Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
well everyone is showing off their shrubs and flowers what about your vegtable gardens ???

anyone here ....square foot gardens ??? I have been using the method for 9 years and my father started doing it about 30 years ago....

if you are not familar with it go to http://www.squarefootgardening.com

no weeds...no tilling or hard work...

my tomatoes are out...but due to the installation of a fence, i have to move my other "square" but I haven't had the time with the vacation coming up...

i would love to see what else you guys grow...

mark the shoeshine boy

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Tomato Plants, Anyone? I Have Lots!

My vegetables start life in the basement under a flurescent light. Now they're in the sunshine in their seed trays.

This year I have Mortgage Lifter tomatoes (an heirloom variety), heirloom roma tomatoes, a Burpee beefsteak tomatoes and a Burpee roma. I start many just to give away. If you live in the Denver are and want tomato plants, let me know.

I am also growing fennel and an heirloom pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin makes the tastiest pumpkin pie.

Pictures to follow.

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
Hi all,

nice pics of nice places. Think you must enjoy your back yards.
The older I become the more I love nature. Sure I love it all my life, but today I realize flowers and things that I never `saw´ before. Thats why I started to work on my back yard and made it looking like that:

Little Spain in Germany

DSC00541Medium.jpg

DSC01617Medium.jpg

DSC00025Medium.jpg

I am curious of other gardens - please post more

J.B.

Paisley said:
My vegetables start life in the basement under a flurescent light. Now they're in the sunshine in their seed trays.

This year I have Mortgage Lifter tomatoes (an heirloom variety), heirloom roma tomatoes, a Burpee beefsteak tomatoes and a Burpee roma. I start many just to give away. If you live in the Denver are and want tomato plants, let me know.

I am also growing fennel and an heirloom pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin makes the tastiest pumpkin pie.

Pictures to follow.

I hope it is very hot where you planted the Mortgage Lifter and Beefsteak. They take quite a bit of heat and sun to grow tomatoes to their potential size. I prefer the Burpee Delicious for size. Biggest I got from it 2 1/2 pounds! Again, sun and heat are crucial. Right now I only have Northern Exposure planted.
Best of luck with those.

Regards,

J

KAT

A-List Customer
J.B.Saxon said:
Hi all,

nice pics of nice places. Think you must enjoy your back yards.
The older I become the more I love nature. Sure I love it all my life, but today I realize flowers and things that I never `saw´ before. Thats why I started to work on my back yard and made it looking like that:

Little Spain in Germany

J.B.
`
i saw the pictures and thought its somewhere in Spain or CA..thats just around the corner (and it really is) :eusa_clap really beautiful

KAT

A-List Customer
isnt it horrible today? just blaaahhh. i could spit over to Düsseldorf...its that close!
You got a pretty spot there. our backyard here in Wesel is also very pretty, like a little paradise. friends make a "FAHRRADTOUR";) just to sit in our backyard!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I hope it is very hot where you planted the Mortgage Lifter and Beefsteak. They take quite a bit of heat and sun to grow tomatoes to their potential size. I prefer the Burpee Delicious for size. Biggest I got from it 2 1/2 pounds! Again, sun and heat are crucial. Right now I only have Northern Exposure planted.
Best of luck with those.

Regards,

J

I, on the other hand, hope that this summer, it cools off enough at night so that the tomatoes don't drop their blossoms. A few years ago, it stayed so hot at night that I didn't get any tomatoes for weeks. Last year, it was so cold--even in the basment--that the seeds didn't sprout until fairly late.:mad: But this year, they're doing well!

Paisley said:
I, on the other hand, hope that this summer, it cools off enough at night so that the tomatoes don't drop their blossoms. A few years ago, it stayed so hot at night that I didn't get any tomatoes for weeks. Last year, it was so cold--even in the basment--that the seeds didn't sprout until fairly late.:mad: But this year, they're doing well!

That's an easy one to solve. Tomatoes are self polinated. All you have to do is go out and shake the vine with the blossoms on it---in the morning--- and, tadah!, they are polinated. ;) Be sure to use rock powder around the plants to prevent blossom end rot while you are at it. Works like a charm.
My seeds didn't sprout until later on as well. There was just too much darned rain here and it still hasn't really warmed up enough for them to get going like gangbusters. [huh] That was even with cold temperature varieties. :eusa_doh: There will be some eventually I guess. :D

Regards,

J

Caledonia

Practically Family
Here's my contribution. 'Fraid it's not a regular type garden, but we've got some stuff going. The hedge at the front is gorse that we planted. The earthy strip is the only bit I've dug over so far. You can see potatoes in the foreground just coming up, and you can't see them but at the back are leeks, kale, spinach, carrots, and onions that I hope will make it. Salads and herbs are in pots at the front of the house. The funny looking tubes are part of 1100 trees we planted this year at the back, so in 15 years time we'll have a small woodland!

summer17.jpg

summer.jpg

summer16.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
The first 3 or 4 years are a bit of a pain, I admit. You need to keep the slugs out of the tubes or they eat the young trees, and that's already happening, and you need to apply weedkiller around each tree to keep the grass down and help the young trees get away. But after that they just get on with it by themselves. But worse, the neighbourhood pheasants were eating my leek seedlings this morning! :mad: The dogs keep the rabbits out (basically by chewing on them :eek: ), but pheasants can fly! lol Anybody else have a problem with pests? And how do you deal with them.

Here's a better picture of the woodland zone - it's only about a hectare and you can walk round the boundary in about 10 minutes.

summer23.jpg

Caledonia said:
Anybody else have a problem with pests? And how do you deal with them.

So many pests so little time. Snails are a number one pest followed by ants and aphids.
Snails get pellets, ants get sprayed and aphids get nailed by the plant through the use od systemic plant food and pest killer.
The dog can even be a pest once in a while when she buries her bones in my flower beds. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Dagwood

Practically Family
My Garden

I generally can't grow a thing. Last year I planted some flowers and I thought they all died. However, the flowers thrived despite of me. Inspired by this, I decided to plant more. You can see the new growth on the top right. Any other gardeners? Let's see some photos.

b_155749.jpg

Ellie

Familiar Face
Great! It's swell to see a guy with a "green thumb"! Is that echinacea?

I was going to post some pictures of my garden, but the batteries in my camera died :(

I have quite an impressive herb garden, as I find they are pretty easy to maintain. I will list them off:

pineapple sage (it really smells like pineapple), oregano, rosemary, chamomile, thyme, and parsley, and I did have cinnamon basil, but alas, it is an annual. I must purchase some more. Oh yes, I also have wild fennel growing in my backyard. (It smells like licorice!)

This spring/summer I am also growing sweet peas in pots and am training them to wrap around small branches. They smell heavenly, and will bloom throughout the summer as long as you fertilize them on a weekly basis.

I will try to post pictures later.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy