Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Rehfus history found by Manfred.

here is a Google Translation of the History of Rehfus.

Two step-brothers Rudolf Ferdinand and John Carl Rehfus, who had learned both the merchant craft, built in 1867 in the village of Kehl-hat factory Rehfus.
The hat factory Rehfus'sche could quickly claim due to the excellent quality of their hats on the market. 1895 the company employed about 170 employees. Initially, only hats made of rabbit hair and rabbit hair were made. With the start of the new century, the fashion changed and the Hatter Rehfus'schen rose successfully to the production of lightweight stiff hats (popularly known as melon) around.
Charlie Chaplin made the melon acceptable and gave the models Rehfus'schen »Aerifor," "paradox" and "Zephyr" good sales. Even in South America, Holland, England and Scandinavia was one of melons throat. "Furs are sold in Leipzig, in stiff hats Rehfus in Kehl," read a slogan from England. The racer from the house Rehfus was the "Upper Country", a hat made of waterproof tumbled fur, found mainly in the hunting circles very popular and was made after the First World War as a normal Straßenhut in all colors and shapes.
1890, Carl-Johann Rehfus leads the business in hand. He was ten years ago joined the company as general manager. His second passion next to the company was hunting. The family owned a large area on the small Kronenhof and Carl-Johann was touched as a boy with his friend, the son of the Upper Hunter Fritz, through the extensive coppices. Later he moved into distant climes, to moose hunting or bear hunting by Norway to Russia.
Under the pseudonym of "Upper Countries", he published numerous books that have become classics of hunting literature. His passion was so great that he did sign in 1907 the additional name "Upper Country" at the Karlsruhe Department of Justice.
Carl-Johann Rehfus Oberländer died in 1926. In his footsteps, his son Carl-Hans, who had joined the company in 1908 and how his father was an avid hunter.
After the war, until 1951, the work can be resumed. During the occupation, the factory had been looted and damaged, only months-long cleanup and a credit under the Marshall Plan could start production again. But the fashion changed again and brought an entire industry to stumble - you went (s) now without a hat. In 1963, the Rehfus'sche hat factory closed its doors forever. The competition did not fare any better: in 1970, of the 30 hat factories in the country that housed the entire production line under one roof, remains only five.
Carl-Hans-Rehfus Oberländer died in 1976. The last representative of the traditional family is the now 88-year-old hat maker, interpreter and photographer Maria Rehfus-Oberlander, who returned after the death of her father's throat in order to take care of her mother Alice.
Today the gatehouse of the former hat factory Rehfus'schen sitting cross-border and European institutions. The inn "Rehfus" on the main street was demolished 1954th The site now serves as the post office parking lot.

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I LOVE GERMANY !!!

Again I bought a lot of hats described as for use at carnivals, theatre etc. Lots of ladies winter fur hats which was good but then at the bottom I spotted this, a Huckel Sigma by no means perfect condition but my goodness the felt is incredible, tried to slam it straight on my head then :( its a 56cm

No paper label except the tiny one at the front saying 36, is it 30's 40's?

15214929163_2e8bd59e45_z.jpg

15834349235_e277337f01_z.jpg

15648918458_9098fb2ec9_z.jpg

15214369204_b84dee3050_z.jpg

15214371654_c84747b3c7_z.jpg

Really fantastic find! I would say 1930s. The Velour color and finish are beautiful! Also the form. The JHS Sigma Velour finishes are exceptional. My guess is it's also a Foulard based on the felt weight. Sorry it doesn't fit. Finding such a hat in a large size is beyond difficult!

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Great cap Manfred. It's a dandy piece ;)
Here there is another of my beloved hut from the tiny German&Austrian collection.
2dtuekg.jpg
This was the first Huckel I bought, it came from an Italian collector.
sgrij6.jpg
It is an Homburg (my prefered type of hats) a little too tight for my noggin.
246ufsm.jpg
The felt is medium soft and very peachy
2jbabk2.jpg
The color is rare for an homburg. To complete the exploration of the Austrian hat here there is the inside
2h82yh2.jpg
2lbjryf.jpg
euhh04.jpg
2irqlad.jpg

Manfred, Really rare flea market find! The fabric and shape are striking. Also great that you were able to find the old ads.

Daniele, Fantastic Hückel Weilheim Homburg! That type of felt / finish is very unique for a Homburg.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Another hut from the German&Austrian vintage production
2llc00g.jpg
This is a Dobesch Prasident Wien. I had it in a bunch of hats.
2m2gxf5.jpg
It is an Homburg (beloved hat) that is too little (55 cm. US 6 7/8) for me. It is a pity because it is a wonderful example of GermanAustrian manufacturer
The felt is medium soft
hx4qxd.jpg
The color is really common for an homburg but really deep black
2uyiqhf.jpg
To complete the exploration of the Austrian hat here there is the inside
xd9h6c.jpg
anecfl.jpg
2w54qjb.jpg
10db9mq.jpg
2h7ky68.jpg

Das Buch der Erfindungen, Gewerbe und Industrien. Band 6. Die Mechanische Bearbeitung der Rohstoffe. 6. umgearb., verb. Aufl. (Pracht-Ausgabe) Druck/Verlag der Verlagsbuchhandlung von Otto Spamer, Leipzig, Berlin, 1874.

The Book of inventions, trade and industry.Band 6. Mechanical processing of raw materials.6. umgearb., Verb.Ed. (Superb edition) Printing / Publishing the publishing firm of Otto Spamer, Leipzig, Berlin, 1874

15843501922_149fa3ce26_h.jpg

A general overview of felt / hat production from hand method to mechanization as of 1874. The chapter also includes brush making which is reflected in the cover drawing (German artist). There are some interesting drawings from German and French artists.

The following link contains the entire document plus a rough Google translation.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/183-das-buch-der-erfindungen-gewerbe-und-industrien-band-6-die-mechanische-bearbeitung-der-rohstoffe-1874/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace