Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Give a Newbie a Break Redux

Warlock

Suspended
I have seen many references to COW here, but I cannot deduce what it is exactly? Is it a forum and is it related in anyway to the Fedora Lounge? Are there any other common acronyms or abbreviations a new member would find useful? Thanks in advance.

MattJH

One Too Many
Warlock said:
I have seen many references to COW here, but I cannot deduce what it is exactly? Is it a forum and is it related in anyway to the Fedora Lounge? Are there any other common acronyms or abbreviations a new member would find useful? Thanks in advance.

COW = Club Obi-Wan. I only gave it a cursory look and it mostly appears to be populated by people who wish they were Indiana Jones. Their metatag confirms it: "The definitive outlet for discussion of collecting, researching, and replicating/acquiring the Indiana Jones Costume, Props, etc." There are 13737 posts alone on Indiana Jones' whip.

The whole thing creeps me out.

MattJH

One Too Many
Joel Tunnah said:
Uh oh. Take cover! :eek:

Hah! Nobody should take my opinion personally. If somebody wants to be Indiana Jones, they shouldn't care that I think they're weird. If somebody thinks I'm a jerk for thinking they're weird, then we're even and we can share a pitcher of delicious beer.

warbird

One Too Many
I wish somebody could could explain this to me: If it is a site about Indiana Jones. I remember a character in Star Wars, Obi Wan Kenobi. However, I remember no such character in the IJ movies. And they weren't played by the same person either. So how is it that a IJ bulletin board is named such?

FWIW I have read over there a few times and noticed several FL folks also post over there.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Indeed.

There are many COW members here; in fact, The Fedora Lounge was created by COW members with expanding interests in the Golden Era. Many of us still visit there often, get lots of good general information on leather gear, clothing, etc. Not all of it Indiana Jones-centric. A lot of stuff and great information is echanged there among good friends, much like here.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
warbird said:
I wish somebody could could explain this to me: If it is a site about Indiana Jones. I remember a character in Star Wars, Obi Wan Kenobi. However, I remember no such character in the IJ movies. And they weren't played by the same person either. So how is it that a IJ bulletin board is named such?

FWIW I have read over there a few times and noticed several FL folks also post over there.

In Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom opening scenes, Jones visits a night club called Club Obi-Wan. Lucas poking fun at himself.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It is the name of the Club from "Temple of Doom:" Club Obi Wan. It is the one where Indy is tricked into drinking poison at the beginning of the film.

Hemingway Jones -Proud member of COW and have many good friends there. :)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
It is an invaluable resource for pictures of brown Wested jackets.

You may also find some pictures of brown hats there.

edit: :) ;) :)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
warbird said:
Thank you for the reply, I have long wondered. I did not remember the name of the club in TOD, but that certainly does sound very Lucas.

Rehashing the same idea over and over again?

warbird

One Too Many
While I don't believe his movies to be the greatest of all time, I must say I enjoy most of his movies and take them for what they are, entertainment. I have noticed he often alludes to a past movie in another of the sequel or another Lucas film

To me it is not rehashing so much as it is a quick snippet for the fans to pick up on the second or third viewing, some on the first I'm sure. But by rehashing you may be alluding to something else entirely.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Stupid is as supid does

BegintheBeguine said:
Just this past week I figured out what OFAS stood for. I thought it was some outlet for flight jackets and such, darn. Glad I didn't ask, I don't like to look stupid all the time.

Okay, I do not mind looking stupid - as long as I'm not being stupid by not eliminating my own ignorance;)

What does OFAS stand for?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
Just this past week I figured out what OFAS stood for. I thought it was some outlet for flight jackets and such, darn. Glad I didn't ask, I don't like to look stupid all the time.
lol :eusa_clap

I can relate to that!

I recently was about to post the question about OFAS myself but after a lot of searching finally found a post that actually had the definition in it.

Cheers,
Tom

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Having worked with computers for over 40 years, I'm just tired of learning curves. Every other week it seems there's a whole new vocabulary to learn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace