it new and hardly wore it. It is in mint condition. Here's a pic of the interior:

DSCN0718.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner