Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guidelines?

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
I would think that are guidelines when picking a fedora style hat, like to better match the wearer. I think a large headed person would look better in a different style of fedora as a small headed person. What are the basic guidelines? Like, for a well built person with wide shoulders, what would be recommended? How about somebody ala Arnie, built like a bodybuilder, what kind of fedora would look best? Wide brimmed, high crown?
Thanks for the input.

barrowjh

One Too Many
There are some guidelines posted at several spots: Hatlife.com, villagehatshop.com, millerhats.com.

It has taken me a long time to understand why everyone is so concerned about taper. Once you get it, you've got it, but it takes a bit to understand. We've all heard someone say, at one time or another, that fashion is all about line and form. The hats many of us love the most have crowns that rise straight up, stovepipe straight (ie, no taper or curve inwards), for 4 inches or more on the sides of our heads, and this is NOT common in current production fedoras. Akubra's Federation, Borsalino's Alessandria come fairly close, but the best are made by artisans working on a smaller scale (not a factory) such as Art Fawcett at vintagesilhouettes.com (I probably misspelled that), Graham Thompson at Optimo Hats in Chicago, Jim Whittington at JW Hats in SLC, etc.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks for those links. I had actually found one of them via google and I'm thinking of ordering one of their crushable hats. I will go back and see if I can find the guide. Thanks again.

P.S. Is there anything objectionable in a crushable hat? They seem to be cheaper than the other ones.

MattJH

One Too Many
retrofashion said:
Is there anything objectionable in a crushable hat? They seem to be cheaper than the other ones.

No, nothing at all! With the exception of the particularly stiff ones, most wool felt hats are crushable just based on the material they're made out of. Crushable fur felt hats are out there (Borsalino Traveller, Akubra Traveller, Akubra Casual, Akubra International), but they're obviously more expensive than their wool counterparts.

I have one Akubra Traveller in Regency Fawn and two Akubra Casuals in Regency Fawn and Carbon Gray. The pliofelt that they're made with is very nice.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
No, nothing at all! With the exception of the particularly stiff ones, most wool felt hats are crushable just based on the material they're made out of. Crushable fur felt hats are out there (Borsalino Traveller, Akubra Traveller, Akubra Casual, Akubra International), but they're obviously more expensive than their wool counterparts.

I have one Akubra Traveller in Regency Fawn and two Akubra Casuals in Regency Fawn and Carbon Gray. The pliofelt that they're made with is very nice.

Thanks. A crushable hat just seems more practical all together.

barrowjh said:
It has taken me a long time to understand why everyone is so concerned about taper. Once you get it, you've got it, but it takes a bit to understand. We've all heard someone say, at one time or another, that fashion is all about line and form. The hats many of us love the most have crowns that rise straight up, stovepipe straight (ie, no taper or curve inwards), for 4 inches or more on the sides of our heads, and this is NOT common in current production fedoras. Akubra's Federation, Borsalino's Alessandria come fairly close, but the best are made by artisans working on a smaller scale (not a factory) such as Art Fawcett at vintagesilhouettes.com (I probably misspelled that), Graham Thompson at Optimo Hats in Chicago, Jim Whittington at JW Hats in SLC, etc.

That's it, John. Interesting, ain't it?, that sometimes a thing must be pointed out, and then it becomes obvious. You gotta wonder why you couldn't quite say what it was about a particular hat that you liked, or didn't.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
retrofashion said:
I would think that are guidelines when picking a fedora style hat, like to better match the wearer. I think a large headed person would look better in a different style of fedora as a small headed person. What are the basic guidelines? Like, for a well built person with wide shoulders, what would be recommended? How about somebody ala Arnie, built like a bodybuilder, what kind of fedora would look best? Wide brimmed, high crown?
Thanks for the input.

Someone had posted a picture with a great list of face types and the style of hat that goes with each. any one recall seeing that link of where to find it?

MattJH

One Too Many
retrofashion said:
I would think a black hat matches pretty much any color. Like black shoes.
Is there anybody else who thinks it matches nothing?

Black goes with anything! It's the absence of color. It's not possible for it to clash.

Edward

Bartender
retrofashion said:
I would think a black hat matches pretty much any color. Like black shoes.
Is there anybody else who thinks it matches nothing?

As a rule I'd say black goes with anything, however I'm not sure that that applies in relation to strong browns. It's great with most anything else, but somethingl ike a chocolate brown black to be sits uneasy with. I'd say that's subjective, though. IMO, if you were only gonig to have one good hat, I'd be thinking that a black one would be a greeat one to go for - maybe only a mid grey would be better, as I think that would work better with browns, and just as black go well with pretty much anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran