Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves for Black Tie?

AEF17

New in Town
I have encountered information that white, gray, and black gloves are all acceptable for black-tie. Which is correct? I thought that I would ask those who know, and not go by random internet information.

At a white-tie event, I know that gloves are to be worn unless eating. While I sincerely doubt that this rule applies to black-tie, was there a time (maybe 1910's/1920's when the dinner jacket was rather new) when this occurred? I've seen my fair share of late silent/early talking films with no evidence of gloves being worn, even while dancing. Otherwise, I assume that I am to wear the gloves to the event and then take them off.

I have a white pair of gloves, and although it would be wonderful to know that I need not buy a pair of gloves in another color, I would want to do what is correct, but of course not to the extent of being "correct" merely because it was so in 1928. People just wouldn't understand, but I digress!

Any assistance that you can render would be greatly appreciated!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
With white tie you wear white kid gloves indoors, the kind that button at the wrist. Outdoors you wear whatever goes with your coat (which is usually a Chesterfield, but really doesn't have to be, as long as it's of the gray to black species). With black tie, you don't wear gloves indoors (did you EVER see anyone wearing gloves with black tie in the movies?) and since you would wear an overcoat that would look right with black, you'd wear black gloves outdoors. Now I've seen (again in the movies) men outdoors in black tie with black gloves. That would also make sense.
Some people may say that black tie requires this or that kind of overcoat, but again, in the movies there are all sorts of coats, including trench coats.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Exactly. If it's cold, wear whichever gloves you would normally wear with your overcoat on your way to the event. Inside, no gloves.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Generally, smooth black leather of typical make (lambskin, deerskin, etc.) or grey chamois/suede: the two colors that harmonize with black without looking like somebody forgot to wear his tailcoat to the debutante ball.

I wouldn't do tan or brown gloves with black tie, and I wouldn't attempt to wear them indoors.

AEF17

New in Town
The only people I've ever seen wear gloves indoors with blacktie were waiters, mimes, and magicians.

The last thing that I would want to be taken for is a mime!

Thank you, all, for confirming that I need not worry about this, and that I can leave the white gloves at home.

nihil

One of the Regulars
My military dinner uniform is black tie with white gloves. It's my impression that the set is very correct in all details, apart from the individual components are made from low quality materials (polyester bow and scarf, cotton gloves, artificial fibers in the trousers and jacket, non-starched shirt...but then again...it's the military).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy