Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gigantic Vintage clothing and accessory lot

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've been through the photographs on Photobucket. There's some good stuff there. If I lived in his part of the world I'd snap it up and sell it on. Even if you sold the ties on at $10 each you'd soon start making your money back. If there are 20 pairs of trousers and you sell them at $20 each, you've almost made your money back. He seems to have an entire suitcase filled with vintage showlaces!

Any Lounger in his region, with some cash to spend, might want to check this out - then sell on via the Classifieds.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Because I think someone could get a good deal, I thought I'd post some of his pictures from photobucket:

There are over 80 ties:

Ties 1:
DSCF4325.jpg

Ties 2:
DSCF4333_1.jpg

Ties 3:
DSCF4337_1.jpg

Ties 4:
DSCF5267.jpg

Ties 5:
DSCF5269.jpg

Ties 6:
DSCF5271.jpg

Plus there are 71 damaged/stained ties:
DSCF4344_1-1.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
And here's the suitcase full of vintage laces:
DSCF4818.jpg

Lizard skin shoes:
DSCF5072.jpg

White bucks:
DSCF4846.jpg

more shoes:
DSCF5070.jpg

trousers:
All.jpg

White tuxedos:
DSCF5298.jpg

Look at the weave on this jacket!:
DSCF5235.jpg

And women's stuff:
PaleYellowTaffetagown1.jpg

Cufflinks etc:
DSCF5112.jpg

Hats:
DSCF4760.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm amazed it still hasn't sold! Even selling the good ties at $5 each, you could make $400. Sell the rest of the ties at $2 each you are up to $540.

If you sell the good ties at $10 - which would not be excessive - you could make $200 profit on the $600 investment.

If a similar offer was in the UK, I'd be halfway up the motorway to wherever it was, with a fistful of cash!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Don't do it. It's the rare vintage dealer who manages to retain their passion for the clothing while trying to make a buck. Many of the long-term dealers in London are so jaded as to be unpleasant.
bk

I agree. Going into a business that has numerous outlets and an ever dwindling stock would not be recommended. I wouldn't advise it. Most people in the business have been lurking around for years and have contacts the rest of us could hardly imagine. To be succesful you primarily need to be a business person rather than a lover of vintage clothing. Let's face it, in ten years time, they'll be trying to get excited about selling second hand clothes from the 1990s .... oh, hang on, that's already happening!

That said, if an opportunity to acquire good stock arose, then it's worth considering buying and selling on. Even if you only break even (such as with this batch - I'd be happy to sell everything else to get back the $600 and just keep a couple of jackets).

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GONE!

ITEM IS GONE!

I hope a Lounger bought it. It was a crazy deal. If it was in germany I would have asked three friends and buy the stuff together with them.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A female friend of mine who sells on Etsy as a way of shifting on things that don't fit/don't suit etc said she woud hate to have to rely on being a vintage clothes dealer as a way of making a living and I completely agree.

And Baron, yes, so many of the London dealers are so rude it is unbelievable. When The Antique Clothing Shop closed down in Portobello Road, I thought they deserved to close - the woman who owned that was outright rude to me almost every time I bought something! I understand that lots of people would be timewasters, trying on things they have no intention of purchasing, possibly damaging stock, but when I'm standing at the counter with the cash in my hand???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou