Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Night and Good Luck - Closed

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Either/or

Miss Neecerie said:
I am learning to knit myself...but I can teach you to crochet...will that work? :)

Would be far more productive and creative than pointless arguing.

I remember when I was a little kid. All the relatives would get together,....:beer: get a little looped, and start "talking" about politics and such with much the same results. :eusa_doh: Meanwhile, I would be building a model or making Creepy Crawlers,......WAY more fun!

I haven't changed that much at all I think (hope),......:fing28:

bfrench

Familiar Face
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Would be far more productive and creative than pointless arguing.

I remember when I was a little kid. All the relatives would get together,....:beer: get a little looped, and start "talking" about politics and such with much the same results. :eusa_doh: Meanwhile, I would be building a model or making Creepy Crawlers,......WAY more fun!

I haven't changed that much at all I think (hope),......:fing28:

Hi, Nick,

It still is way more fun building models or discussing the last flight you had.

It would seem that this thread - left to its own devices - has come to its inevitable end.

No reason to close it down - just let it run down.

Thanks,

Bill French

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah,..... let it run down,....

bfrench said:
Hi, Nick,

It still is way more fun building models or discussing the last flight you had.

It would seem that this thread - left to its own devices - has come to its inevitable end.

No reason to close it down - just let it run down.

Thanks,

Bill French

.......or just plain HIJACK it! lol

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I was enjoying myself.

I always enjoy hearing the other's view point. It's when other's back themselves into a corner and want to stiffle the opposition that I find repulsive.:cool: And by the way, there's only one fool on my ignore list so whatever he has to say I don't see it anyway. I'm going to take a breather to the Laughing Place and come back. And if this thread is hijacked to Cuba while I'm gone, bring back a '58 Buick Roadmaster or Chrysler 300 (any year).

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Shame on you Harry Lime!

Harry Lime said:
A precisely correct observation. The FL unwritten and unspoken rule; let 'em know you're fighting on the side of the Republicans and Jesus and the rope is pretty long. All others watch your step.

A right-winger can hurl epithets and slander at will at "jews and lib-tards." But dare venture to call an extremist who pronounces McCarthy a "hero" "an idiot" and judgement day is-a-comin'.

Little did I know that liking hats and vintage movies and clothing also meant that I must also accept blindly:

1) The Conservative Platform.
2) The Evangelical Interpretation of Jesus
3) The Superior Patriotism and Gentlemanliness of those who subscribe to the first two (despite whatever their words or actions may indicate)

Harry Lime

Does anyone remember Biltmore Bob? Are you calling him a liberal too? Or is the truth that we are dealing with all blow-hards.....regardless of political affiliation?

Liberals whine that we are biased and conservatives gripe that we let the lefties control the show. We are taking flack from both sides and getting little thanks for our efforts.

I wrote more but have decided to make a new announcement .

Harry Lime

Suspended
Shame on you right back.

I don't need another Morally Conservative Dictator telling me what to say or do. You should have banned Biltmore Bob; he was a hate monger. I'm sure his little Hillbilly-Gestapo Mates miss him greatly but he was a jackass.

I don't need you threatening me and I don't want to be in a club that has the likes of Lincsong as a member. So I'll save you the trouble of tossing me; I quit.

I'll miss the good guys, the smart guys; feraud, nightandthecity, Kat in Hat, Sefton, Andykev, Shamus et all. But I don't want to be a part of anything that promotes and defends the sickening ideology of Lincsong and the rest of his Brown Shirts.

Like I said, I like hats and vintage movies and clothing. But life's too short to spend with jerks and the FL is becoming a fly paper strip for the right wing.

Later taters. Shamus, you know where to find me.

Harry Lime

The fact that the suppression of tyranny was the theme of Good Night and Good Luck and the disagreements regarding it are an irony not lost on me. A powerful conservative wants to shut down the "whining, rabble-roousing left." And this POV is not appreciated on the FL. It's a "thinly veiled jab at the Bush administration." So discuss it, but watch what you say against the pro-McCarthyites or "heads will roll." Oh brother. This "compassionate conservatism" works in strange ways, doesn't it. Lincsong, Dusty...you guys would've had the time of your life at the Nuremburg Rally.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
MK said:
Bad analogy Harry. The United States of America is a Democracy. I own The Fedora Lounge. Big difference.

You're in my place....and you are no longer welcome here.

"I don't need"....you. Good bye.

Actually we used to be a Representative Republic but that's been torn to shreds by folks on both sides of the aisle. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
DR

bfrench

Familiar Face
Dusty Rhodes said:
Actually we used to be a Representative Republic but that's been torn to shreds by folks on both sides of the aisle. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
DR

Hi, Folken,

I used to lurk in the jacket forum and today was my first and only foray into this pit of pathetic paranoia of the so called politically correct right wing.

The really sad part is you don't understand how pathetic you really are.

Learn compassion for your fellow man before you destroy each other.

Bill French

Bebop

Practically Family
wow!

Harry Lime, don't you realize that you are just as bad as the so called "brown shirts" you complained about? If you can't accept that there may be some places with a majority of opinion other than yours, don't visit those places. No one has to cater to your beliefs. This is privately owned and the owner may want to push his beliefs (not that I have noticed MK pushing anything). Start your own Liberal Lounge and do it the way you think it should be done. Let's see how you do handling the right wing point of views there. Just to let you know where this is coming from, I am not a conservative and I am not a liberal. To put it simply, maybe too simply, I am one of those that believes in gay rights AND gun rights.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Jeez I go away for a few hours and the whole place goes to crap. Well looks like you were right Andy. I gave folks allot more credit I guess. Well where do I start. I've read racist stuff here and anti Semitic crap here and for some reason it seems to be OK to hate others for the reason true heros like my father put on uniforms the day after Pearl Harbor to fight against the same stuff that seems to be OK to post here. I joined the Corps to go to Nam but missed it by that much. I proudly served and would again but not to support ideas that I see posted here on a regular basis. Dusty you were a Naval officer I hoped better of you. Well I'm out too because I'll be damned if I'll be bitch slapped by some folks that don't rate it. Have you ever thought of how many Jews or people of color post here? McCarthyism and racism is alive and well here at the ole Fedora or maybe the name should be changed to the white hood lounge. I'm sure you'll be glad to see me go.:cheers1: :cheers1: The main difference is I enjoy a good civil conversation about real topics.
But there are some that when they can't articulate revert to the name game and for some reason seem to be well tolerated by the staff here.
Harry wasn't 86'd SJ he quit just like I've done....AHHH Jim Crow is alive and well here but hey I'm just a libtard.....Be careful in the future a Sen. doesn't go after the far right the way McCarthy did because ya never know the words posted her could land you without a job or in jail...

WEEGEE

Practically Family
NICELY PUT

O.P.- Bebop--
Harry Lime, don't you realize that you are just as bad as the so called "brown shirts" you complained about? If you can't accept that there may be some places with a majority of opinion other than yours, don't visit those places. No one has to cater to your beliefs. This is privately owned and the owner may want to push his beliefs (not that I have noticed MK pushing anything). Start your own Liberal Lounge and do it the way you think it should be done. Let's see how you do handling the right wing point of views there. Just to let you know where this is coming from, I am not a conservative and I am not a liberal. To put it simply, maybe too simply, I am one of those that believes in gay rights AND gun rights.

I think that something is in the air...the economy? the war? don't know?

If i am political on this form it is just because i was not clear in trying to be

metaphysical or i drank to much gin.

I think that the Lounge is a great resource for the history of vintage attire

with most being the utmost of helpful and polite.

Other then a "small" jab now and then i really don't get the politics at all.

THIS IS A GREAT PLACE

Thank you MK,

WeeGee

Section10

One of the Regulars
????

What foolishness! So many people claim to be so intolerant of intolerance, yet after such displays of intolerance they never seem to be intolerant of themselves. Go figure.
What do they think this place is? No one needs to behave acceptably, but if they don't, I fail to see the gripe if they're not accepted. If you want respect be respectable. Why is that so hard?

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Wow!

Coming to some of these threads is almost like passing an accident. I don't want to look, but somehow....

I'm constantly amazed by the high level of passion and emotion that some people carry to some of these threads. Have they been personally injured, damaged, or hurt by something that they can't get over? The anger, nay rage, that seems to surface is disturbing. What are they like in real life? I honestly cannot relate. I have beliefs and values and opinions, but I mostly keep them to myself. They're mine, and I don't need to share them, much less espouse them vehemently and vociferously, on a forum.

I really need to stay out of the observation bar, sheesh..... I come here to relax and enjoy myself for a few minutes.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I hear ya,....

boomerchop said:
Coming to some of these threads is almost like passing an accident. I don't want to look, but somehow....

I'm constantly amazed by the high level of passion and emotion that some people carry to some of these threads. Have they been personally injured, damaged, or hurt by something that they can't get over? The anger, nay rage, that seems to surface is disturbing. What are they like in real life? I honestly cannot relate. I have beliefs and values and opinions, but I mostly keep them to myself. They're mine, and I don't need to share them, much less espouse them vehemently and vociferously, on a forum.

I really need to stay out of the observation bar, sheesh..... I come here to relax and enjoy myself for a few minutes.

...but I feel it's quite alright to hang out in the observation bar, just as long as one doesn't get drunk on one's own ego! :beer: :p

If you go back and read through any thread, you'll find the members who are extreme right and left just aren't very good debaters. I too would like to see this place run as a gentlemen's (yes, and ladies - no hate-mail please) club, and that means talking not about politics and faith but about ideas and concepts. It means being able to offer your own beliefs and not spout party or sect rhetoric. It means being able to accept that you may just learn something from people you know in your heart are wrong.

I thought the 'Is it okay to not like some people' thread proved that the place can be run like that, and now going back through the posts I see that the only two extremists that contributed to that thread were Straight Razor and Harry Lime- both suspended. Do I think there are others that should be suspended? Certainly, if they're not going to stop with the racial slurs and name-calling. But the truth is I'd rather have them stick around to learn how to debate like gentlemen.

Regards,

Senator Jack

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

airfrogusmc said:
I've read racist stuff here and anti Semitic crap here and for some reason it seems to be OK to hate others for the reason true heros like my father put on uniforms the day after Pearl Harbor to fight against the same stuff that seems to be OK to post here. ........Well I'm out too because I'll be damned if I'll be bitch slapped by some folks that don't rate it. Have you ever thought of how many Jews or people of color post here? McCarthyism and racism is alive and well here at the ole Fedora or maybe the name should be changed to the white hood lounge.

But there are some that when they can't articulate revert to the name game and for some reason seem to be well tolerated by the staff here.

Go if you must, but that would be unfortunate. You are one of the most civil guys on the Left and I respect you for it.

We have defended you and others here on the Left to have your opinions. We were called all kinds of names by those on the Right. We have taken a lot of abuse from those on the Left too.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
A few points

Don't confuse our allowing members to have their opinions and NOT allowing the "thought police" to brow beat them into silence..... as an endorsement by the Bartenders and I of those ideas and opinions. Isn't that simular to what your beloved ACLU does? They defend NAMBLA! We defend you to have an opinion. You might consider that. You wouldn't want to be a hipocrite.

What you guys don't get is that it's not a political stance one side or another. We will defend members to have opinions on issues. What we won't tolerate is members insulting and disrespecting fellow members.

Do all the name calling you guys want. You can scream unfair to high heaven. I will say that you guys have no idea what actions are being done quitly under the radar to keep the peace. You have no idea how many PMs are sent in private regarding situations. Regardless of what anyone says, we will stand on principle.....if we agree with the person or not.

Door is open. Any other blow hards want to take their toys and go home are welcomed to hit the road. We will happily refund your money......

.....oh....I forgot.....you have been here for free......actually not for free. A few gracious individuals and myself have been paying the bill for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy