Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Vintage In Austin

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Goodmorning ladies.. I have a question for you. Actually a couple of questions...
I've noticed several lovely ladies in the Powder Room are from various parts of Texas and I need some advice.

I'll be moving to Austin in March and I'm looking for good places to thrift, vintage shop and of course dance! I've found a few places in my limited travels to the area. I know there are a handful of vintage shops on south lamar including a newly opened branch of Room Service, and i've been to Atomic City, but I'm wondering what else is there.

I'm also interested in good places to visit in the city in General that a vintage lovin' gal might enjoy.

Any help you ladies can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks! DimeADanceQueen

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
It's been a few years since I've been to Austin,but it's fabulous for vintage shopping.Some of the other ladies may be able to give you more specific ideas,but I can tell you a good place to start.
Pick up the phone book and start calling a few shops for "The Map".The map is a list of vintage shops in the area with phone # and directions.Just mark the hits and misses on the map as you go.

For nightlife,I have no idea.I know of one jump blues band(not sure if they're still there)and a psychobilly band that you could keep an eye out for.
Nick Curran and The Nightlifes
The Flametrick Subs

Hope that gives you a bit to start with.Good luck with your move!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
There is a Room Service and a store across the street called Hog Wild on E North Loop Blvd. Hog Wild has a lot of great furniture and some clothing. There are quite a few places on S. Congress street also.

Your best bet is to open Yahoo Yellowpages or Google Maps and search for "Vintage" in Austin, TX.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Hog wild is good, but most of the vintage in South Congress has been replaced by "Trendy" shops.

The vintage in Austin is kind of spread out too.

If you can wait until you get there, the first vintage store you walk into should have a little, folded brochure at the door by all the club flyers and free magazines and will be called something like "A Guide to Vintage Shopping in Austin". It has a map, addresses and a short description of what each store specializes in (This is what ruby was talking about too). :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
Hog wild is good, but most of the vintage in South Congress has been replaced by "Trendy" shops.

Yeah, it's mostly trendy shops but there are some nice antique shops and also a costume shop that has a wonderful vintage selection. Everything in the shop has a rental price and a purchase price, and I bought several nice vintage items there at excellent prices when I was visiting over the summer.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
There used to be this really awesome vintage western store on South Congress too, I spent many a Peso there my friends. I've tried many times to just find out if it moved or something, with no luck. :(

I hate gentrification.:mad:

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Thank you!

Thank you all so much! I'll look for the MAP when I go out in November and start poking around in earnest.
The Flametrick Subs are still around, I like them, I've seen them a few times, both in Austin and in New Mexico. I'll look for the Jump Blues Band.

timorous me

Familiar Face
Oooh, I'm gonna be in Austin in a couple of weeks... (Austin City Limits festival!!!) so I'll have to keep these hints in mind!

(And wouldn't mind a few more recommendations, if anyone has them...?)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
timorous me said:
Oooh, I'm gonna be in Austin in a couple of weeks... (Austin City Limits festival!!!) so I'll have to keep these hints in mind!

(And wouldn't mind a few more recommendations, if anyone has them...?)
Take loads of water, something to sit on and a hat that will provide some shade!

I've had a great time at ACL, but I am really claustrophobic, so I have decide to skip this years. Have a great time!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats