Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got an old Harley Road Captain's Hat. Wondering how to shape the visor without cracking it.

jakedaniel

New in Town
First post on here. I've browsed this forum before but never had a question I needed to ask till now. I got my hands on an old Harley Captain's Hat and it's in pretty good shape for being 50-60 years old. I want to clean it up and wear it but one problem I've got is that the hats been sitting flat on a shelf forever it looks like. The patent leather visor is pretty much flat. At least it looks like patent leather to me, it's green on the underside. Anyway, is there any way to shape this visor? I don't want to try just bending it into shape because I'm afraid it'll crack. Do I use steam to shape it like a felt hat? Anyone got any suggestions? Also, it's got a lot of grime and dirt on the harley patch in front, it's almost black in the center of it. Any suggestions for cleaning it? It's a black cotton cap with a sewn on patch and a black patent leather visor. Any suggestions are appreciated and if you need more pics just let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 417

jakedaniel

New in Town
First post on here. I've browsed this forum before but never had a question I needed to ask till now. I got my hands on an old Harley Captain's Hat and it's in pretty good shape for being 50-60 years old. I want to clean it up and wear it but one problem I've got is that the hats been sitting flat on a shelf forever it looks like. The patent leather visor is pretty much flat. At least it looks like patent leather to me, it's green on the underside. Anyway, is there any way to shape this visor? I don't want to try just bending it into shape because I'm afraid it'll crack. Do I use steam to shape it like a felt hat? Anyone got any suggestions? Also, it's got a lot of grime and dirt on the harley patch in front, it's almost black in the center of it. Any suggestions for cleaning it? It's a black cotton cap with a sewn on patch and a black patent leather visor. Any suggestions are appreciated and if you need more pics just let me know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 317

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Look this product up online to buy a bottle. "dyo Spot Remover" it is a 4 ounce bottle. It will clean everything on that hat. You do not rub or brush using this. Dab it on and with another clean white rag, start "blotting" where you have applied the cleaner. Don't rush it. It took time for the grime to get into the hat, it will take time to clean it back out.

The brim question, after you get the hat super cleaned up, then stem the brim and again be gentle and don't rush it. If you spend too much time with steam on the brim you may cause the outer smooth shiny part to bubble up and pop off.

jakedaniel

New in Town
Look this product up online to buy a bottle. "dyo Spot Remover" it is a 4 ounce bottle. It will clean everything on that hat. You do not rub or brush using this. Dab it on and with another clean white rag, start "blotting" where you have applied the cleaner. Don't rush it. It took time for the grime to get into the hat, it will take time to clean it back out.

The brim question, after you get the hat super cleaned up, then stem the brim and again be gentle and don't rush it. If you spend too much time with steam on the brim you may cause the outer smooth shiny part to bubble up and pop off.
So steam for the brim but not too much? I'll be really careful with it. I'll look that spot removed stuff up online as well. Thanks for the advice, anyone else got any other suggestions?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
So steam for the brim but not too much? I'll be really careful with it. I'll look that spot removed stuff up online as well. Thanks for the advice, anyone else got any other suggestions?
As this is an older cap, be gentle with it while cleaning. I would avoid using any sort of brush or scrubbing on the hat. Material may rip on you if not careful. Oh yes....warmed up White Vinegar mixed with water, is also a good cleaning agent for vintage clothing and hats like this one.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
You never steam leather. The best thing to do, if it is indeed leather, is to make or find something with the right curve & keep the peak/visor pressed over the curve for a certain time & it should adopt the new shape. If it's possible to really wet the peak & then dry it slowly in the shape you wish, it would save a lot of time but if it's varnished, I doubt it would work.
As for cleaning the Harley logo/patch I would just brush it with some warm soapy water & a nail or tooth brush, the hat is in good nick & looks like it can take it but looking at your photo, the embroidered thread seems to have faded or changed color for some reason & so it may not clean up as you're hoping.

Last edited:

jakedaniel

New in Town
You never steam leather. The best thing to do, if it is indeed leather, is to make or find something with the right curve & keep the peak/visor pressed over the curve for a certain time & it should adopt the new shape. If it's possible to really wet the peak & then dry it slowly in the shape you wish, it would save a lot of time but if it's varnished, I doubt it would work.
As for cleaning the Harley logo/patch I would just brush it with some warm soapy water & a nail or tooth brush, the hat is in good nick & looks like it can take it but looking at your photo, the embroidered thread seems to have faded or changed color for some reason & so it may not clean up as you're hoping.
I'm not looking for perfection. I'm just hoping I can get the worst of the dirt/grease off of the patch. I ride every day and plan to wear the hat on the bike around town so although I plan on being careful with it I also plan to use it a lot so I'm sure it'll get a little dirty again over time. I don't know whether the brim is plastic or patent leather. I know it's stiff and still has a slight curl to it but not much. It's a 7 3/4 and I wear between a 7 5/8 and 7 3/4 so I'm hoping just wearing it will help get it back in shape. It's got the stiffener in it to keep the front up and it's also got a band of balsa wood underneath the sweatband which I'm guessing was to help the hat keep it's shape on the shelf? Or am I supposed to wear the hat with that wooden band underneath the sweatband?

jakedaniel

New in Town
Looking closer that strip of wood underneath the leather sweatband is definitely there for keeps. It's there to keep the hat stiff around the band area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 248

jakedaniel

New in Town
Looking at that last pic I posted you can see the liner has a few tears. Is there a way to patch those? I'd think stitching would just rip out again.
Looking closer that strip of wood underneath the leather sweatband is definitely there for keeps. It's there to keep the hat stiff around the band area.
last

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
The hat brim is a slice of thick cardboard covered with patent leather. We've had one or two of these come and go. Lightly steaming to bend and or unbend to shape the "bill" brim worked fine. Just cannot over kill with steam, as it will "pop" the patent leather up from where it was pressed onto the cardboard to begin with as it was pressure glued on with steam in a press machine.

The hat being older material may not like being brushed. I have seen (and had a few pair here) new socks never worn...from the 1950's just fall apart from one wash. Material can and will "rot" with age. It does not happen to everything vintage but it can. The dyo spot remover has worked on almost every single item, hats, fedora, straw, silk, white dress shirts, wool sports jackets, and motorcycle hat/caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24