Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost Army - documentary on PBS

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
For a limited time, you can watch the PBS documentary, "Ghost Army" on their website at this link: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365012023

Here's the description:

War, deception and art come together in this astonishing true story of American G.I.s who tricked the enemy with rubber tanks, sound effects and carefully crafted illusions during WWII. This remarkable tale of a top-secret mission that was at once absurd, deadly and amazingly effective is told through the stories of the veterans, many of whom would go on to have careers in art, design and fashion

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Saw it on the TCV last night. Of course there were huge deception activities in North Africa, and in England, with the great big phoney army that Patton commanded before D-Day. But to think these guys travelled all over the ETO with their dog and pony show, that's just amazing.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Hitler pulled similar tricks before WW2. Ten or a dozen new airplanes could be made to look like hundreds. The same planes did flyovers and precision flying demonstrations at various air shows around Europe, being repainted after every show and passed off as new ones at the next. Then there were newspaper articles about how this or that unit of the air force had just received delivery of their new fighters, showing the same planes, repainted . Then the next week they were repainted and "delivered" again.

By this and other tricks the Nazis convinced the world that they had an unbeatable military force.

After the war experts examined Hitler's parade limousine and were surprised that it had been repainted seven times, alternately black or dark blue for civilian occasions and olive drab or khaki for military reviews. They thought he had a fleet of them but there was just the one.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Hitler pulled similar tricks before WW2. Ten or a dozen new airplanes could be made to look like hundreds. The same planes did flyovers and precision flying demonstrations at various air shows around Europe, being repainted after every show and passed off as new ones at the next. Then there were newspaper articles about how this or that unit of the air force had just received delivery of their new fighters, showing the same planes, repainted . Then the next week they were repainted and "delivered" again.

By this and other tricks the Nazis convinced the world that they had an unbeatable military force.

After the war experts examined Hitler's parade limousine and were surprised that it had been repainted seven times, alternately black or dark blue for civilian occasions and olive drab or khaki for military reviews. They thought he had a fleet of them but there was just the one.

This is fascinating info. I had never heard of this before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn