Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Deeds: Done Any Lately?

I do appreciate the compliments. I think the key word is 'willing'. Going with first instincts in some situations. Never viewing this kind of act as a personal monetary loss..but simply offering a true miracle or blessing 'out of the blue' in the face of worry for someone at a loss. Can't save the world..but can offer some hope. Perhaps even to you.
HD

Classydame

One of the Regulars
HD, what kind and generous people you and your wife are! Bless you both!

I pulled up to pay for my order at In-n-Out's drive thru and found that the person ahead of me paid for my meal. I was floored!!! I then paid for the car behind me. Didn't even think about it, just wanted to pass the kindness forward. Acts of kindness, no matter what size, are always good things!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
This isn't save the world stuff, but I usually let other cars cut in front. I shouldn't do that as most of them never give the 'thank you' wave. Am I the only person who still gives the 'thank you' wave?! :/

Don't know if it would necessarily qualify as a good deed, but for Christmas I wanted to get my sister something really nice. It's been a hectic time for her, money's tight, and even tighter since she got married 3 days after Christmas.

I labored for a few days over what to get her and decided an autographed Waylon Jennings photo would be perfect (he's her favorite singer.)

Watching her open that gift was the highlight of my Christmas. She's not a very emotional person about gifts, and she just teared up, she was so grateful. It was just wonderful to see her so happy.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Don't know if it would necessarily qualify as a good deed, but for Christmas I wanted to get my sister something really nice. It's been a hectic time for her, money's tight, and even tighter since she got married 3 days after Christmas.

I labored for a few days over what to get her and decided an autographed Waylon Jennings photo would be perfect (he's her favorite singer.)

Watching her open that gift was the highlight of my Christmas. She's not a very emotional person about gifts, and she just teared up, she was so grateful. It was just wonderful to see her so happy.

Such a nice gesture- good when people put actual thought and energy into a gift!

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
New Years Eve I worked with the Sheriff's Office giving people free rides home. We were designated drivers for 71 people as well as providing extra security to the congested areas.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Myself and a work colleague whilst out and about on our rounds witnessed an old lady take a tumble as she was getting into her car, we were in the up in the Derbyshire Peak District and it was very icy.......we jumped out checked her over gathered up her possesions, then a neighbour came past who knew her we helped her back home and whilst chatting to the neighbour she came back out and got into her car to go where she was going in the first place...to open up " for the old peoples lunch" she was herself at least 80! and despite our protests and suggestions that she let us take her to the hospital or GP(Primary care physician) she said she had to do it as no one else could!!! old lady I salute you....we never got a thank you though:)

Justin B

One Too Many

Oddly enough, I went to church with Waylon's brother Wayne growing up. Sounded just like him too.

ortega76

Practically Family
Really love hearing stories that are positive!

Today, I was happy to give my neighbor, a single mom, a hand by carrying a busted headboard down to the dumpster for her.

Maimonides on giving

1.Giving an interest-free loan to a person in need; forming a partnership with a person in need; giving a grant to a person in need; finding a job for a person in need; so long as that loan, grant, partnership, or job results in the person no longer living by relying upon others.
2.Giving tzedakah anonymously to an unknown recipient via a person (or public fund) which is trustworthy, wise, and can perform acts of tzedakah with your money in a most impeccable fashion.
3.Giving tzedakah anonymously to a known recipient.
4.Giving tzedakah publicly to an unknown recipient.
5.Giving tzedakah before being asked.
6.Giving adequately after being asked.
7.Giving willingly, but inadequately.
8.Giving "in sadness" (giving out of pity): It is thought that Maimonides was referring to giving because of the sad feelings one might have in seeing people in need (as opposed to giving because it is a religious obligation). Other translations say "Giving unwillingly."

From wiki

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Still giving to a local church, to buy food for several families in the area each month.
Never met them, probably won't this side of Heaven.
As more funds become available, I'll increase the number of families per order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183