Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GORGEOUS 7 5/8 topper: Want to TRADE for SMALLER high-end topper

Bespoken4

New in Town
Greetings! I have an unusual hat situation, as it is almost always in reverse of what I'm seeking. I'm pretty large of head (7 1/2), but I've actually come to the sad realization that my beloved, all-time favorite (I'm a fairly serious collector) solid (non-collapsible) top hat is just TOO BIG for me! A situation I RARELY encounter. So...I thought I'd cast the net upon the waters to see if anyone has a comparable 7 1/2 topper to swap.

WHAT YOU'D GET: A really exquisite SCOTT & CO. ("Expressly Made for Saks Fifth Avenue") silk plush with ivory silk lining and a fairly fresh, pliable leather sweatband (that shows zero separation). Exterior, as close to perfect as they get. If I were to "stretch", I'd point out that there is very minor wear around the top rim--but very minimal indeed. Inside, the silk shows some watermarking, but no tears or holes. The interior measures 23 7/8", just a shade under 24". The bell rises to 6" and has a nice, understated flare to it as it rises to the top. Judging from the "Saks 5th Avenue" reference, it would have to be post-1924...though I'm guessing from the font that it was right around that time, early-mid 1920's...

WHAT I WANT: It'd have to be very high-end American or British, pre-1940, excellent condition. Knox, Lincoln-Bennett, Collins & Fairbanks, Stetson--those are all brands I especially like though I'd be open-minded to something really swell. I'd consider other countries than U.S./UK, too...though I almost NEVER see large ones from other countries, for some reason. My head measures exactly 23 1/2".

Honest Injun: This is one of the finest top hats I've ever owned/handled, so I'd only do a trade for something comparable and mint. I can provide more details/photos to any serious offerers. I thought this might be a more satisfying way of making two guys find the right fit! SO....if you're a 7 5/8 and your hat's pinching, here you go! Thanks, guys! Feel free to IM me...and please don't be offended if I pass. I'm really specific in what I'm hoping to find...and if I don't find it, I'll keep on putting felt pads under the sweatband!

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 110
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Bespoken4

New in Town
Thanks, Luv...it sure is. The irony is that I've spent my life, stymied by the number of hats that are too small for me. RARELY have I found one that is too big...yet this one sure is! I wore it to an event and realized halfway through that it was sliding over my ears! Though adding some padding under the band has made it wearable (for me). I had to put it back in the box so I wouldn't look at it...I'm getting that "talking myself out of it" dialogue...know that one? Where you've made up your mind to get rid of something...yet it never quite makes it to the post office! I'm a frequent sufferer of this malady, I'm afraid...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner