Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geatest designs of WWII

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Let's talk a bit about design. Which are the greatest designs that came out of WWII?

My favourits are:
1. The Spitfire *)
2. The Zippo Lighter
3. The Jeep

*) I have always had an eye for the P51 Mustang too. Great plane. Great mileage. But designervise compared to the beauty of the Spitfire?
The Mustang is a brute mashine compared to the elegant lines of the Spitfire.

Which are you favourits?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Speedster, the A-2 design actually predates WWII by 10 years, though there's no question that the great majority of A-2s were made/worn during the war.

My vote for the best jacket designed during the war is the Army's tanker jacket - a classic, functional garment that's very warm, very comfortable, and looks great. I dig the Ike jacket and early cloth flight jackets like the B-10 and B-15 too...

In terms of planes, while I certainly appreciate all the great fighters, it's the bombers that seem more "WWII iconic" to me. Gotta dig the B-17, B-24, B-25, etc.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This...
haviland.jpg

dean

Speedster

Practically Family
Doctor Strange said:
Speedster, the A-2 design actually predates WWII by 10 years, though there's no question that the great majority of A-2s were made/worn during the war.

My vote for the best jacket designed during the war is the Army's tanker jacket - a classic, functional garment that's very warm, very comfortable, and looks great. I dig the Ike jacket and early cloth flight jackets like the B-10 and B-15 too...

In terms of planes, while I certainly appreciate all the great fighters, it's the bombers that seem more "WWII iconic" to me. Gotta dig the B-17, B-24, B-25, etc.

Yearh, but this is also applies for the Zippo (from 1932) and the Spitfire (1st operational plane was delivered to the RAF in 1938) but they are all synonymous with WWII.

Agree on the Army tanker jacket. Should also be on the list.

alphonse capone

New in Town
Designs

My Favorites
1. P-51 mustang
2. Panzerkampfwagen VI Sdkfz 181. AKA Tiger
3. Hawker Hurricane.
4. The Mighty Supermarine Spitfire
5. German Sturmgesch?ºtz III (40) Ausf G
AL

alphonse capone

New in Town
Clothing list Fav

1. Waffen SS camouflage oakA pattern & Blurred-edge pattern, type 1 M1940 Tarnjake AKA Smock & reversible helmet cover. Way ahead of it's time.
2. WWII Marine corp camouflage.
3. Denison Airborne Smock British/Canadian. 1942 First Pattern . Donned by some US Airborne during D-day, This is a piece of clothing art :)
Al..

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
This...
haviland.jpg

dean

1 merlin engine = A Spitfire (or Mustang or Hurricane)
2 merlin engines = A Mosquito
4 merlin engines = A Lancaster

Gosh it was easy back then;) Maybe the merlin engine is the greatest design from WWII?

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
1 merlin engine = A Spitfire (or Mustang or Hurricane)
2 merlin engines = A Mosquito
4 merlin engines = A Lancaster

Gosh it was easy back then;) Maybe the merlin engine is the greatest design from WWII?

Again, synonymous with WWII but the development of the Merlin engine was ordered in 1932, and it was a Merlin engine that powered the Spitfire prototype in 1937

And already in 1942 the Merlin began to be replaced by Rolls-Royce’s Griffon engine.

Sadly today the Merlin engine is used in many Tractors used for tractor pulling.

Many of the things we think of as being WWII actually went into service earlier. The M1 rifle (Garand) in 1937, the .45 colt pistol (in 1911) and the Thompson submachine gun (Tommygun) in 1920.

deanglen

alphonse capone said:
1. Waffen SS camouflage oakA pattern & Blurred-edge pattern, type 1 M1940 Tarnjake AKA Smock & reversible helmet cover. Way ahead of it's time.
Al..

I love those camo caps, the overprint, type 5 is my favorite!

dean

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I'd have to say the P-51 Mustang ranks as one of the greatest designs of W.W.II, and is an actual W.W. II design, as opposed to some of the great classic aircraft that were actually pre-war designs.

The P-51 airframe had maneuverability, range, and was adaptable beyond most aircraft designs of the period, when combined with the Merlin engine, the P-51 became a true workhorse that could carry out almost any type of mission that was asked of the airframe.

Which coming from a P-38 fan like myself, I'd consider that high praise.

griffer

Practically Family
Volkswagen

PPK

Zippo

1941 Style Corcoran Jump Boot

P-38 collapsible can opener, 'John Wayne'

Sturmgewehr 44 (MP 44), first assault rifle

P-61 Black Widow*

(*I am not a WWII aircraft expert, but I do know it was the first integrated radar application for night fighting, and it just looks real purty)

Twitch

It is remarkable that WW II and the late 30s produced so many recognizable aircraft. The P-51 is, to me, a better Spitfire in design beauty. The Spit is unique and never mistaken for anything else though. The P-38 is pretty universal in recognition too. The B-17 says "bomber." The Flying Tigers' shark-mouthed P-40 is well known.

The forward-thinking German aircraft designs fueled the designers in post-war times right up to today. Everything they envisioned came to pass and were fascinating.

The Jeep is known by the whole world. The Sherman tank is too. The Tommy gun, the M-1 Garand and the Colt M-1911 .45 are universally known. Who doesn't recognize the ubiquitous German helmet design?

Baggers

Practically Family
Okay, then for wartime designs, assuming we can cast our nets as wide as possible, I submit:

Fat Man, Little Boy, and the V2 rocket.

All three had an "impact" we still feel today.

And just for fun, Betty Grable, even though she really has to be considered a bit pre-war...:p

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails