Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glued in liners

Viktor

One of the Regulars
My first impression was lower value.

I have learned that this is not true, for there are many well known hatters and companies using this technique which reduces labor cost, plus easy liner replacement, cleaning and nice to remove on those hot days.

Now if I were ordering a custom hat, I would prefer a tacked in liner.

If you were to order a custom hat which would you prefer? Or does it really matter?

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Even on customs there is likely to be some glue involved.
I was pulling the liner from one of my VS hats this weekend and after cutting the threads I had to deal with the glue spots.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Even on customs there is likely to be some glue involved.
I was pulling the liner from one of my VS hats this weekend and after cutting the threads I had to deal with the glue spots.

I suppose this might be because the weight of the liner itself would allow it eventually to sag without a bit of glue. Stitches work great where they can be hidden, around the lower edge.

Western Oregon weather is rarely cold enough to need a liner, so I remove most all of mine.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Custom I would prefer tacked. So if I wanted to remove the liner I could. Not that I would but it would be an option.
Johnny

Viktor

One of the Regulars
I suppose this might be because the weight of the liner itself would allow it eventually to sag without a bit of glue. Stitches work great where they can be hidden, around the lower edge.

Western Oregon weather is rarely cold enough to need a liner, so I remove most all of mine.

Good point on the liner weight, especially for tall crowns. I would venture to say that it depends on the liner quality and design hatters use which can cause sagging if not glued, for example I have a Peters Bro which has a large protective plastic in the liner and it does sag, only because it has been removed from the glue. On the other hand I have a vintage Whippet and the liner stays in place just by tacking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran