Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gone Country?

Russ

One of the Regulars
Here's a follow up to my Akubra Arena purchase. It only stayed in its untouched form for about 10 minutes! I took a quick photo on the veranda for a historical record. Unfortunately the one feature I don't yet understand on my camera is "auto" :) and the photo turned out very small!
arena_before.JPG

It was a nice big stiff western hat with gorgeous red liner.

Here it is after reblocking, brim trimming and ribbon change.

arena_after.JPG

I love this hat now. It was pretty cool as a cowboy hat, but it wasn't me, and was a bit much for metropolitan Tokyo.

L HATLEY

One of the Regulars
hat conversation

Russ the hat looks Great. I have a 10x resistol that i am serisouly
planning on turning into a Indy Jones Hat. the plus, is it is already dark brown.
Now where did i put that brown ribbon...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Canadian Western

Here's a picture of A Biltmore XXX Beaver that I picked-up on Ebay for under $40.00. Some of the hats out of Canada are very good quality.

1996075296_84ce00f489.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Carter, You really did well with that Biltmore. I hope the fit is every bit as good as the appearance!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
J.T.Marcus said:
Carter, You really did well with that Biltmore. I hope the fit is every bit as good as the appearance!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

J.T., I just stumbled across it and thought it looked a bit like a Boss of the Plains. Then I looked a bit closer and noted the bound brim and the ribbon treatment. Since it was my size (7 5/8) I decided to place a bid. Lo and behold, I won. Here's hoping it's a keeper. :)

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
My Two Bits

Love it! Boss of the Plains it is as far as I'm concerned. When it arrives, please post some pics. I'm waiting on a couple of hats from JW Hats, one of which is similar in black. Not 40 dollars.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for all your feedback. I think I will be waiting for my trip to Calgary to get one made up by Smithbilt. Thanks again. I will post when I get the hat.
Johnny

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
stumpyoutside.jpg

greyResistoloutside-1.jpg

gustanoutside.jpg

gusbrownoutside.jpg

I figured I might as well throw in a few photos from my hat collection. The big Gus is a late-70's Resistol with a 7-inch crown and 4-inch brim. The tan Gus is a late 70's Resistol with a 3.5-inch brim and a 5.5-inch crown. The grey Resistol is late 70's with a 6-inch crown and 4-inch brim. The Stumpy is an old Miller Brothers hat with a 6.75-inch crown and a 3-inch brim.
One of the things I've discovered is that dark brown hats eat sunlight. They absorb so much light that it's hard to see the details of various blocks. It makes me work harder at accentuating, emphasizing the brim shapes and curls, and making the creases tighter.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Thanks, guys. They're all thrift store finds. In my zeal to show off some of my hats, I forgot why I posted them in the first place, which was to demonstrate how easily a basic cattleman's-style western hat can be converted to a "Gus." These hats are all conversions.

CactusJax

Familiar Face
2045454605_e86ea31d81_m.jpg
I like custom. Living in Texas we have a large number of social functions with a Western Theme... It's a drag when you shop around, buy a nice hat and you see three more of them at the party... These are all 7x beaver made by a local custom hatter. He is really into the oldies. He has Stetson posters with all of their styles going back years. 2 of then were under $200 US. I can't remember about the top hat (or as my wife calls it my "been watching too much Deadwood hat")

You can't go wrong with an Open Road either. I call mine my Redneck Umbrella. Every Spring I purchase a new straw one too.

CactusJax

Familiar Face
Thanks Uncle Vern

Mike Helms @ Mikes Custom Hatters, Longview, Tx. I can get his number if you like. He used to be in a Western store. The couple that owned it retired. He stayed there and seems to have done well without the store...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy