Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clifton's Cafeteria in Los Angeles

Professor

A-List Customer
IMG_4628.jpg

On Broadway downtown -- amid a jumble of shops selling gold necklaces and sports socks and electric guitars, amid exhaust and noise and has-been theaters, amid hipsters, the down and out and the just plain out of it -- an authentic piece of history goes about the business it began during the Great Depression, feeding everyone who walks through the glass doors.

IMG_4659.jpg

Wander into Clifton’s Brookdale, the cafeteria on Broadway at 7th Street, and it might seem obvious what makes it unique. Perhaps the waterfall that cascades over several ledges. Or the huge moose head hanging on a wall overlooking one of the dining rooms and the bear holding a fishing pole. Maybe the tiny -- and popular -- tree trunk chapel with its neon cross and inspirational recorded message. But it's more than these.

Walk the winding cafeteria line and choose tiny red and green cubes of Jell-O (or three or four other kinds), liver (beef or chicken) and onions. Or stuffed peppers, pot roast, deviled salmon or Vienna loaf. Coleslaw, corn bread. Or, all of the above.

Dessert greets diners with their trays at the start of the line, and it's the last food on the stainless steel racks leading to the quick-fingered cashiers: tapioca and rice puddings, raisin pie. And the cakes: chocolate banana cream, red velvet, carrot, German chocolate, strawberry cream -- all made on the fourth floor under the direction of Margareto Sanchez, the 64-year-old baker who has worked at Clifton's since 1968.

At lunch one day, local historian Charles Phoenix called Clifton's the "world's greatest place to eat." He conducts downtown tours and has brought thousands of people over the years to Clifton's to experience the collision of down-home and theatricality. "But when you get down to the nitty-gritty of what's so special, it's the people," Phoenix says.

Clifton's, with more than 600 seats on three floors, is the last remaining of eight cafeterias around Los Angeles that the Clinton family has owned since 1931. It must be one of the most diverse spots in the city -- ethnically, economically, just about any way you cut it. It's like home is supposed to be, a place where they take you in no matter what, where you're respected even if you don't fit in perfectly elsewhere.

A woman whose close-cropped hair is dyed in a leopard pattern carries her tray through one morning at Christmastime. At lunch another day, a family of five pauses to say grace, the two little boys join hands in prayer before eating fried chicken legs. Another table has the unlikely trio of a young black woman whose face is obscured by a hoodie, a middle-aged Middle Eastern man in a yarmulke and a conservatively dressed balding white man.

The average check is about $8; Thanksgiving dinner was $6.89, $4.99 for kids. Clifton's sells the comfort of rice pudding or stuffed cabbage, neither fancy nor fabulous. The goal is affordable standards, homemade, not haute. Today's leftovers make tomorrow's soups.

The place is "kind of an equalizer," says Robert Clinton, who today owns the cafeteria with his father, Donald. "Some of our prejudices may be lessened."

It's also a place full of regulars, people who have come to Clifton's for decades, as children after church, perhaps, or while shopping with their parents.

"I can't change any condiment or spice -- they would know," Armando Orta, a food manager, says in amazement.

On the first floor, tables are often shared, and though there are no rules, people who wish to eat alone usually head up the stairs. ("Busboys," often women, will carry diners' trays for them if desired.)

Many mornings around 7:30 on Clifton's second floor, a group of regulars gathers, spreading out over four or five tables. They don't come in together and they don't actually sit together, preferring to talk across the tables. They talk sports and politics, work on crosswords, read newspapers or use a laptop.

Van Jones says some of them have been coming off and on for 30 years, originally sitting in the smoking section.

"We don't have anything else in common other than that we come here," Jones says. "But let me tell you something. If you get this whole group together, I don't think there's a topic that's sacred."

They like being left alone and sometimes keep the chairs warm until 10 or so.

"You come here and it's like coming home," says Jones, 63, a widower and father of two grown daughters.

Owner's Philosophy

The cafeteria's founder, Clifford Clinton, made the Golden Rule a pillar of his business philosophy: How would you like to be treated?

"When things happened that required a difficult decision, he would ask that question, and answer it honestly. Sometimes it cost money, and it was painful," says Robert Clinton, Clifford's grandson. "We try to do that."

In the restaurant's busiest period, the 1940s, lines would form down Broadway, with as many as 10,000 customers coming through the door on a good day. Today, Clifton's serves 1,800 to 2,000 people a day; Sundays are busiest.

Clifford Clinton sought a half-cent profit per customer. "That doesn't pay the utilities today," says Donald Clinton, a lean and graceful 82-year-old sitting in his small, third-floor office full of photographs he's taken around the world. For a time, Clinton ran the company with his brother and sister. His brother eventually left to become a lawyer. His sister, Jean Clinton Roeschlaub, stayed until her death in 2005, when she was killed at her Glendale home by an unknown assailant. (The county last month authorized a $20,000 reward for information in the case.)

In 2006, the Clintons bought the building that houses the cafeteria, shielding it from the vagaries of leasing. But business has been down 30% in the last six months, Donald Clinton says. "We are trying to survive during difficult times."

Not for the first time.

Feeding the Poor

Clifford Clinton was born in 1900 and, as a child, accompanied his parents, who owned cafeterias in San Francisco, on a missionary trip to China, where he encountered the extreme poverty that forever infused his approach to work and to life.

In 1931, he and his wife, Nelda, opened the first Clifton's (a merging of his first and last names) on Olive Street. Clifton's Brookdale opened in 1935 at a time when there were plenty of cafeterias and with a motto that practically courted failure: "Dine Free Unless Delighted."

Clifton's never lacked for customers then -- even if those customers sometimes lacked money.

As a boy, Donald recalls helping out on weekends filling water glasses. He also recalls that Clifton's handed out thousands of cardboard containers of free food, with wooden spoons, out the back door.

According to the company, 10,000 people ate free in one 90-day period. To cope, Clinton's opened an emergency "Penny Caveteria" in a basement on Hill Street and over the next two years fed 2 million people. Some paid the penny for a dish; those who couldn't afford it instead paid with meal tickets that donors had bought and distributed.

"He could have gone bankrupt honoring his childhood promise were it not for faithful suppliers, generous vendors and the grace of God, who saw him through those difficult days," a company brochure said.

By the end of World War II, Clifford Clinton saw that postwar hunger would be a problem in many parts of the world.

He and his wife funded work by Henry Borsook, a Caltech biochemist, that led to the development of a soy-based high-protein supplement called MultiPurpose Food that cost less than 5 cents a portion. The Clintons in 1946 founded Meals for Millions, now the Davis, Calif.-based Freedom From Hunger Foundation, which used MultiPurpose Food to feed people in many countries.

As a prominent family with strong beliefs, they also were involved in politics. Clifford and his son Edmond were part of a 1938 recall movement that ousted Los Angeles Mayor Frank Shaw over charges that Shaw and other officials ignored gambling and prostitution problems in the city, The Times wrote in Edmond's 1992 obituary.

The family's activism prompted a backlash: Health inspectors suddenly required expensive repairs, Robert says. Smoke bombs were set off in bathrooms in both downtown cafeterias. Someone went to Central Avenue, filled a bus with black people and drove them to Clifton's, thinking that "would be a great way to scare off the white customers," he says.

The plan backfired. "A lot of our customers were churchgoing people. What it did was bring in all these new customers," he says.

Almost Theatrical

If the Clintons know how to treat "guests" with respect, they also clearly know how to put on a show.

Clifton's Brookdale was inspired by a lodge in the Santa Cruz Mountains, intended to give diners "the feeling you get sitting by a stream" or deep in a redwood forest, Robert says.

At one point, when people dropped a coin in the wishing well, a thank-you light came on. When people put a hand into the sherbet cave, a free bowl of sherbet was sent up a conveyor. (The sugar rations of World War II ended that.) Until the health department stepped in, live canaries joined the sounds of the waterfall. An entertainment tax prompted an end to the organist; these days taped music runs from Brahms to Frank Sinatra to Mick Jagger.

And there's a tiny chapel in a tree trunk. Inside there's a diorama of the redwoods; a taped speech praises the value of perseverance.

Clifford Clinton intended to provide food for the soul as well as for the body, and the business has always had a spiritual component. That was served in part through the 2,338 issues of "Food for Thot," a pamphlet of poems, stories and announcements that was published for 63 years, until 1995. Diners can still find old ones displayed at Clifton's, with the Clifford Clinton quote at the top: " 'We pray our humble service be measured not by gold, but by the Golden Rule.' Suggestions and criticisms appreciated."

A New Generation

Robert Clinton wasn't always sure he wanted to spend his life in the family business. After high school, he considered other careers before coming to work with his father. Later, he left briefly to work as a salesman. But for most of the last four decades, he has carried on. He knows many of his customers by name, and occasionally they see one another on the train downtown.

Twenty-nine years after meeting his wife at the Clifton's in Century City, he says, "we're still together; we still love each other."

Clifton's, open every day, aims to be as steadfast.

"Our concept hasn't changed. Our food hasn't changed much," Robert says.

Robert, who turns 55 this month, may be the last generation of his family to operate Clifton's. His daughters, young adults, are not interested. But he says, "Dad's 82. I figure I've got at least another 30 years."

And downtown is changing, with some theaters reviving and new galleries, new residents. With ads and fliers promoting "an after-dark adventure," the resolutely un-hip Clifton's hopes to add downtown's hipsters to its guest list. The bakery at the front is staying open until 10 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and during the monthly downtown art walk held on Thursdays.

"It won't cost much to try it," Robert said. "Maybe we'll make some new friends."

Heather Desurvire, who ventured in on a Thursday night with a friend, could be one of them.

"This is the best gallery I've seen all night," she said. "There are some spirits here for sure."

For Sale

The recent news that the downtown building housing Clifton’s Cafeteria is for sale worried its customers and employees, says Robert Clinton, president of Clifton’s Cafeteria Inc. But he says his family has “no intention” of closing the historic Broadway restaurant.

“We have a business that’s been going since 1931,” he said over coffee this morning. “We have a commitment to our associates [employees] and our customers.”

Regular customers asked where they'd go without Clifton's, he said.

Clifton’s was bustling with breakfast business, and Clinton says summer is often busy. Foreign tourists like the cafeteria, he says, because they can get a meal without worrying about crossing the language barriers.

Not that the times are easy. Clinton calls the sale “a strategy to help us survive this tough time.”

The family wants a buyer who will then rent the space back to them and who “has a fondness for historical properties.” The Clintons bought the building in 2006, after previously leasing it since opening their doors.

IMG_4697.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

A recent recon for the Deep LA Bultmore Meet brought us to Cliftons for lunch and the plans for the meet are looking at a lunch or other meal at Clifton's. A real icon of LA, Clifton's is a neat place.

I have consistantly enjoyed their food at the old Lakewood Mall location and was disappointed when that was closed as was the old West Covina Fashion Plaza location. As a bachelor male I enjoyed their dinner meals as a close second to homemade. I loved to get the turkey and stuffing but they have so much good stuff. Good vegies too.

If you are nearby make it a consideration for a meal, they can use your support.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Can someone refresh my memory and tell me if there used to be Clifton's Cafeteria at the Stonewood Mall in Downey. This was back when it was an open air shopping center. I remember it being on the far right of the complex if you look at the place from Firestone Blvd. I just can't remember if that was a Clifton's or not. I remember going there as a kid a couple times.

Or maybe it was just the location in Lakewood like John mentions.

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
Wow, I remember it well. I thought it was long gone by now. Back in the fifties, I considered a visit to Clifton's luxury dining and always spent more than I intended to. I'd sit there and read the little inspirational brochures and just enjoy the wonderful ambience. And down-and-outers used to line up outside for free handouts every day as well. And I loved the other one. I don't remembe exactly where it was, but I believe the theme was tropical. Great food and eveything always looks to good I couldn't pass it up! As Mr. Hope would say, "Thanks for the memory!"

Ahhhh, now that brings back memories! When I was a little tyke back in the late '60s, early '70s I used to go with my mom when she went shopping in Downtown L.A. -- back when it was still the place to shop. And no trip to Downtown L.A. was complete without lunch at Clifton's! I fondly remember the child's Treasure Tray! :)

Last time I was at Clifton's was over 20 years ago. I definitely need to go back there some time.

mike

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:
"All you SoCal folk need to go there and spend Money!$! thats the only way to save it"

I agree with whoever it is that you are quoting!

Clifton's was also the main meeting place for Ray Bradbury, Forry Ackerman, Ray Harryhausen and TONS of early scientifiction fans all through the 1930's. The owner actually was a fan of the strange and unusual. So he literally fed the minds and bellies of those kids so they'd come to his place to have their regular literary meetings! Flash forward x # of decades, and imagimovies were never the same!

JennyLou

Practically Family
I went to Clitfon's for the first time on November 23 and I loved it. I have been there again and plan on going many more times.

Dagwood

Practically Family
From the Eater website:

Andrew Meiran (The Edison) is a busy man these days. Not only is he gearing up to open a branch of The Edison in New York, but Eater just got word that Meiran has purchased Clifton's Cafeteria on 7th and Broadway, a venue that has been around since 1931. Known for preserving historic locations and retaining original artifacts and décor as he did with The Edison, word on the street is that Meiran is planing to do such with the Clifton’s space and possibly convert it into a tiki concept with two separate bars in the upper part of the building. On the subject of this takeover, Meiran says, "We are excited about the prospect of being involved in the revitalization of Broadway and the one of the nation's most historic eating establishments. We hope to continue Clifton's incredible legacy as the cultural, social and architectural landmark in Los Angeles.”

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm pretty sure I've been there.

Don't ask!! (the auld mind is going on me this morning!!). But Cary Farnsworth took me there a couple of times for a bite to eat!! I actually have found that downtown LA (Which my first visit, I just didn't warm to at all), is really interesting if you explore on foot there are loads of little markets and cafes tucked away. I like it!

Oh darn! THere 's no time schedule listed with the story. When is Clifton's closing? I can't imagine them keeping the cafeteria theme at all. It's a shame to lose the last one, but with the economy so bad and in this state it's worse than most others around the country. So many businesses are struggling. Clifton's has been in a somewhat precarious position for a while so it may simply be time for the family to say we had a great run but it's time to make some changes.

John in Covina said:
Oh darn! THere 's no time schedule listed with the story. When is Clifton's closing? I can't imagine them keeping the cafeteria theme at all. It's a shame to lose the last one, but with the economy so bad and in this state it's worse than most others around the country. So many businesses are struggling. Clifton's has been in a somewhat precarious position for a while so it may simply be time for the family to say we had a great run but it's time to make some changes.

The thought that businesses like Clifton's that survived the Depression (and even thrived despite it) can't survive this economy is quite frightening.

Somewhere online recently, I can't remember if it was a blog, another forum or a comment, I saw that someone referred to the Depression as the First Great Depression -- that's the first time I've ever seen anybody reference it that way!

V.C. Brunswick said:
The thought that businesses like Clifton's that survived the Depression (and even thrived despite it) can't survive this economy is quite frightening.

You have to remember that today there are expenses to running a business that did not exist during the first depression. The restaurant business has so many hidden fees, licenses, and taxes from State, county and local city government such as: having a dispenser type soda fountain there are special fees if you want to use CO2 in a tank to run the fountain. There are fees to operate a deep fryer. The Board of Health is constanly changing regulations so your renovation the kitchen every year to two years because of their interference. There are other mandated equipment changes. Upgrades for the disabled. People have to be licesnsed and or certified, mandated continuing education for certification. It's an endless stream of money going out that doesn't buy one item that goes with a meal but it does support government.

Dagwood

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Oh darn! THere 's no time schedule listed with the story. When is Clifton's closing?

According to LA Times: "Developer and nightclub operator Andrew Meieran is expected to take over Wednesday [September 22, 2010]. Terms of the [40-year] lease were not disclosed, but Meieran will have full control of the four-story building and the cafeteria that has fed generations of Angelenos."

However, the Clinton family will continue to own the building but, according to the article, "won't meddle as landlords."

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
It's a cryin' shame. Here's hoping the new operator retains some of the original charm, but I'm not holding my breath.

Even better, here's hoping he carries on the charitable traditions established long ago by the owners of Clifton's.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I'm not sure how much this pertains to this thread, but I thought it on odd enough coincidence to mention... in this article http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/missing-hiker-edward-rosenthal-survives-6-days-without-food-water/19656775?test=latestnews

The hiker is a man named Rosenthal who was one of the agents responsible for the selling of Clifton's Cafeteria... he went missing in Joshua Tree park for 6 days and survived without any water. Fascintating article. The Cafeteria barely gets a sentence, but again strange coincidence as I was reading this thread and the article at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner