Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Government Girls

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Excellent article! I do Living History presentations and this will certainly be some great new material for an overlooked aspect of the era!
Thanks for the link!
M

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Excellent article! I do Living History presentations and this will certainly be some great new material for an overlooked aspect of the era!
Thanks for the link!
M

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Really enjoyed the article. I lived and worked in DC and spoke to several "government girls". What an exciting, exhilarating time to be in DC. It was really much more of a small, southern town than we can even imagine today. I know a woman who worked in DC for the WRAF encoding/translating and she mentioned that it got so hot in pre-A/C DC that they would sometimes lock the door and work stripped down to their unmentionables! They really did do their part to win the war!

Mary

John N

New in Town
Nice article AG. My Mom was one of the G-Girls in DC. She lived near the zoo and could hear the lions roar at night. She is also from Nebraska, a small town in central Nebraska called Ansley. Mom is still with us (as is my Dad who was stationed at the Marine Corp barracks after he came back from Guadalcanal). They met there at the Lincoln Memorial and got married (lucky for me).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Nice article AG. My Mom was one of the G-Girls in DC. She lived near the zoo and could hear the lions roar at night. She is also from Nebraska, a small town in central Nebraska called Ansley. Mom is still with us (as is my Dad who was stationed at the Marine Corp barracks after he came back from Guadalcanal). They met there at the Lincoln Memorial and got married (lucky for me).

Awesome, John! Thanks for sharing! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw