Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greetings

HATCO

Vendor
Colby Jack said:
I was just wondering what position you hold with the company. I read through your posts so far, and you really don't say. The makers/sellers of quality hats on this site are very above board with who and what they are.
While it would be wonderful to have an insider at Hatco, that could listen to our wants and needs, I would just hate to see someone take advantage of the great people here at the FL.
If I missed it or it was mentioned elsewhere, I'm sorry for asking this question.
I hope no one takes this in a wrong way.
Colby Jack

My name is Matthew Range and I am the Marketing Coordinator for HATCO. In no way am I trying to take advantage of anyone. As I said before I will do my best to bring our knowledge to answer questions about our hats and sometimes hats in general. I can not guarantee 100% all encompassing correct answers since their are number of different personalities and brands in play. The overall secrecy of old hatters doesn't necessarily help either, but as I said I will do my best. I hope I answered your question and put any fears to rest.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge, Mr. Range. This is one of the more exciting threads I've seen lately! We look forward to getting to know you, and learning more about HATCO, which at times seems big, faceless, and monolithic. Thanks for coming foward to contribute to our community.

I should add, when will the new Cavanaghs be ready? I'll have to get one. That would make an interesting coda to a piece I'm working about John Cavanagh and Cavanagh Hats.

Brad

mingoslim

Practically Family
Hello HATCO Matt . . .

Glad to have you on board . . . and I hope to hear good things coming from HATCO.

My favorite hats (outside Art Fawcett, who is the King in my opinion) are mostly Stetsons . . . (I do have a Stevens I am quite fond of, and a Borso I wear a lot) . . .

Unfortunately, there were all made 50 years ago or more . . . But I would love to purchase hats like them "new" . . . and I hope that HatCo will give us the oportunity in the future . . . :)

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Welcome aboard

Hello Mr. Range, I have had the pleasure of dealing with Mr. S. R. in Garland. He is a fine Gentleman and has been quite helpful with a problem I had. It is good to see Hatco investigating the dress hat market again. I enjoy both dress and westerns from several Hatco brands and have no doubt more in the future.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Mathew

I felt bad I even asked the question. I look forward to seeing Hatco prosper and producing the hats that so are badly needed in this day and age.
Welcome to the lounge!!!:eusa_clap

Ah the good ole days:
stetsonflagandwhip.jpg

I'll take ten please. :D

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HOLY SMOKES!!!!

Welcome aboard Mr. Range!!!! There was rumor of your visiting as a guest and I am SO glad you decided to become a member. Now, perhaps so many of the questions that always seem to come up can be answered in an authoritative way instead of second guessing or interpretation ( which is usually wrong). It's most appreciated to have an avenue to the people that are in a position to know!!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Mr. Range! I own to Stetson Chathams from 2005, actually I'm wearing one right now. I loved them when I first got them, but several months later I discovered vintage Stetsons and the Chathams languished in the closet.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to take a look at the leather sweatbands from 50+ years ago and find a way to bring back that luxurious feel.

I do understand that some of my vintage Dobbs and Stetson hats cost $12 to $20 at a time when gold was $35 an ounce and the minimum wage was 75 cents(!) an hour and that the market for $150-$250 dress hats may not be there today.

If dress hats can really come back into style (believe me, I'm doing my part! :D ) perhaps the market for higher quality (and more expensive) dress hats will be there.

Again, welcome!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Thank-you Mr. Range, Since you are the Marketing Coordinator,we need to mention to you something we have all observed and have discussed among ourselves. Hatco obviously advertises to the Western market. In addition to ads in their media, you even have your brand on an arena that everybody in the country knows about. Yet, not one of us has seen a single ad for a dress fedora in more years than we can remember. The American market is advertising driven, period. You have a good product, which can be even better. Let people know about it.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome and thanks for joining! It's nice to have your company interacting with us.

I'm sure you'll feel free to explore other areas of the board and it's highly recommended! There are some excellent pictures to view, great notes on classic style and I'm sure you'll even find some tips you can take home after work!

I know many of us also enjoy cowboy hats as well, so feel free to keep us up on those (although I think we're all waiting with bated breath to hear about your dress hats).

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Range, The other hat I bought Saturday was a Knox (Dr. Knox model, color is graphite, 2 3/4" brim). It's an impressive hat. I hope it's one of yours. If it is, it will sell!:eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
Yes I would be willing to show members around the plant as long as they don't mind seeing a majority of western hats though the hat finishing process is very similar. The only caveat I will give you is that the tour will be 45 minutes to an hour. A bit longer if you would like to see the straws being made as well. The reason being is sadly, I have a lot on my plate. I can take groups of 3-4 at a time so if you can plan accordingly I would be more than willing to show you around a hat factory thats been around for almost 8 decades.

Mr. Range, Thanks for your kind offer. I am not sure who would be able to attend but I would like to schedule something for this week if possible. I am leaving for vacation this Saturday so, if you can add a tour to your plate, anytime between Tuesday and Friday, I am at your disposal. Of course, I completely understand if this will need to wait for a later date.
Once again, welcome to the lounge and we all look forward to your participation.

Carter

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Mr. Range!:eusa_clap I quite sure there will be mutual sharing of answers to questions in the near future.
I think the two concerns I would have with the current production models is the quality of the felt (will it wilt in the rain or bounce back similar to a vintage lid?) and the colorfastness (will the color run when wet?) I think this will be a recurring pair of questions on this forum for some time.
Again, welcome to the Lounge!

Cheers!

Dan

fatwoul

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
I felt bad I even asked the question. I look forward to seeing Hatco prosper and producing the hats that so are badly needed in this day and age...

CJ, I don't think you should feel bad for asking the question. Afterall, something else that is badly needed these days (unfortunately) is a little wariness in online communities where someone can pretend to be something they are not.

Everyone is teaching their kids to be careful when talking to people online, and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with politely leading by example, as you did in this thread.

That's just my 2p, not that it's really my place to say.

Anyway, hello HATCO! I'm a product photographer, so if you ever want top-notch photographs taking of any of your hats, just send some my way. 58 Long Oval, please. ;) :D

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Hi, Matthew -- let me echo the warm welcome already offered on this thread. There will certainly be many questions coming your way designed to help Loungers understand the history associated with their treasured vintage lids. At the same time, I am equally certain that there is a spirit here of doing whatever we can to assist Hatco's efforts to advance the modern art of hat-making to meet the classic styles and standards of yesteryear.

I certainly look forward to your contributions!

Cheers,
JtL

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
Hello

Greetings HATCO! I'm new here too! I've learned so much-Almost overload! haha...Well, looking forward to your insight. welcome!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Fatwoul,
Glad I didn't ruffle any feathers....My past military background still makes me a bit pessimistic and I tend to look/ask for credentials. True in this day and age on the internet...people try to pass themselves off as others just to mock.
Anyway...I am so glad that we have someone like Mr. Range that can answer questions and gather ideas from the FL.
Cheers
CJ

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hi Matthew. I dont think we met when I was last at the Stetson factory earlier this year . We have been dealing with Hatco since the factory made Resistol felt hats for the dress market. I am on the phone with Gary Rosenthal every week . I would love to talk to you more about the Stetson brand as everyone knows it is the most well known branded hat today on the market. It needs a little "push" in the quality control to get it up to where it was from a few years ago . I also hope to see more advertising done by Hatco as this is one of the biggest problems in the market today. In order to get the product out there , you need to advertise it and not just in the Clssic Style magazine. Those ads are great ,but that is to an audience that already knows the product. Magazines such as GQ have a far greater amount of readers who are very much affected by what they see in magazines.

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara