Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Glow" stains help needed desperately

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I know they say ladies don't sweat, they glow, but I have a massive problem I'm really worried about due to the current NY heat wave.

I wore a cream-colored silk jacket/blouse to work today (it's a top that is shaped like a jacket) and it is kind of... very wet right now. I'm *really* worried that it will turn yellow when it dries. is there anything I can do? This top is absolutely precious to me and itis imperative that it be saved!

Should I put it on top of the AC? Spray it with vodka? (Shoot! I don't think I have any in the house!) Run it down to the drycleaners right now??

Please help!

BV

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
Thanks! It's looking good.

I have another, related question. I have a lovely seersucker dress, and I hear a lot about seersucker in the summer. If one perspires while wearing seersucker and it gets wet, will all the lovely texture flatten out? I believe mine is actually made of rayon.

Thanks!

BV - this weather is absurd.

maisie

Practically Family
I don't think that will happen to seersucker as it was used for quite a few of the nurses uniforms during WWII, and they were worn a lot in very hot climates overseas.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear seersucker fairly often in the summer, and I've never had it wilt on me -- the crinkly texture is in the weave, so it never goes flat. In fact, conventional wisdom is that the crinkle actually makes seersucker cooler to wear on a hot because it helps the air circulate.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
maisie said:
I don't think that will happen to seersucker as it was used for quite a few of the nurses uniforms during WWII, and they were worn a lot in very hot climates overseas.

I have a complete WWII Army Nurse seersucker uniform. I have worn it several times to outdoor events in the heat here (100+ degrees), and sweated myself through. I have also washed it on gentle here at home a couple of times. Granted mine is all cotton, but either way the fabric should not flatten out when it gets wet. Just hang it up to dry. The only way it will flatten is if you have it pressed.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
I have a complete WWII Army Nurse seersucker uniform. I have worn it several times to outdoor events in the heat here (100+ degrees), and sweated myself through. I have also washed it on gentle here at home a couple of times. Granted mine is all cotton, but either way the fabric should not flatten out when it gets wet. Just hang it up to dry. The only way it will flatten is if you have it pressed.

Ah, I'm so jealous! That is extremely cool.

Thanks all for the help, glad to know i can wear it with almost-impunity.

BV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner