Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gate City Hat Company

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I recently came across an old straw boater (thanks for the lead, Bob!) from the Gate City Hat Company, manufactured out of Omaha, NE. The company started in the late 1800's. In may of 1890, they succeeded Parrotte Scripps & Co., which was involved in the fur trading business. However, I'm not sure how long the GCHC operated. Perhaps into the '20s and '30s. There really isn't much I can find on this old company.

IMG_2602.jpg

One of the few things I found mentioning the company was this sales catalog, formerly listed on Etsy. Darn! Wish I could have snagged this.

Brochure%201.jpg

Brochure%202.jpg

Brochure%203.jpg

Brochure%204.jpg

Here was the building, located at 1023 Harney Street. You can judge the age by the cars on the street...

Building.jpg

Building%202.jpg

This snippet is small, but it describes Alexander Gunther as president and treasurer.

books

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Now on to the good stuff!...

Bob Hufford gave me a lead on an interesting straw boater recently. However, it was advertised as a "ladies hat", so I knew I had a good chance at scoring a really nice looking hat. I could tell this hat was special, given the primitive ribbon and ornate straw detail.

Gate%202.jpg

Gate%201.jpg

To an average buyer, I'm sure it got looked over without a second glance. To me, it was going to be in my collection. :) The hat arrived, and upon my initial inspection, the condition seemed extremely good. Holding the hat, I knew it was much older than I had expected. The taped cow hide sweatband was a clue of its age, at least '30s, maybe '20s. After I had researched the company, my thoughts went further back into the '10s. Could this be 100 years old? Maybe.

Getting back to the arrival, the seller had placed a large rubberband around the hat, pulling the sides of the brim up. Huh? o_O Seriously? The straw was as flexible as a Milan, I had never expected something so unique. The hat fit nicely, the sweatband is soft and supple, and I thought there was some additional flex around the crown as I put it on and took it off. Unfortunately, this hat was damaged. The original seller probably didn't know, because it was underneath the white ribbon.

I didn't find the actual damage until I removed the ribbon. In another unfortunate event, I accidentally deleted the pics I took of the damage! Sorry!! So, use your imagination. If you look at the following picture, the seam is horizontal (like most straws). You can see the horizontal stitching as it connects each layer...

IMG_2619.jpg

The bottom two ribbons suffered some damage that resulted in a separation. That's what was "flexing" when I put it on and removed it, like an accordion. I also found some dried glue, so I knew this was repaired before! Upon a keen eye, I also noticed some dark thread around where the ribbon bow was located. Hmmm, I bet this had a black or a blue ribbon originally. Whoever had this hat before me tried a basic repair and installed a new wide ribbon to hide it. The ribbon had wire edges, so I'm guessing it was done by a milliner.

I wanted the repair to last, so I took my time with it and sewed along the horizontal seam. I kept my stitches close and tight, using more than twice as much thread as I do putting in a new sweatband! One repair wrapped around approximately 3/4 of the crown. Another repair was needed on the other side a little closer to the break. Same thing, it was separated along the seam, so the repair was relatively easy, it just required some serious patience.

Okay, continuing... I really connected with this hat. What a pleasure it was engaging in the repair, really paying attention to the weaves and stitches that were originally crafted and sewn. It's just an amazing hat, beautifully crafted. I'm so glad to be the current custodian of such a fine piece of hat history. :) How about some pics?!...

The bldg as pictured is today a parking lot. Eleventh & Harney is one of the major intersections in a trendy area just off downtown Omaha known as the Old Market, where a lot of the upper stories of the bldgs have been converted into loft apartments with restaurants & retail space on the first floor. The entire block between 10th & 11th St on both the north & south side of Harney St. has been made into parking space.

Back in its day this area just off of downtown would have been borderline industrial.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!! Here are some additional pics. I was able to capture one of the breaks that doesn't affect the integrity of the hat. You can actually see some of the old glue, and my stitching to the right of the break.

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2818.jpg

And the factory tag...

IMG_2816.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot