Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Premiere Info?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Here I am again, trying to find apparently obscure information for my novel.

So here goes.

Is there a place that lists the dates and locations of film premieres? For example, I discovered that Rebecca premiered in March 1940 in Florida, but it's release date was April 12, 1940.

I've scoured the pages of Variety and still can't find what I'm looking for. I don't have access to the archives of The Hollywood Reporter through my university.

Is there another source I should try? Basically, what I want to do is have my characters go to a film premiere in Hollywood in April 1940 - and I need to make sure I get the dates right. I originally wanted to use Rebecca, but I cannot find information on if or when there was an actual Hollywood premiere, and not just the premiere in Florida.

Am I making sense? It's late. I'm tired.

@LizzieMaine any ideas? @MikeKardec any ideas?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
April 2, 1940 -- "It All Came True" starring Ann Sheridan and Humphrey Bogart had its premiere at the Hollywood Theatre. And, as we reported in the "Era Day By Day" thread for that date, a very famous incident happened:

"A nineteen-year-old junior at UCLA handcuffed himself to film star Ann Sheridan yesterday and then swallowed the handcuff key. Dick Brunnenkamp spotted the red-headed actress as she entered the Hollywood Theatre for a premiere showing of her first starring picture, ran up to her, snapped on the cuffs, and before anyone could respond to his act, he had already popped the key in his mouth and swallowed it. "I ought to slap you down," snarled Miss Sheridan as Brunnenkamp stood beaming at her in the theatre lobby. Reporters disdained the incident as a press-agent stunt, but if it was, no one connected to Warner Bros. Pictures would admit it. Brunnenkamp told Miss Sheridan that he committed the act on a bet, stating that "the boys at Phi Delta Gamma house bet me a dollar I couldn't do it." "Only a dollar," growled Miss Sheridan. "That's an insult." A locksmith soon arrived to separate the pair, and Miss Sheridan declared she wouldn't press charges, going so far as to invite the young man to dinner after the show." -- Brooklyn Eagle, 4/3/40

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Here I am again, trying to find apparently obscure information for my novel.

So here goes.

Is there a place that lists the dates and locations of film premieres? For example, I discovered that Rebecca premiered in March 1940 in Florida, but it's release date was April 12, 1940.

I've scoured the pages of Variety and still can't find what I'm looking for. I don't have access to the archives of The Hollywood Reporter through my university.

Is there another source I should try? Basically, what I want to do is have my characters go to a film premiere in Hollywood in April 1940 - and I need to make sure I get the dates right. I originally wanted to use Rebecca, but I cannot find information on if or when there was an actual Hollywood premiere, and not just the premiere in Florida.

Am I making sense? It's late. I'm tired.

@LizzieMaine any ideas? @MikeKardec any ideas?
I'm assuming you've tried Wiki and IMDB? If not perhaps one of those voluminous movie guides by Leonard Maltin etc...

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner