Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glass bead cuff links?

Jovan

Suspended
My mum owns a small (very small!) company here in Gainesville that makes glass bead jewellery such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc. I've been thinking of creating some cuff links with the glass beads she makes, so we could tap into the male market a bit (by wives and girlfriends buying for them as a gift, at least). However, I'm at a loss of how to do it. Is there anyone that knows how you would make such a thing? I'm thinking of making them using a small bit of silver chain as the link and a T-bar used for connecting necklaces.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jovan said:
My mum owns a small (very small!) company here in Gainesville that makes glass bead jewellery such as necklaces, bracelets, earrings, etc. I've been thinking of creating some cuff links with the glass beads she makes, so we could tap into the male market a bit (by wives and girlfriends buying for them as a gift, at least). However, I'm at a loss of how to do it. Is there anyone that knows how you would make such a thing? I'm thinking of making them using a small bit of silver chain as the link and a T-bar used for connecting necklaces.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is a vintage style but having tried to get those through a starched cuff, I would prefer a straight shank with either a folding T bar or a ball at the end.
Something along the lines of this:
0022_1.JPG

or these:
14c2_1.JPG

Even the folding at both ends is easier to use. Might as well not discourage future cufflink wearers and get a product together that goes over big.
Just my opinion though. Easier tends to sell easier as we say here. ;)

Regards,

J

Jovan

Suspended
I think the better question is... would any of you buy such a thing? I'm also considering making stylish tie bars to go with it, which wouldn't be too hard with thick silver wire.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
I think the better question is... would any of you buy such a thing? I'm also considering making stylish tie bars to go with it, which wouldn't be too hard with thick silver wire.

Depends on what the beads look like. I would not wear matching cufflinks and tie bar.

Could you use two beads connected by a chain?

Jovan said:
Well basically all I have to work with is necklace stuff and wire, and I don't know how I'd do it tastefully with a glass bead.

Ok, I see what you have to work with then. I think the thick silver wire could be used as BK stated or something like the T-bar at one end and the bead at the other.
As long as it was a decent patterned bead---something like Veniaitan glass etc---I would think about buying it.

Regards,

J

Jovan

Suspended
Orgetorix said:
Depends on what the beads look like. I would not wear matching cufflinks and tie bar.

Could you use two beads connected by a chain?
That's what I've been thinking about, as well as just a single bead on the "show" side and T-bar on the other. My intents with the tie bar would just be matching it in the metal colour (gold or silver), not adding beads or anything. I can't stand bejewelled tie bars.

I will see if, with her permission, I can show you guys a few samples of what she does. She hand makes all the glass beads herself, so they're all unique pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner