Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good strong everyday bag?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I guess that depends on what one considers worth seeing. I don't travel here or overseas since travel doesn't do it for me.
Bizarre. I love traveling, domestically and internationally every chance I get. Love it...would probably own a few more jackets and watches by now if I didn't keep hitting the highways or airports...it ain't cheap.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I guess that depends on what one considers worth seeing. I don't travel here or overseas since travel doesn't do it for me.

Australia is a bit like America. There's probably LOADS OF THINGS to see. But they're MILES AND MILES AND MILES apart. And that's a huge turnoff to most people.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Australia is a bit like America. There's probably LOADS OF THINGS to see. But they're MILES AND MILES AND MILES apart. And that's a huge turnoff to most people.

Actually, there are many things that I did like about Australia and would like to go there specifically to enjoy that country rather than passing through for a couple of days. There are some similarities to the USA, but we almost needed an interpreter. Lift (elevator) and left (direction) sound the same there which caused a comic scene for my poor wife in a hotel one evening. That exchange would outdo Abbott and Costello any day.

Where in the USA can you get a meal like the one at the Raw Prawn in Cairns? Such exotic dishes as crocodile, emu and kangaroo on one plate. Camel was there then, but was replaced by barramundi.(an improvement to my thinking) They were all good. Then there was the seafood platter which we enjoyed even more.

If not for the long flights and outrageous cost of airfare, I would go again and spend a few weeks.

But I will leave my Push Pack at home - gives the security guys a bit of heartburn with that special compartment...

Fed

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I ended up with a custom Timbuktu bag for everyday use.
They are amazing. I have a medium messenger and I can fit more than I would want to carry.

Thanks for the mention of the TimBuk2 reference. They have some good cycling panniers which are convertible carry bags as well. As a tadpole trike rider, this could be quite convenient.

20130524_192908_zpsc0cfd79f.jpg

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Bizarre. I love traveling, domestically and internationally every chance I get. Love it...would probably own a few more jackets and watches by now if I didn't keep hitting the highways or airports...it ain't cheap.

I have to agree with Bunyip. I may find aspects of travel to be a bit inconvenient, but I do enjoy the different locations. Scenery, food, architecture and people are all interesting to me as is the whole adventure of the experience. How can one sit at home when Barrier Reef, Palau, New Zealand, Guam, Saipan, Utah and Arizona are all available for experiencing. I do anything from hiking in the mountains or deserts to diving with sharks or sea turtles. Life to my thinking is not about reruns, but rather a wide range of opportunities.

Yes, it truly ain't cheap. On the other hand, I have done much of it on somebody else's dime. Had to find work to fuel my travel interests.

Fed

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree with Bunyip. I may find aspects of travel to be a bit inconvenient, but I do enjoy the different locations. Scenery, food, architecture and people are all interesting to me as is the whole adventure of the experience. How can one sit at home when Barrier Reef, Palau, New Zealand, Guam, Saipan, Utah and Arizona are all available for experiencing. I do anything from hiking in the mountains or deserts to diving with sharks or sea turtles. Life to my thinking is not about reruns, but rather a wide range of opportunities.

Yes, it truly ain't cheap. On the other hand, I have done much of it on somebody else's dime. Had to find work to fuel my travel interests.

Fed
Yes, well your view is the more common one. I'm indifferent to all you describe. Glad you're enjoying it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
TBH I think travelling is entirely down to personality like most things, you either love it or you don't.

I've been lucky enough to travel through Europe, Asia, the Americas and the Pacific and to have lived twice in Europe and also South America, and we are moving back to Europe late this year. I have incredibly itchy feet and love the whole experience of going somewhere new: sights; sounds; smells; etc, be it on holiday or moving.

Bag-wise to the thread's original question, I happened to pick up a French Connection heavy-duty canvas shoulder bag at an after Christmas sale here about 5 years ago which is very, very similar to a Belstaff 554 (the bag made famous in the movie "I Am Legend") which has turned out to be brilliant. I've used it pretty much daily for those 5 years and it's bulletproof. No idea whether they still do them but a similar bag might be worth considering.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
About fifteen years ago my wife gave me a Coach messenger bag, and I've used nothing else since. It's nice black cowhide with pockets for everything. As I teach for a living and daily carry an assortment of books, markers, pens, as well as personal items, I'd be lost without it. I've seen a few on the bay for pretty reasonable prices.

DC3

New in Town
I have many different type of bags, which my wife like to rib me about. Yet from the full sized duffel from the Air Force to the simple canvas messenger bag, each has or had it use when I needed it. Today, and for some time, my two favorites come from the more tactical side of things. I don't go on special ops or do survival training anymore, yet from a functional point of view they have been proven to be adaptable and tough.
I am also a photographer that is rarely without an SLR so when I was looking for an everyday bag I looked at UTG and the more expensive Maxpeditiion series of large everyday bags. They come in various colors, have a lot of pockets and are expandable. I can wear it over my head like a sling bag and have quick access to any of the pockets.
The other bag is a Condor three day pack. It has shoulder straps, a removable waist belt and a side carry handle. I have packed this full for long weekends, or cinched it down for day trips and local photo hikes. I like that I still have my hands free and that there is a pouch for my Camelback bladder.
I inspect and maintain my bags like all my equipment so small fixes don't cause me to rant about quality. We treat our stuff harshly sometimes don't we.
Whatever your choice turns out to be, get the best you can afford.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My dad has like four or five bags. he chops and changes between them according to what's happening. As a result, a simple request of: "Son, could you get my 'phone?" could turn into an oddessy lasting several minutes. Since I never have any idea where his phone is, or which bag it's in.

Edward

Bartender
Easy answer to that: ring it. 50% of why I have a landline is to find the mobile (the other 50% is for internet. Hate actually using it as a phone...).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80