Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glasses for scotch and other obscure barware

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Hello all!

Wondering if anyone has recommendations on classy, yet not outrageously priced scotch glasses. I haven't had much luck looking them up online.

Is it called something other than a scotch glass?

Also, does anyone know of a complete list of what type of glass goes with various types of drink?

Thanks!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Are you looking for what they call an "old fashioned glass" for on-the-rocks? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fashioned_glass

Although they might be a bit different than a strict old fashioned, most department stores carry what they call tumblers, which are a bit bigger than an old fashioned (more like a double). In the U.S. one manufacturer that I like (and has been around since the 1930s/1940s) is Anchor Hocking which is made in the USA. Places like Walmart and Kmart carry them. Another brand is Libby, which is made outside the USA and has inferior quality in my opinion (breakage issues). These tumblers often come mixed in boxes of what would probably be defined as double old fashioned and highball glasses, and are meant as everyday drinking water glasses, with molded patterns on them.

If you want strict barware glasses, try a restaurant supply store. You might have to buy a large box of them, and they are probably going to be plain- what you would see in a typical bar. Some stores have open boxes (or open glassware) where you can pick how many you'd like.

You of course, can always spend more money on glassware, if you want to buy cut or lead crystal.

I have the The Ultimate Bar Book at home. This has a really nice listing in the front of what you need for a basic, middle, and complete bar, including glassware, and what you can use in place of what if you don't have it. It also gives a nice description of the different ingredients, which is helpful if you want to experiment and make your own drinks.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I prefer the Glencairn glass. I got mine for £5 at the Whisky Shop in York.

dram-of-scotch.jpg

Ed13

Familiar Face
I like traditional tumblers for mixed drinks or something on the rocks. I drink my whisky neat so I prefer the Glencairn glass. I purchased them from the link Bob posted above. Very nice to deal with.

I would also recommend trying the watch glass covers if ordering from above. If you like the nose of your whisky these little pieces of glass do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR