Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks my friend! But unfortunately I had to working last weekend. So no time for flea market. The weather also was to bad for making a tour! Almost raining and cold.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Fritz Hückel Ultra deep pine green velour sold on the U.S. market. 1950s I would guess, but will defer to Steve's expertise. Sweatband is somewhat brittle - I will explore for labels with a mirror and add to this post. Many similarities in look and feel to the Borsalino Visone posted earlier this week... 150mm crown height, 57mm brim width. Marked 7 1/4 but fits smaller. A nice surprise.

huckel1.jpg

huckel2.jpg

huckel3.jpg

huckel4.jpg

huckel5.jpg

huckel6.jpg

Last edited:
Fritz Hückel Ultra deep pine green velour sold on the U.S. market. 1950s I would guess, but will defer to Steve's expertise. Sweatband is somewhat brittle - I will explore for labels with a mirror and add to this post. Many similarities in look and feel to the Borsalino Visone posted earlier this week... 150mm crown height, 57mm brim width. Marked 7 1/4 but fits smaller. A nice surprise.

huckel1.jpg

huckel2.jpg

huckel3.jpg

huckel4.jpg

huckel5.jpg

huckel6.jpg
Another exceptional hat! The gills almost breath!

Alan, Looks fantastic! Yes it's probably mid 1950s. Sorry to see the issues with the sweatband. I haven't seen that type before. I don't think there is any paper label so probably not worth taking a look. I am not sure where Hückel Weilheim sourced their felt. Tonak had the Hückel Trade Mark for America so they (Hückel Weilheim, Bavaria) had to use Fritz Hückel Hutmacher.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the replies. I am one of many that get weak in the knees from Steve's velour collection but I see very few to buy on the U.S. side. Happy to be able add this one. The sweatband is dry but it is secured well to the reed. It should hold up fine for the limited wear I will give it. I did not find any manufacturing labels - there is a small label at the rear seam which looked like a retail price tag, but I could not decipher any price on a quick look. Marked 7 1/4, I was not expecting it to fit but it is surprisingly snug. The velour felt is top quality and as some of you have noted, the shark gill ribbon work is exceedingly well done.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

huckel1.jpg
I'm in late to comment......the Huckel in this shape, ribbon and, above all color, is a must!

Ottmar Reich, measures 58cm, probably 1920s. Interesting bow design and very light weight. I really like this type of Stiff Straw Hat. I think it's a Ecuadorian or Colombian straw + weave but could be Asian. Old German Straw Hats are very difficult finds so very happy to find this one. Ottmar Reich was located in Lindenberg, Germany (was a major Straw Hat center) and the old factory building is now the Deutsche Hutmuseum (German Hat Museum).

30916802915_6b393dcbf8_b.jpg

30829171611_5c5b2cfe5d_b.jpg

30916707935_b9e4b39f91_b.jpg

30282753974_f90991d49a_b.jpg

30916990465_3570820cc3_b.jpg

30917091955_2076e0b154_b.jpg

Old Cork Spacer that was behind the sweatband. Never seen one this wide before.

30281265083_f1e183306e_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran