Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Gatsby inspired suit

madmum65

New in Town
Hi there,
My daughter is getting married next May and is having a 20's style wedding.
Her fiance is looking for a 20's style suit similar to those worn in the recent Gatsby movie.
We are based in the UK but everything over here is ridiculously expensive!
We have seen various online retailers who offer replica suits but are cautious about the quality and the reliability of such websites - especially when there are so many scammers out there!
We came across one today called celebsclothing.com offering a Gatsby replica linen suit for $199 - seems too good to be true?
Any advice guys?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
seems too good to be true?
Any advice guys?
Yes. I am sorry but I believe it doesn't work this way. The suits will be made in asia and very cheap quality. They don't even have pictures from their actual suits on the page. Just some celebrities wearing the "style" which means practically nothing. This screams scam to me. If they have a return policy you could try but be prepared to send it back (shipping costs!) or have an local tailor make many many alterations on it. Both will add to the costs

The only way to get an affordable suit in this price range is buying second hand but I am aware that many grooms don't want this. They want something special, right? Sometimes you can find unused clothes on ebay too but it needs some luck and some time to search for them.

madmum65

New in Town
Thanks Flat Foot Floey.
I've seen Magnoli clothiers mentioned on here. Does anyone have experience using them?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just looked at their website. Wouldn't touch it. Where is the bride getting her dress? And the bridesmaids? Hopefully, they will get beyond the pseudo flapper shimmy fringes and find some of the more elegant 20s dresses available these days.

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Hmm, well next May does give some time. I would keep an eye out for a vintage piece if the sizes these suits are most found in works for him. I just shipped a suit to the UK (I'm in Colorado) and it can be done easily. Have a tailor touch it up a bit if needed. Just found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-192...pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item51b44e9145

Not sure that suit is really from the 1920s or more from the 1930s, but vintage suits can be found, depending on size (that one being rather small). If I were him, I'd try to go vintage. If not, 6 months does still give you some time.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
What about the Brooks brothers 'Great Gatsby' collection http://www.brooksbrothers.com/The-Great-Gatsby-Collection/gatsby,default,sc.html
Not cheap, but maybe they will come up on sale at some point.

If it is a twenties style wedding, and finding the right suit proves difficult, the groom could opt for a traditional morning suit and see if he can get an original one from the 1920s. They often turn up on ebay or you could try http://www.savvyrow.co.uk/collections/morningwear they often have originals from the 1920s.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for but it is an option if everything else fails.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't but there are some reviews on the fedora lounge. Try to google them. It works better than the search function on this site.
Magnoli won't be perfect but better than the company in the first link. I heard the trousers don't have a high rise (compared to vintage) and there are some other details but I guess this would be less important to the groom then to some of us here. Same with the materials used. If they offer options try to go without polyester blends and go for linen instead.
If you are open for ebay buy want new clothes maybe you can find something from Ralph Lauren? Some of their suits and sportcoats have jazz age features. Sometimes you can get a good deal.
Good luck :)

Last edited:

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Keep in mind guys that our suits are all made-to-order, so if you provide accurate measurements for a high-waist, that's what you'll receive. Also, we have plenty of pure linen and wool options as opposed to the blends, so almost anything is possible...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You can get a period, made to measure suit, from Rob Crossley, in South Kensington, London SW7. He makes suits and trousers for lots of band members who play vintage style music, and who want to look the part. A suit, in pure wool, will cost about £500, plus about £125 for a waiscoat. If you are interested click here to see his website. He trades as: Rocacha.

You may not see 1920's, Great Gatsby, styled suits, but if you send him an e-mail, and a picture of the style you want, plus the colour, he will send you a number of swatches for you to choose from.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails