Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Super looking Trachten hat! It's from A. Breiter München which are still in business. I have a good number of vintage hats that were sold by A. Breiter. They made some men's hats but most were sourced or sold under the company brand name (for example Mayser). Is there a paper label behind the sweatband? If so can you take a photo? "Echter Haarfilz" means it's made of Real Fur Felt. It's a longer nap finish (not a Velour). Also is the liner stitched or glued in?

http://www.hutbreiter.de/

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/108-breiter-huete/?hl=breiter

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
There's one small white box under the sweat. I think one bit is a date of Jan 1974?

The liner looks to be glued in place.

I looked at the first website and thy now make a similar hat with a welted brim. Mine is bound nicely in a dark green ribbon that nearly disappears into the felt as it matches perfectly.

When I first bid on it I was thinking of replacing the braided hat band "ropes" for a leather band. Now I'n thinking to keep it, especially because the Mt Angel Oktoberfest is such a big deal here... bier und bratwurst! Although my favorite pilsner is not German, but Czech (Pilsner Urguell, on tap, bitte!)

I only paid $23.38 plus shipping of $12.40 to get this great hat. The felt is really nice.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Finds of Today:

Borsalino Qualita Speciale, Size 61/2 or 60, very nice, rarely worn, top Condtion, stamped 28.03.1966

BorsalinoHomburger3.JPG

Mayser Modell Genf Piemonte, braun, Size 58, very good condition!

MayserFedBraun3.JPG

Mayser Modell Genf Piemonte, Size 57, black, very good Condition!

MayserFedSchwarz3.JPG

The Trachten Hat is in very good condition at the outside but need some Work at the sweatband, pics later!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Daniele! Indeed a good Day for hats. The Mayser are very soft in her felt Quality! I guess it's a wool felt mix.
Thank you for all the likes Guys!!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
This Velour Hat was made by Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl (Germany). Probably later 1950s but could be a bit later. It's a really great hat and in very good condition. It's a Snap Brim so probably worn mostly brim down. It can be worn casual or with suit / sport jacket. Can you tell me the name (right side) on the paper label? The original size is 55cm. You can learn more about Anton Peschel at my site.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/8-peschel-hutfabrik/
Hello.
The only name I can find looks to be Brenner or Brennan. At 55cm I thought it may be small but fits ok as I usually wear a 57. Also I normally size my hats 15mm above the ears.
The outer band has approx 50mm stitch spacing, is that normal?
Looks to be hardly worn as there are no sweat or hair cream stains on the inner band. Looks great with my vintage 1960s Burton and Crombie overcoats.
Hope it was a bargain, £30, or €30 at todays prices.
I do love these German velour hats, I also have a dark green Bavarian style with a gamsbart(tourist repro) I recently wore on a venture to Heidelberg
Cheers for the link :), J.

DSC_0060_zpszurnwglj.jpg

Sometimes they run large which is great in this case. I am a big fan of gray Velour dress hats. Anton Peschel was originally from Neutitshein / Novy Jicin, Austria / Czechoslovakia and one of the top pre WWII Austrian Velour producers. I have a lot information on my site about Velour. The finest Velours were hand hot wet brushed but this manual process didn't survive post WWII.

RJR

Hello.
The only name I can find looks to be Brenner or Brennan. At 55cm I thought it may be small but fits ok as I usually wear a 57. Also I normally size my hats 15mm above the ears.
The outer band has approx 50mm stitch spacing, is that normal?
Looks to be hardly worn as there are no sweat or hair cream stains on the inner band. Looks great with my vintage 1960s Burton and Crombie overcoats.
Hope it was a bargain, £30, or €30 at todays prices.
I do love these German velour hats, I also have a dark green Bavarian style with a gamsbart(tourist repro) I recently wore on a venture to Heidelberg
Cheers for the link :), J.

DSC_0060_zpszurnwglj.jpg
Beautifully composed picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy