Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Girl 27" - rough documentary on 1937 MGM

Story

I'll Lock Up
History tends to have grimey realities whitewashed.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/0118200...with_the_devil_movies_lou_lumenick.htm?page=0

"Girl 27," another riveting documentary about rape, is set during the same year in Hollywood, where a young dancer named Patricia Douglas answered a call to perform in a musical. She had unknowingly been summoned, with 100 other dancers, to an orgy that MGM, then Hollywood's top studio, had organized for a sales convention.

Douglas' accusation of rape briefly made national headlines, and she filed the first federal rights case involving rape after the district attorney, who had strong ties to the studio, refused to press the case.

But MGM's lawyers made the case go away by paying off, among others, Douglas' lawyers and even her mother.

Building on a piece he wrote for Esquire magazine, writer-director David Stenn digs details of this long-suppressed case and provides a measure of vindication for the elderly and forgotten Douglas, whom he interviewed before her death in 2002.

http://www.mediarights.org/film/girl_27.php
Director David Stenn's Girl 27 is a fiercely dramatic account of a Hollywood scandal that is as pertinent and tragic today as it was in the late 1930s, despite the fact that it's an incident no one seems to remember. Stenn wades heavily into this more than six-decades-old cover-up, which he stumbled upon while doing research for a book on Jean Harlow.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
The documentary sounds interesting. Being a fan of shows like American Justice and Cold Case Files, is one thing. I tried to watch the movie that was made about Gacy, that was just disturbing. Hearing about crimes, and watching some one act them out are two very different things. That's weird that Sundance has gone slasher.

Shearer

Practically Family
Bump!

I knew there had to be a thread on this!

Has anyone else watched this documentary? I managed to catch it late one night this weekend.

Interesting, if predictable story regarding the coverup... I've heard before how well Buron Fitts, the DA, was paid off during his reign. Patricia Douglas's candid interviews about her life afterward are morbidly fascinating. She seemed utterly incapable of forming relationships with anyone after the rape - including her own daughter.

Very sad and curious... worth renting or sticking in the Netflix queue.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I saw this film a few months ago here in LA at the Laemmle Theatre. It was a severely intense film. Wonderfully crafted and delicate. It also gave me a strikingly different view of LB Mayer. I was meaning to write a thread about this film for a while now. Glad someone finally did! I really can't suggest the film enough, just don't go in if you're feeling like all's right with the world because you won't come out feeling that way!

Shearer

Practically Family
mike said:
I really can't suggest the film enough, just don't go in if you're feeling like all's right with the world because you won't come out feeling that way!

Definitely not! I think some of the backstories hinted at in Girl 27 regarding the shadiness of the movie studios would make a great film by itself. The way the movie studios protected their A list stars (fascinating aside with Loretta Young and Clark Gable's illegitemate daughter in the film) whilst throwing the extras and chorus girls to the wolves...

I was a little surprised how very underage - 14 in some cases - the dancers were. I think one of the older women in the film mentions she would hate to wait on set between takes because of the overbearing comments and actions from the men.

Anyway... I don't think the film's getting the attention it deserves. Very nicely done.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Shearer said:
Definitely not! I think some of the backstories hinted at in Girl 27 regarding the shadiness of the movie studios would make a great film by itself. The way the movie studios protected their A list stars (fascinating aside with Loretta Young and Clark Gable's illegitemate daughter in the film) whilst throwing the extras and chorus girls to the wolves...

I was a little surprised how very underage - 14 in some cases - the dancers were. I think one of the older women in the film mentions she would hate to wait on set between takes because of the overbearing comments and actions from the men.

Anyway... I don't think the film's getting the attention it deserves. Very nicely done.

I'm not following you... you're saying "definitely not" what? I think everyone should see it, but be prepared for quite a heavy story is all I'm saying! I agree, the loretta young/gable story was really surprising, I had no idea! I enjoyed how throughout the film you thought this is the footprint that the film will stay within and as it went the universe it existed in got larger and larger. They filmmaker didn't show all his cards right away, in documentaries, that's very tempting, hats off to him indeed!

Shearer

Practically Family
mike said:
I'm not following you... you're saying "definitely not" what? I think everyone should see it, but be prepared for quite a heavy story is all I'm saying! I agree, the loretta young/gable story was really surprising, I had no idea! I enjoyed how throughout the film you thought this is the footprint that the film will stay within and as it went the universe it existed in got larger and larger. They filmmaker didn't show all his cards right away, in documentaries, that's very tempting, hats off to him indeed!

Oh, sorry! Yes, I was being a bit confusing there! That was just a roundabout way of completely agreeing with you about the heavy storyline :D

mike

Call Me a Cab
Shearer said:
Oh, sorry! Yes, I was being a bit confusing there! That was just a roundabout way of completely agreeing with you about the heavy storyline :D

aaha! so we have reached an impass and will just have to agree to disagree then! :p

but seriously folks, this movie was a rude awakening, I had always held MGM in the highest regard, I mean any company that decides to introduce itself to the world with releasing He Who Gets Slapped, well that is a company built on artistic merit! But I guess there's always the shady side of wheeling and dealing of the business world too.

I'm in the middle of reading William Fox's ousting from his own company circa 1935 right now from a couple of different sources including a recent book by one his more recent family members.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Shearer said:
lol Well if that's the way you want it!

Is it a book on Fox you're reading? If so, any good?

Yes, I'm at work and not paying enough attention to what I'm typing apparently! It's written by his great granddaughter and shows a very interesting early perspective of Hollywood circa 1917!

here it is

I've got two other books lined up after that that show him in not such a glorious light to try to get some true perspective on the actions that led to him losing his own company by way of Louis B Mayer himself!

Speaking of which, pre-Darryl Zanuck Fox Films had Frank Borzage as one of their staple high end directors. He is virtually forgotten nowadays although was an equal to Murnau and King Vidor and I think the argument can be made that he showcases William Fox's own desire to make respectable MGM level films equal in the emotional intensity of the mid/late 20's german realist movement (post-expressionist). All of this relates back to reevaluating studio heads from 80+ years ago to attempt to know who they were as people. Be it LB Mayer at MGM with this Girl 27 tragedy or William Fox virtually digging his own grave.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
I had always held MGM in the highest regard, I mean any company that decides to introduce itself to the world with releasing He Who Gets Slapped, well that is a company built on artistic merit! But I guess there's always the shady side of wheeling and dealing of the business world too.
Don't make the mistake of taking the studio moguls for businessmen. What they did was beyond business. They were more like doges or feudal lords, always out to broaden their power base and not at all concerned with how many enemies they might make along the way.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Don't make the mistake of taking the studio moguls for businessmen. What they did was beyond business. They were more like doges or feudal lords, always out to broaden their power base and not at all concerned with how many enemies they might make along the way.

Sure, but everyone starts somewhere. They had to begin as just businessmen trying to do things in a way that was just good business. There's something about how streamlined and simple filmmaking was at those early stages that I've always appreciated. It seems very grass roots, all the good things you do in film school and then don't experience at a film company.

The William Fox book I linked above isn't the best written book by any means but I have certainly have a soft spot for scenes of Tom Mix hanging out in Edendale (Glendale) California basically begging for a job!

Shearer

Practically Family
Thanks very much for the link! I'm always on the lookout for something like that to read. It's true... books about semi-esoteric stuff might not be Pulitzer caliber writing, but it's the little anecdotes and stories like the Tom Mix one you mentioned that make those books worthwhile :)

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
*VERY* intrigueing and I look forward to seeing this.
It's hard to think that this poor girl's attorney & mother
were both paid off, but then I think it was during the
Depression yes?? ((Not sure if 1937 was as much as a
struggle as the earlier 1930s had been)) If so then perhaps
this is why money ended up winning over the hearts of
these people she needed the most. This poor girl...
what a horrible situation! She was so brave to have
told the police about it and enduring the publicity of it
only to have it buried, along with all the pay offs.

I am happy that her story is finally told.
I will look for it to rent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy