Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gangsters wearing New Era caps indoors. Are you offended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
One thing I find curious is when I see an older gentleman, i.e. someone who is old enough to know better, sitting at a table in a restaurant happily consuming his meal with a fedora, trilby, or ball cap atop his head. It makes me wonder if that person has given up on hat etiquette, or has simply never followed it in any form in the first place.

I wear my Fedora at Restaurant's when I can not find a safe place to sit it. This is especially true with many of my hats as They are like my babies.:)
The way the wait staff drop things and many restaurants just do not have just tables and chairs and no place to hang a hat. Thou if I hang my hat on a hat rack I must sit so I can see it the whole time as people now days with just pick things up and take them anymore.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I almost never see people remove their hats in restaurants or anywhere else. Would you remove your hat in Subway? Arby's? Burger King? I don't. I'd rather keep mine on even in the sit down places. Taking a hat off can cause hairs to fall on the table. That seems gross and rude to me. Ok, I do take mine off in nicer places but I'd be more likely to just not wear a hat if I was planning on going to a nicer place.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I only take off my hat if there's space to put it somewhere safe at the table. When I started wearing hats I felt very self conscious and took off my hat even if there wasn't anywhere to put it. Then I was stuck with a hat that was in the way the entire meal. If there's no place to put my hat I keep it on. It feels odd but not as odd as eating with one hand while holding onto my hat with the other. I will leave my hat in the car if it's not hot out and I know there won't be a place to put my hat inside. The world has changed and the removal of hats indoors is no longer expected or appreciated by the majority of people out there.

In general I don't get offended by others choices as long as they do not affect me. I can't think of any way that someone else wearing a baseball hat in a restaurant would affect me so it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I won't eat with my hat on IF there is some place safe to put it. But I will wear it if there is no place to put it. (we should remember that few people took hats off in diners in the old days) Other than that, I take a hat off in someone's house, in church, in a theater (again if there is somewhere to put it), in a funeral parlor, and to get my hair cut.... because... if it were still on it would be hard to cut my hair. Other than that, I leave it on in all other situations.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I don't mind them wearing their hats indoors. New era, new conventions. I'm glad that people are wearing hats....

The military taught us some hat etiquette back in the 1970s, and I use that as the basis of my hat-wearing today. It's somewhat similar to traditional hatiquette. I haven't had a chance to tip my hat to anyone yet though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I don't mind them wearing their hats indoors. New era, new conventions. I'm glad that people are wearing hats....

The military taught us some hat etiquette back in the 1970s, and I use that as the basis of my hat-wearing today. It's somewhat similar to traditional hatiquette. I haven't had a chance to tip my hat to anyone yet though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far, I only take of my hat when I'm indoors and in an elevator. .I'm not sure about tipping my hat =D. It's a bit to old fashion for me as I'm only 18. I'm just glad that more people are wearing hats but, unfortunately they are wearing them inside too =(.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
So far, I only take of my hat when I'm indoors and in an elevator. .I'm not sure about tipping my hat =D. It's a bit to old fashion for me as I'm only 18. I'm just glad that more people are wearing hats but, unfortunately they are wearing them inside too =(.

TOO OLD-FASHIONED?? I've been wearing my hat (correctly, mind you; I was unaware that people wore hats/caps until the end of Junior High, as that was not how I was brought up) since before the beginning of High School, with all of the correct casual or dress attire (I've always dressed this way, LONG before high school), and always, at minimum, pinch the crown of my hat and maybe smile if I see a few people (you can't do this with a crowd) walking by!

But then again, "archaic" is a very common word to describe me...

-Quetzal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats