Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Get On Up!"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I was initially reluctant to see this film because my relationship to James Brown was/is so long and intricate. We both lived in Jamaica, Queens at the same time. I bought his records, saw his shows... danced to his music all my life. The first song I ever learned (sans sheet music) was one of his. He was an idol of mine. Hollywood is rarely faithfull or kind to idols of any stripe... even more so when the subject has large and obvious feet of clay. Still I felt the movie was good as entertainment and information. There's a great deal that is not shown about Mr. Brown, particularly in his later years but those problems are well known... what was not well known was his early life in abject poverty and abuse as well as his life long relationship with Bobby Byrd. Last time I saw James Brown was at the Proctor's Theatre in Schenectady, NY and Bobby Byrd was there... as always, right by James side.

The film is most often compared to "Ray" but that's a disservice to both films. Ray was linear, straight forward and had a defined beginning middle and end. "Get on Up" is distinctly non-linear. One minute you're running through rural Georgia, the next you're in a burning cargo plane over Viet Nam. One minute you're in prison for "robbing a suit", the next minute you're on the T.A.M.I TNT showing Mick Jagger (who is an executive producer of this film) and the rest of the Stones how it's supposed to be done. It can be a disconcerting at times but eventually the hopping and jumping settles down and you get to the heart of the subject. Also James
Brown often breaks the third plane looking and talking directly to the camera.

Chadwick Boseman, last scene tearing around the base paths as Jackie Robinson in "42", is amazing here as Brown, particularly since Boseman is almost a foot taller thant he diminutive Brown was. His dancing prowess does the real Brown justice. Thankfully they didn't try to make Boseman sing like James, they used James Brown's real vocals in all singing. Equally impressive Nelsan Ellis as Bobby Byrd, Ellis can usually be seen on Sunday Nights on HBO's "True Blood" as the flambouyant Lafayette. Both men are better than competent actors and play off one another quite well. There's really not a bad performance in the bunch and that's rare from an ensemble piece.

All in all I give the film a solid "B" and feel that most people and especially musicians of all stripes, will enjoy the film

Worf

I was intrigued when I learned Mick Jagger was producing. I enjoyed the last movie I saw that he produced "Enigma." The reviews to "Get On Up!" have not been kind, but as Worf said, it is disjointed and that is something reviewers rarely enjoy. But, at least of the reviews I read, everyone said Chadwick Boseman did an outstanding job (as he did in "42"). It is now in my Netflix queue.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hadn't even heard they were making a movie about James Brown (of course I do live on the other side of the planet!). Sounds great Worf, I'm gonna check it out. It must have been amazing being there at the time and digging the music as it was happening, when it was new. Mind you to my ears (I wasn't born until '69) the music of greats like Brown, Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave et al is dynamic and timeless. Reckon I'm in for a treat here.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I just saw it on cable. I liked parts of it, but was put off by the jumping-around timeframes, occasional breaking of the fourth wall when Brown jarringly addressed the audience, and use of too-familiar musical biopic tropes when they could have gone a bit differently. Some fine performances and exciting musical sequences, but as a successful film, not in the same league as Ray or Walk The Line.

And of course, I find all musical-figure biographical films kind hard to take seriously after the hilarious, laser-guided deconstructions of Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

tropicalbob

If you watch the T.A.M.I. Show very closely, you see Mick trying out James's footwork. It's hilarious! Keith Richards says that when he first saw James Brown and the Famous Flames on the Stones' first tour he was astounded at how, if anybody in the band messed up, Brown would hold out one, two, or three fingers, signifying a 5, 10, or 15 dollar fine. Kept the band tight.

tropicalbob

What I'd like to see is a good bio-pic of Ike Turner. If you read up on it, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that he got a really bad rap with the whole spousal abuse thing Tina charged him with. Even his kids (who stayed with him) said that Tina was just as bad, or worse , than he was. Besides that, he was one of the pioneers of Rock and Roll. Listen to "Rocket 88" sometime: the first R&R hit for Sun Studos.

...Thankfully they didn't try to make Boseman sing like James, they used James Brown's real vocals in all singing...
And they did an excellent job of it. I can usually "catch" the actor lip-synching, but Boseman was flawless.

As for the rest of the movie, I enjoyed it. I know very little about James Brown so I have no idea how accurate it was, but I thought they did a decent job of telling the story they wanted to tell.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I used to tell women for YEARS after the movie on Tina Turner came out that had there been no Ike Turner there'd have been NO Tina Turner. Svengalli like managers and fathers often are brutal and despicable individuals (Berry Gordy, Michael Jackson's and Brian Wilson's fathers etc...) but sometimes they push people to give us great art that they otherwise wouldn't have done at all. Sad but true...

Worf

Benny Holiday

I finally got hold of it last week, and really enjoyed it. I thought the flashback scenes were a bit jarring, but all in all I enjoyed the story and most of all the music and the recreataion of JB's performances. It sure was no Ray, but still a cool viewing. Some funny moments in there; "She's comin' momma, she's comin'!" :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner