Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GM Announces the End of Pontiac

TM

A-List Customer
GM needs to keep Buick alive since Buick is a very respected brand name in China.

In Detroit there has always been tension between the "Piston Heads" and the "Bean Counters". Pontiac in the 1960's was driven by engineers and car nuts who cared about what they were doing. They were albe to run with it and were very succeful. If you read an biography of the now-former head of GM you will see that he was respected for being a good cost cutter. Once the Bean Counters got in control they did cut costs, but they also cut individuality, design, development and just homogonized their brands into one pool of jelly.

I think it was telling that when GM hired Lutz, out of retirement from Chrysler, his comment about contemporary GM styling was "They all look like angry kitchen appliances".

Tony

H.Johnson said:
Yes, although it was covered (especially on albums) by a number of other 'acts'.

There was a programme (m) on radio in the UK last night that pointed out that due to excessive paternalism among US auto makers in 'the boom years' (healthcare plans, non-contribury pensions) and the subsequent decline in GM's workforce (of which the 'credit crunch' is just the steep tip) there are more dependents (pensioners and funded illnesses) than there are workers. And each one costs a very high percentage of what an employed worker earns for the company. So, labour costs are killing the company, even before material and other costs are taken into account!

I haven't checked these assertions...

I went and looked up the year and Artist and I lucked out, Ronny and the Daytonas from 64. Gotta win one once in a while!

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
15789214.jpg

Today's the day (Nov. 1, 2010) that Pontiac Drives Into The Sunset after 84 years of production.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bu..._Brand_Pontiac_Closes_Down_After_Eighty_Years

Bill Hoglund and Bob Lutz, former GM executives, blamed the decline of the brand on a mid-80s brand rethink. The overhaul saw several GM brands combine on manufacturing, design and other operations leading to what Bob Lutz called a "dilution" of the Pontiac performance image.

"There was no passion for the product,” said Hoglund. “The product had to fit what was going on in the corporate system.”

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
This Pontiac thread was originally initiated by PD [04-26-2009 09:41 PM] revisited by PD [11-01-2010 08:48 AM]
Foofoogal's on the same topic was started [10-31-2010 11:53 AM]
Seems some sort of merger is necessary to eliminate duplicity.

50Pontiac_dsf.jpg

Pontiac.Gto.Judge_1.jpg

1978_Trans-Am_bandit.jpg

Ed Bass

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have a vintage Pontiac in their garage, or a pic they're especially fond of from period?

Yes, I have a 1968 Firebird 400, 4 speed in the garage. Verdoro (dark metallic) green with black vinyl roof and black interior, all numbers match and it has the hood tach as well.

I've been a Pontiac fan for years and have owned 4 '66 GTO's, 2 '67 GTO's and a '67 Firebird 400, 4 speed.

Harley Earl must be spinning in his grave.

Best,
Toots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner