Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatee anyone?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
IMG_3788_zps56df573f.jpg

I liked this, my wife didn't (so it's gone now).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I understand that. However, I look at it more as a post-war poet/deserter/arty-rebel/proto-beatnik style or 1930s menacing-mystic look.

Metatron

One Too Many
This is a good one:

Luftwaffe jet pilot, 1944
(How did he get away with this look, I wonder?)

From Murderers among us a post war German 'rubble film':
I don't consider this stylish, but thought of it immediately when TT said 'menacing mystic'

A fortune teller (of course)

Last edited:
I take a week of vacation at the end of September every year. Every year, I go, "I'm growing a beard while I'm on vacation." Every year, I watch it grow in patchy, but a little less patchy than the year before, and every year, when I go back to work, it becomes (a still fairly poor) goatee.

I think it tends to slim my face a bit, though, which is nice with my big, round pumpkin-head.

I'll probably do the same thing every year, until I can grow a decent beard and/or moustache.

Dad suggests I color it, because it would look thicker with all the blonde and red hairs colored the same shade as my dark brown hair. He may be right, but it sounds like a lot of work.
This is a bad photo, but the only up-close one I have.
164494_10151439335174330_883268648_n.jpg

Someday, I hope to grow facial hair as triumphantly as my father.

404064_10151108070864330_1918244205_n.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
From Murderers among us a post war German 'rubble film':
I don't consider this stylish, but thought of it immediately when TT said 'menacing mystic'

A fortune teller (of course)

I suppose I was thinking of Niall mcGuinness as an evil magician in 'Night of the Demon':
night-of-the-demon.jpg

I could never trust a fortune teller without a goatee. I'd worry he was just a bald faced liar.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Annixter

Practically Family

MisterGrey

Practically Family
For the sake of being accurate with terminology, the above pictures are all modified Van Dykes, not goatees. Marc Chevalier pointed this out years ago in the thread, but a goatee is only on the chin.

As for me, I often have a traditional Van Dyke in the summer (like the last photo example with no connecting bars between mustache or goatee) and a full, trimmed beard in the winter.

To be further still accurate, they're not so much modified as they are in the tradition of the prototypical Van Dyke, named after Anthony van Dyck:

734px-Anthonyvandyckselfportrait.jpeg

The version in which the mustache connects to the goatee is more properly called a modified Van Dyke (I've also heard the much less imaginative "circle beard")

Annixter

Practically Family
To be further still accurate, they're not so much modified as they are in the tradition of the prototypical Van Dyke, named after Anthony van Dyck:

The first photo (of Fritz Kelb) I quoted is a modified Van Dyke with connections, though small, between the mustache and the goatee. I meant "modified" for the Fritz Kelb photo but neglected to change my wording after using different photos for reference, but if you reread my post, you'll clearly see that I make the distinction between a traditional and modified Van Dyke, but no matter.

Last edited:

hatguy1

One Too Many
Has the goatee gone by the wayside compared to 8 years ago? I say "no." I'm still proudly sporting mine.

Maybe this was the inspiration for mine. deniro goatee from the Deer Hunter 0.jpg

Last edited:

gear-guy

Practically Family
Not man enough to grow one. Some day I will grow up and be able to support facial hair. Well that being said I don't seem to be able to grow hair on my head either. Well this post sucks I also can't grow hair on my chest. Going back to the hat post, at least I have those!:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner