Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did men in the Golden Era wear black watch straps with black dress shoes?

T. L. Beddoes

New in Town
Now it is considered a norm to wear a black watch strap for black dress shoes, and I want to know if this rule was as strictly observed in the Golden Era (30s and 40s). My knowledge is very limited, but I generally see tan or brown straps in wrist watch ads from that era. Did men wear black straps when they were in town with black shoes? Jimmy Stewart in Rope wears a brown strap and black shoes, and I want to hear about other examples like this. Also, a person may have owned only one wrist watch (or may have used a pocket watch for business/formal occasions).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I would think that married men wouldn't get out of the house with mismatched leathers--shoes, belt, watch strap. Otherwise, then, as now, men who knew better probably made sure they were not in brown shoes/black watch band/vice-versa.

Edward

Bartender
I suspect wealthy or at least better off men avoided mixing their browns and their blacks; those further down the economic scale who might only be able to afford one watch and one strap at a time quite likely mixed out of necessity. (And might have always mixed if they could only afford one pair of shoes at a time as well.)

T. L. Beddoes

New in Town
I would think that married men wouldn't get out of the house with mismatched leathers--shoes, belt, watch strap. Otherwise, then, as now, men who knew better probably made sure they were not in brown shoes/black watch band/vice-versa.
Thank you for your comment. "Married men" sounds convincing.

T. L. Beddoes

New in Town
I suspect wealthy or at least better off men avoided mixing their browns and their blacks; those further down the economic scale who might only be able to afford one watch and one strap at a time quite likely mixed out of necessity. (And might have always mixed if they could only afford one pair of shoes at a time as well.)
As you have said, it may come down to how wealthy they were. Thank you for your thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner