Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gents! What to buy another gent!

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Hey, fellas!

So, I was thinking about what to get my fella for his birthday and I want to get it this summer while I'm still in civilization and still working. I was thinking about getting him some quality hankies with his initials on them. Is that at all appealing? What would you guys want, as quality vintage men you are? I'm a grad student so not too too expensive, but he's worth spending something on.

Any suggestions? Help is thoroughly appreciated from this dame. :D

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I like the personalized cufflinks idea...

He's into the golden age like us, particularly the 1920s and art deco style. He's a music junkie, swing dancer, engineer, loves books used to be a rower back in the day. Does that help at all? Oh, he loves food and cooking and gadgets (of course). I'm sure I'll add more...

Thank you again for any suggestions. I've only grown up around women for the most part and don't really know what guys "like." :D

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Hmm,...books are a good choice. Cook books on a certain type of cooking he's interested in learning more about maybe? Or music,...or a favorite movie on DVD. The possibilities are endless, really, if you think about what a person likes when choosing a gift for them. :)

A fine writing instrument such as a fountain pen, ball point or rollerball is nice.

Dinner out.
A shared experience like visiting a great museum.
A train trip.
Wet shaving equipment.

Sharing a special bottle of wine.

Going to see live music or a broadway type play.

A balloon ride.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
Love of film, most definitely! These look AWESOME. That might have to be a MUST. I want 'em too....:)

I was also considering monogramming an art-deco style flask. Yes? No? And I'm not asking you to decide for me, just wondering if it would be at all appealing to you :)

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
thebadmamajama said:
I was thinking about getting him some quality hankies with his initials on them. Is that at all appealing?

It is, indeed! I have several.

thebadmamajama said:
What would you guys want, as quality vintage men you are?

I would stick to accessories, like cufflinks, tie bars, perhaps pocket squares or ties. Stay away from anything that has to be sized/tailored to fit properly, like suits, shirts, and shoes. Gift certificates are also great. :)

[TANGENT]
Just a bit of general advice for women buying clothes and accessories for their men: While I understand that many men are clueless when it comes to clothes, if you want yours to develop true style that's all his own, you need to give him space while you're encouraging him. That is, don't buy all his clothes for him, and don't stand over him in the store, telling him what to buy. Let him develop his own tastes.

The differences between women's fashion and men's style are profound and fundamental, and to someone who knows one, it will be difficult or impossible to truly master the other. It requires learning to think about clothes, style, image, grooming, and more in completely different ways. With all due respect, you may be the most stylish gal you know, but if you dictate what your man wears, you won't be doing him any favors. If he needs help, steer him to elegant, well-dressed men who can help him. Buy him books by Nicholas Antongiavanni, Alan Flusser, Bernhard Roetzel, and G. Bruce Boyer. Point him to these and other online clothing forums. Have him ask the well-dressed elderly salesman at the local Brooks Brothers for advice on what to buy. Point him in the right direction, by all means, but let him figure it out for himself.

Now, here's the application to gift-giving. Buy gifts, by all means. The books I mentioned are great starting places. Buy accessories that are classic and timeless in their appeal and style. But, here's the rub: don't be offended if, as he develops his own sense of style, he ends up preferring the things he's bought for himself over the ones you have selected for him. It's not because he doesn't love you or appreciate the gift; rather, it's because your hopes are being realized and he's becoming a stylish man in his own right.
[/TANGENT]

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Bar Suplies

Does he have a bar? Glasses, shakers, party napkins.

Years ago a friend gave me a set of glasses, and while he has passed on, each time I have a glass of scotch, I alway remember the good and the bad times we had.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Would he use monogrammed hankies? Would he wear cuff links? Would he write with a fine pen? Maj. Nick Danger nailed it - what does he really like?! Does he actually like vintage or vintage-inspired things? If so, any of the gift suggestions would be very nice. However, if he really doesn't appreciate these things, something else might be more appropriate. Some of the greatest gifts I've received were not actual "things" but rather out-of-the-ordinary acts like a surprise champagne picnic at the park, a romantic evening dinner and dance, a weekend getaway mini-vacation, etc.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
...Back in my quandary again...I ended up giving him the hankies with a striped beveled edge and his initials in '20s deco lettering (very smart looking) :D. Now it's almost Christmastime...what's on your lists, gents? What would you ask for that you probably wouldn't get yourself?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thebadmamajama said:
And I'm not asking you to decide for me, just wondering if it would be at all appealing to you :)

Everyone's different. What appeals to someone here on the Lounge may not appeal to your husband. There was a similar post in the last year - someone was going to buy her husband a hat without his knowing, and I believe the hands-down concensus was a gift certificate was a better idea and let him pick the hat that suited him, rather than sticking him with a costly hat he might really hate, and not wear.

A flask? Would he use it? In this day and age, does anyone really want to risk forgetting it in a pocket only to have it be found when you're pulled over by a cop and have the book thrown at you for open container violations? I've got a flask that sit unused (for the most part ;) ) just for that reason.

The cocktail shaker, barware, etc. sound like great ideas...but that's me since I did get a shaker & martini glass set last year for Christmas, and something we needed and wanted. Someone else might consider them dust catchers. Someone else posted awhile back on getting vintage-style PJ's & robe / "dressing gown" for her husband. Smoking jackets & fezes were all the rage on another post.

So in summary - you know him better than anyone, or at least, anyone here on the Lounge. Part of what will make it a more special gift is that you thought it up and found just the right thing.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
thebadmamajama said:
...Back in my quandary again...I ended up giving him the hankies with a striped beveled edge and his initials in '20s deco lettering (very smart looking) :D. Now it's almost Christmastime...what's on your lists, gents? What would you ask for that you probably wouldn't get yourself?
Back to my original question.
"What exactly are his interests?" Go from there. [huh]
Does he like vintage cars or cars in general? Something related to that then.
Does he have a favorite hobby, or hobbies? Something to go along with it.
I'm pretty good at getting gifts for people as I just pay attention to what they are into and give it some thought. It's easy really once ya get to know someone.
But if all else fails and you can't decide, a gift card to a favorite store is a good gift. :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
thebadmamajama said:

A Spitfire 1:1 :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic