Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Book teasers

SCAN0442.JPG

SCAN0441.JPG

Coach, Thanks!

Robert, Looks great! I tried to bid on the second one that became available but the seller blocked my attempt. Anything interesting regarding the contents?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Coach, Thanks!

Robert, Looks great! I tried to bid on the second one that became available but the seller blocked my attempt. Anything interesting regarding the contents?

Gubener
SCAN0444.JPG

Richter
SCAN0443.JPG

Interesting, but with older Gothic typeface so a bit challenging to read. The Richter Catalog is more interesting, seems they made caps and fur items and had Berlin Gubener and Hückel make the felt hats for them. Huge range of styles offered at one time encompassing everything seen over a 100 year period--so much for guessing dates based on style.

Last edited:
Robert, Thanks! Interesting that Richter sold JHS and Berlin Gubener (6 million hats per year!) stiff felt hats. Any mention of soft felts?

Here is a Franz Richter ad from the Der Deustche Hutdetailist (December 6, 1913, Vol. 49).

6427275947_904cbf4d4d_o.gif

Another one from Der Deustche Hutdetailist (December 13, 1913, Vol. 50).

6431098823_e5b8a148cd_o.gif

Last edited:

Fester

New in Town
Information about old Hückel hat

Hello,
I found this Hückel hat some time ago. I guess that it has been owned by
my grandfather, as probably this hat dates from around the 1940's - 1950's.
I am not a proficient or expert and I don't understand from hats.
So Please can someone tells me some information about this hat such as
for example: model, approximate date of production, some history and if
I decide to sell it, what would be the maximum price which I can take for it.
Many thanks in advance. All the best. :eusa_clap

55501510.jpg

89813741.jpg

61731379.jpg

15199039.jpg

17646571.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Likely from 1939-1943 period of German annexation of that region of Czechoslovakia as has Made in Germany liner as well as Sofia retailer with "Magasin" designation. Value depends on size, condition and competing buyers size of bank accounts and interest at a specific moment, so its hard to determine. Chamois is a model/quality/finish designation. Modern Western European/American style soft snap-brim felt of it's period.

It looks like an JHS (liner, logo, ect) but says Made In Germany on the liner. It could be from the war time occupation of Czechoslovakia (1938-45). There is usually a paper label behind the sweatband at the rear of the hat. If possible (please be very careful not to damage the sweatband) could you check and take a photo? Also a better photo of the logo on the liner? What is the front to back and side to side measurement of the opening?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
It looks like an JHS (liner, logo, ect) but says Made In Germany on the liner. It could be from the war time occupation of Czechoslovakia (1938-45). There is usually a paper label behind the sweatband at the rear of the hat. If possible (please be very careful not to damage the sweatband) could you check and take a photo? Also a better photo of the logo on the liner? What is the front to back and side to side measurement of the opening?

Edit on liner photo
61731379.jpg
bcktp.img.jpeg
529_001.jpg

We've seen some Italian hats from this store before too. Area mostly destroyed Winter '43-'44

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WW1 era Oberoesterreichische Hutindustrie. Austrian import and comes with the CLOCKWISE nap typical of pre-WW2 Austrian/German longhairs. Art Fawcett put a wide black sweatband in (with matching gold pipe trim) as the hat didn't come with one. Everything else is original. Sadly, no tags to be found under the liner.

IMG_1192_zpsc48ecef1.jpg

IMG_1194_zps00668a66.jpg

IMG_1196_zps0813ccec.jpg

IMG_1197_zpsabb384ea.jpg

Garrett, Great find! It's a real beauty! Really like the bow design and great liner logo! Nice work by AF with the new sweatband. Congrats!

Mario has an old Velour from the same area of Austria.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/52-g-j-m-machland-hutfabrik/#entry272

By the way all my old German and Austrian Velours have counter clockwise nap. I know Josh had an old A. Peschel Velour from Neutitschein Austria (now Czech Republic) with a clockwise nap. Not sure if Robert has any with clockwise nap.

Last edited:

Garrett

Garrett, Great find! It's a real beauty! Really like the bow design and great liner logo! Nice work by AF with the new sweatband. Congrats!

Mario has an old Velour from the same area of Austria.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/52-g-j-m-machland-hutfabrik/#entry272

By the way all my old German and Austrian Velours have counter clockwise nap. I know Josh had an old A. Peschel Velour from Neutitschein Austria (now Czech Republic) with a clockwise nap. Not sure if Robert has any with clockwise nap.

Steve, are you referring to this hat:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...19-1920-Peschel-Austrian-Velour-Green-SIZE-7&

I purchased that Peschel from Josh as well as the hat above - both Josh and I seem to have come across several pre-WW2 Austrian/German longhairs that have the clockwise nap. Do you have any literature that might explain why the manufacturers did this?

Garrett, Yes that is the one. I have no idea why the nap is clockwise. I have A. Peschel from about the same time period and it has a counter clockwise nap. I will see if I can find anything out. I don't have any with a clockwise nap and I have a large collection of old German and Austrian Velours. Robert might have a couple.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

What have I acquired?

mysrleft.jpg
T2eC16Vy8E9s2fjtksBQ67ggy-zQ60_57.jpg
T2eC16JysE9sy0hWgBQ67hjETh60_57.jpg
T2eC16RHJGQE9noMB8BQ7vBOZg-w60_57.jpg

I am aiming to give it a teardrop & front pinch with a snap brim. Thinkin' "Open Road"-ish
Sound right?

"Foulard" refers to the liner?
A Fur Felt, right? [huh]

Thanks x-spurts! :eusa_clap

It looks like a later Mayser. I would have to see the sweatband and entire liner to get a better idea on the dating. Also don't think this is the original crease. From my experience Foulard usually designates a lighter weight felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum