Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
But here's something I just read in Organic Gardening - if you plant catnip around the plants that have aphid problems, the catnip attracts lacewings, which eat aphids!
And the cats like it too.

That hasn't worked in my yard.

You can spray aphids with soapy water. Again, if you aren't sure how the plant will react to soapy water, spray a few leaves and wait for a day. You can also buy a bag of ladybugs or lacewings.

Oooh! One of my favorite topics! I have a small Victory Garden in my back yard in containers - I do peas, tomatoes, radishes, carrots [and herbs of course] but I want to expand this year.

Also, I highly recommend the Victory Seed Company! Their mission is to propagate heirloom varieties (which are hardier and of course historic) and they even have a Victory Garden themed selection in special packaging!

http://www.victoryseeds.com/TheVictoryGarden/vg_seeds.shtml

Yay for Victory Gardens!

kodou

New in Town
ditto

I've been following this thread for a week or more now. I had to chime in.

I'm with shoeshineboy. I started my first SQF this year, and am waiting for things to germinate. When I first learned about it, I just couldn't believe more people don't try the method. I'm a newbie gardener but, if everything comes up, I'll have carrots, melons, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, and so much more this season... and all within arms reach.
I'm glad to see posts like this, with people who are just itching to get out into their yard and start a garden.

Josephine

One Too Many
shoeshineboy said:
check this out...my father and I have done it this way for over twenty five or thirty years....no weeds..no sweat and high yields....

I found my SF book I mentioned before, it's a 1987 copy. Not vintage, but retro! ;)

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Josephine....

his new book is a little different and makes it even easier!!! His website gives his new soil mixture and some other updates.

While the it is not a vintage way of gardening...it saves you so much time that you can decorate your "victory" garden with antique pieces to make it look even better....

You can use the idea even in your flower beds, too.

Did you know he helps people to learn how to garden around the world, even in poor third world countries. This guy was blessed and has returned it back to humanity.

I hope to convert you all to the square foot gardening method.....

mark easter the shoeshine boy

RBH

Bartender
thought this might be a good place to post this vintage ad I ran across.

farmzi1.jpg

kodou

New in Town
RBH said:
thought this might be a good place to post this vintage ad I ran across.

That pic really, really astounds me. Not just because I've never heard of the US Crop Corp, but because I don't think a poster such as this could exist today. Is there something like this now?

Now for the reason that I'm making a post. My veggies are sprouting in my garden! Remember, this is my first garden, so it's kind of a medium-sized deal for me. (I was afraid that birds ate the seeds before I could get netting up)
I kinda stopped tending to it the last few days, knowing that the only thing left to do was leave it alone and give it time. I brought my trashcans in from the street today, took a look at the box, and seedlings are coming up. I'm excited, and also a little relieved.

Anyone have similar news?

RBH

Bartender
kodou said:
That pic really, really astounds me. Not just because I've never heard of the US Crop Corp, but because I don't think a poster such as this could exist today. Is there something like this now?
Dont know if it is real or not... could be totally bogus. Just thought it was a cool photo when I ran across it, cant remember now where I found it at.

EDIT...
just did a google and found this. I guess it is real after all.

http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/History/harvest.htm

17-1595a.jpg

Charbeau

New in Town
Glad to see this thread. I lived in the suburbs of DC for 7 years and I always loved going to the American History Museum on the Mall to see the Victory Garden each summer. It helped inspire me to start gardening.

We are trying Square Foot Gardening this year for the first time! We are doing 4 4x4 beds and I have gotten over zealous and have started 7 varieties of tomatoes! I ordered all my seeds from http://rareseeds.com/ a great small company in MO that only sells heirloom seeds and has zero ties to Monsanto. The only thing I am nervous about doing all heirlooms this year is that they aren't produced with any sort of drought/pest resistance like many newer varieties. Well, here's hoping to a good harvest. :)

rumblefish

One Too Many
kodou said:
Now for the reason that I'm making a post. My veggies are sprouting in my garden! Remember, this is my first garden, so it's kind of a medium-sized deal for me. (I was afraid that birds ate the seeds before I could get netting up)
I kinda stopped tending to it the last few days, knowing that the only thing left to do was leave it alone and give it time. I brought my trashcans in from the street today, took a look at the box, and seedlings are coming up. I'm excited, and also a little relieved.

Anyone have similar news?

No seedlings yet, we're not quite breaking 60 here yet. But,,,,last weekend I pulled out some of the wintered over turnip greens and made them braised with chicken. The turnip roots, which aren't much from seven top turnip, I made into a venison Scotch broth. I held off picking the wintered over spinach because they have not grown much yet.

Raspberries are starting to bud, and the fruit trees' fruiting spurs are swelling.
I suppose down south, alot of trees are in bloom?

Anyone grow blueberries? How's the flower buds? Mine seem moderate this year.

kodou

New in Town
rumblefish said:
I suppose down south, alot of trees are in bloom?

Anyone grow blueberries? How's the flower buds? Mine seem moderate this year.
Yes, the trees are in bloom here. Due to the odd up and down weather of late, a lot of plants and young trees have bloomed early, perhaps their clocks telling them it was Spring time. The more established trees and such, however, are blooming on time. I know Atlanta is having there Dogwood festival this weekend as well, so I'd assume things are getting back to normal.
I started 3 blueberry bushes (two 4yr old, one 3yr old), but I'm a green on the subject so I can't tell you much there. The younger one is showing white buds that will soon open, and the two older plants are right behind it.
A question for rumblefish, or whomever knows. I don't think the younger plant will bear fruit until next year, and I've heard that removing the blooms will allow for better root development. Is there truth to this? Can I still remove them now as there are no flowering blooms yet?

rumblefish

One Too Many
kodou said:
A question for rumblefish, or whomever knows. I don't think the younger plant will bear fruit until next year, and I've heard that removing the blooms will allow for better root development. Is there truth to this? Can I still remove them now as there are no flowering blooms yet?

Gee, I'm not sure[huh]. I would, however, recommend a low nitrogen fertilizer for acid loving plants like Hollytone from Espoma. High acid and mulch. Here, birds are a big problem for blueberries, what you may assume is poor fruit set may be birds getting to them before they're fully ripe. If they were on Long Island, I'd let your bushes do what they want with growth and net them. When they're older, prune out the old woody branches four or five at a time. Older branches will just stop producing berries.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Reminds me of Communist Russia posters. :)

Well style-wise a lot of the War era posters are similar across borders.

In terms of the US having such a 'working together' for the benefit of all, sort of department or idea...I have my theories about why this sort of thing stopped being -okay and good- here in the US.

Now we just keep filling up our SUV's and put a little sticker on them to -support- the nation....;)

Yay! My peas and chard are sprouting! I put some copper tape around the pots to discourage the snails from feasting on my tender shoots. I hope it works.

On another note, I love WWII posters and I've just made some Victory Garden themed kitchen towels and posted them for sale on the bay - you can check out my post in the Classifieds if you're interested.

;)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Hamilton_Honey said:
Yay! My peas and chard are sprouting! I put some copper tape around the pots to discourage the snails from feasting on my tender shoots. I hope it works.

I've had really good luck with copper tape. Just make sure it stays relatively clean, because if there is a lot of dirt on it, it seems to take the sting (or whatever it is that keeps the snails at bay) out of it for them. Also take care as the plants get bigger that the leaves don't hang over the side of the pot far enough for the snails to climb on and that the pots aren't close enough to anything else for the snails to bypass the tape and climb in. They are clever and sneaky little buggers despite their size and speed! :eusa_doh: Those are the problems I've had. And if the tape oxidizes a lot and you're worried about effectiveness, you can polish it up with vinegar and a Q-tip. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy