Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gangsters wearing New Era caps indoors. Are you offended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
So, are you? ;)

BTW I see folks wearing these caps in class and at the mall, wearing a hat is kind of acceptable in a mall but, in class? Really?

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
How do you know they're gangsters? Do they have their own seats reserved at the speakeasy?

There's any number of things I'd rather people didn't do but will continue doing no matter my opinion. Indeed, perhaps my objecting would only encourage them.

Hats have become a big part of my life. It's both a vocational and an avocational hazard, I suppose. You'd find a few people around here similarly situated. Quite a few, actually. What you won't find is a large parade following behind us. For every one of us, there's at least a hundred others wearing ball caps (and those sewn cloth fedora-like things that have caught on some in recent years, and which apparently have the power to offend some people known to frequent this joint). Maybe it's more like a thousand others. And they wear them indoors -- at the mall and in class, as you noted, Adrian. Can't say I'm a fan of the "look," but I find it no more objectionable than full-on Indiana Jones drag, on any date other than October 31.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
How do you know they're gangsters? Do they have their own seats reserved at the speakeasy?

You can tell because not only because of the hat, but also the low pants and oversized hoodies and Nike's.

Also, please correct me on my grammer. I would like to improve.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
There's any number of things I'd rather people didn't do but will continue doing no matter my opinion. Indeed, perhaps my objecting would only encourage them.

Hats have become a big part of my life. It's both a vocational and an avocational hazard, I suppose. You'd find a few people around here similarly situated. Quite a few, actually. What you won't find is a large parade following behind us. For every one of us, there's at least a hundred others wearing ball caps (and those sewn cloth fedora-like things that have caught on some in recent years, and which apparently have the power to offend some people known to frequent this joint). Maybe it's more like a thousand others. And they wear them indoors -- at the mall and in class, as you noted, Adrian. Can't say I'm a fan of the "look," but I find it no more objectionable than full-on Indiana Jones drag, on any date other than October 31.

I agree. By any chance, do you tell anyone to take their hat of when they're inside a building? Next time I'm going to do so. In case if you are wondering, I'm 18 and I am waiting a few more weeks so I can get my Aegean Wool Fiddler Cap.

I agree. By any chance, do you tell anyone to take their hat of when they're inside a building? Next time I'm going to do so. In case if you are wondering, I'm 18 and I am waiting a few more weeks so I can get my Aegean Wool Fiddler Cap.

No, I don't "tell anyone to their hat off when they're inside a building." I advise you against it, too.

As I already alluded, I accept that people will do things I'd rather they didn't. In the universe of things to find objectionable, wearing hats indoors is a very dim and distant star.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
A gangster would need have a gang affiliation. Wearing sagging clothes does not instantly throw one into a gang. It's a style that people think look good (for some awful reason). I wear nike from time to time. Am I a gangster in the making? That is a poor generalization.

Shoot, many of my friends & coworkers wear clothes like this. They do it because it's comfortable to them. Most people just wear ball caps, as it is what they were brought up with, and is what they are comfortable with. Same with minimal etiquette. But to say they are all deep rolling bangers is just wrong. Never judge a book by its cover.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If you mean do I find youths expressing their affiliation to the' gangster rap' culture by wearing pretty, decorated baseball caps indoors offensive, then the answer is no. :rolleyes:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Godfrey - New Era is a brand of baseball cap. Trust me, you'll srtill feel fine :)

The way I see it is that there are several things in the world more important than someone wearing a hat indoors so I don't care at all.

I'm with Tony too - I'd never dream of telling anyone to remove a hat, unless I was an officer in the military perhaps - then I could yell at Splintz about it!

Edward

Bartender
TBH, the older I get, the less time I have for ephemera like how other people choose to dress.

Unless it's grown men wearing short trousers, obviously. That's just looking for a fight...

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
These people cannot deserve the title of "Gangster"; rather, the word I use is "Gangsta", which also helps define their inability to spell and speak.

-Quetzal

To address the main topic of this thread, no. I might not agree with someone's "fashion" choices, but I'm in no position to tell anyone how to live or what to wear.

One thing I find curious is when I see an older gentleman, i.e. someone who is old enough to know better, sitting at a table in a restaurant happily consuming his meal with a fedora, trilby, or ball cap atop his head. It makes me wonder if that person has given up on hat etiquette, or has simply never followed it in any form in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran