Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GORGEOUS Full-length Loden Hunting Coat by Schneider of Austria--wool and alpaca! c. 38- 40.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
GORGEOUS Loden Hunting Coat!

In Tyrolean wool and alpaca!

From Schneider's of Salzburg, Austria!
This is a wonderfully beautiful and luxurious loden, made by Schneiders of Austria--THE makers of Loden coats--from loden cloth that's a blend of Tyrolean wool and alpaca.

Loden cloth originated in the Austrian Tyrol, where it quickly became a favourite with hunters, shepherds, and others who spent a lot of time outdoors, owing to its water-resistant properties and the high degree of warmth that it gives relative to its weight. The fabric is produced from the coarse wool of Alpine mountain sheep which has a natural short pile; this is woven into a loose cloth which is then repeated dunked in cold mountain water, dried, teased, then dunked again to shrink it and produce a lovely tight, warm, yet lightweight cloth that's extremely durable, supple, and windproof.

Alpaca, taken from the South American camelid the alpaca (obviously!) is a soft, durable, silky fibre that's extremely warm and durable. In Incan times it was reserved for royalty, and used to make "The Cloth of the Gods". The blend of loden and alpaca yields a stunningly soft, durable, luxurious cloth with a wonderful hand and drape--cloth that's worthy of a loden coat from Schneider of Austria..

The coat itself lives up to its cloth. Utterly traditional this is a full-length classic loden coat. It fastens with oversized buttons that are then concealed by a fly front for an elegant silhouette; that the fly front imparts additional warmth is an added bonus! The coat has two deep handwarmer pockets, and two ornamental chevron straps on the cuffs; these are secured with functional buttonholes and buttons that match those on the front. The coat has the traditional Austrian collar, which can be secured upwards against wind with a functional throat latch; the collar also features a leather-trimmed buttonhole and is also backed in leather, both for visual interest when worn up and longevity. The same leather also appears at the cuffs, where it has been added to protect them from wear. This coat was built to last!

The coat features the traditional almost full-length pleat at the back for ease of movement. It also features raglan sleeves for ease of movement; the sleeves features lapped seams down their full length.The coat is fully lined, and features a zippered interior security pocket.

This was, of course, Made in Austria!

This coat is in absolutely excellent condition--it might have never been worn. Given that the original cost of this coat would have been well into four figures--O'Connell's carries a version of this coat at $1,200--it's a bargain at just $145, OR OFFER, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA. International inquiries are very welcome, with reduced cost shipping available!

Tagged US 38. Measurements:

Chest: 23
Sleeve; c. 36, measured like a shirt.
Shoulder: NA--raglan sleeves
Length: 47

I was about to post a note saying that the Loden I bought from TweedyDon is my fave coat, a real stunner and this one here looks as nice if not nicer. But not needed as before I could post it sold. The buyer just bought himself a wonderful garment that will get lots of compliments. That leather trim on the cuff is a nice touch. If the buyer is as old as me he may have bought a garment that he can pass on to the next generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24