Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Any idea on this hat maker?it came with a Wegener grey Hom burg and the supplier mainly has German hats.
The label has worn away but it's otherwise a very clean plush velour fedora/ trilby....I'll post better pictures in a day or two.

What is left of the logo doesn't ring a bell. It would be helpful to see photos of the worn paper label. Also more of the entire hat. It looks like a great find.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
The condition is generally excellent with about four very small bits of moth hidden in the pile under the brim and nothing up Top...ribbon Is great too.
The label is pretty nondescript being roughly 40mm X 18 mm With no makers name though it states ultra short , the liner is sewn in.
2015-12-08 20.08.08.jpg
2015-12-08 20.07.25.jpg

It's looks great! It's really hard to know who made it without more information. There was English Velour (especially during War periods) but they mostly imported Velour Capelines/Finished Hats from Austrian makers like JHS. It could also be from a German, Italian or French source. Can you give it a good steam and brush and take sharper photos (side view, front view, bottom view, sweatband logos)?

Josh, Wow it's really amazing! The color and Velour are beautiful. Old S & J Fraenkel Wien soft felts are super rare finds. Also finding one made for the American market. Thank you for taking the detailed photos. This hat definitely made my day!

Reactions: RJR

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Dang that's a beautiful hat.

Josh, Wow it's really amazing! The color and Velour are beautiful. Old S & J Fraenkel Wien soft felts are super rare finds. Also finding one made for the American market. Thank you for taking the detailed photos. This hat definitely made my day!

Thanks, Gentlemen!

Steve, the felt on this hat is just incredible. Its fairly thick, but super pliable and shape-able without steam. I feel that the crown is thinner than the brim, which as you can see from the pictures is fairly thick. Unfortunately the sweatband is only being held in by several threads. It basically out of the hat, but aside from that, the felt is pretty much in mint condition.

The Velour looks incredible. Interesting regarding the varying thickness of the felt. Just shows the amount of work that was put in to make such hats. Sorry about the sweatband but hopefully you can take a photo wearing it.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The Velour looks incredible. Interesting regarding the varying thickness of the felt. Just shows the amount of work that was put in to make such hats. Sorry about the sweatband but hopefully you can take a photo wearing it.

In your collection, do any pre war hats vary in felt thickness? I can't be 100% sure about my velour without using micrometer, but just by feel there seems to be a substantial difference. The brim isn't very stiff, so its kind of a miracle that its held such a high cupped flange for so many years. The crown creases with ease and when molding it without steam, seems to be fairly thin by comparison.

I will need to take a look. I believe one of my JHS Velour's brim is finished slightly differently than the crown. Thanks again for the additional photos of this gem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy