Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get an early dose of Barbara

Just to warm you up for the 24 hour to Barbara Stanwyck on July 16, TCM is showing Sorry, Wrong Number (1948) tonight at 8pm. If you haven't seen this film, I highly recommend it! Stanwyck plays an invalid woman (a rare role for her as a "helpless" type) who overhears a murder plot on the telephone. But just who are they planning to murder? Hmmmmmm......

Burt Lancaster also stars

raccrochez20c27est20uneba1.jpg

cwpbarbarastanwyckdp9.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I remember watching Barbara Stanwyck movies late at night when I was a child. Sometimes I'd watch them with my dad and he'd go on about how much she looks like my mom :)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
*BUMP* Some pre-Code Babs tonight!

Is it just me or has Stanwyck's star grown brighter in recent years? I know that she was always well regarded (I've always liked her) but nowadays there seems to be efforts to elevate her up to Kate and Bette status.

I think it's because she's gone under-appreciated, IMO. Kate and Bette have a sort of iconic status, but Stanwyck doesn't for whatever reason. I personally think she should be as revered. I'm DVR'ing pretty much the whole TCM tribute! :)

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Midnight Palace said:
I think it's because she's gone under-appreciated, IMO. Kate and Bette have a sort of iconic status, but Stanwyck doesn't for whatever reason. I personally think she should be as revered. I'm DVR'ing pretty much the whole TCM tribute! :)

I've noticed also that Stanwyck's "independent" attitude on and off screen appeals to today's audiences; same with the aforemntioned Bette and Kate, I'd also add Joan Crawford to that same rarefied air.(I wasn't a fan of the latter until I saw her in The Women).

Nathan Dodge said:
I've noticed also that Stanwyck's "independent" attitude on and off screen appeals to today's audiences; same with the aforemntioned Bette and Kate, I'd also add Joan Crawford to that same rarefied air.(I wasn't a fan of the latter until I saw her in The Women).

That's true. In addition to her independence being an on-screen/off-screen thing, she also handled her business that way. She wasn't signed to any one studio exclusively, which allowed her to accept scripts/pitches from every major company. Since today's actors/actresses enjoy the same freedom, Barbara was sort of like the mother of that practice.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nathan Dodge said:
I'd also add Joan Crawford to that same rarefied air.(I wasn't a fan of the latter until I saw her in The Women).

Drat! We had The Women out from the library this past week, but never got a chance to watch it. My wife had to return it today. I'll have to check it back out sometime soon.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
AlanC said:
Drat! We had The Women out from the library this past week, but never got a chance to watch it. My wife had to return it today. I'll have to check it back out sometime soon.

It's a good one. I think 1937's Stage Door opened me up to 1930s 'women's" movies and I've found much to enjoy. There's nothing quite like a bunch of amazingly talented actresses shooting one liners back and forth with ratatattat speed. My wife doesn't consider such films "chick flicks", but even if they are, the ones from the 1930s up to the early 1950s are wonderfully entertaining.

Crawford and Rosalind Russell are standouts in The Women, BTW. (sorry to drift off topic, Midnight palace!)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Midnight Palace said:

Barb blows BOTH Kate and Bette out the water, in my opinion. To be perfectly honest, I don't care for Kate and I have to be in the mood for Bette. But Barb -- OUTSTANDING WOMAN!

Hondo

One Too Many
Yes Barbara Stanwyck under appreciated, I remember her well as a kid on The Big Valley, didn’t realize she made so many earlier films, I couldn’t catch them all today on TCM, Jeopardy with Ralph Meeker was interesting little film, as well as Annie Oakley, I enjoy these 1930 films. I hope they show more
I need to add her to my library, Double Indemnity, Meet John Doe, Ball of Fire and many more, YES!! OUTSTANDING WOMAN!
Barbara is greatly missed :(

Stiff Collared

New in Town
Barbara Stanwyck

Nathan Dodge said:
*BUMP* Some pre-Code Babs tonight!

Is it just me or has Stanwyck's star grown brighter in recent years? I know that she was always well regarded (I've always liked her) but nowadays there seems to be efforts to elevate her up to Kate and Bette status.

Yes, her star has grown brighter in recent years, which makes me very happy. Moss Hart told her that she would never win an Oscar because she made it all look too easy. Her acting style is so modern which is why she has been re discovered in the 17 years since she died. A lot of people don't know that she was a big star at Warners when Davis was just starting. In fact Davis had a supporting role in Stanwyck's So Big. She was only 25 years old, one year older than Davis and already playing old ladies. Her range, even at the age was incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner